PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a laptop

Cyborg
18th March 2007, 03:05
okay, the best deal i could find was building it with dell... here's the specs and price.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Windows Vista™ Home Premium
LCD PANEL 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™(glossy)
MEMORY 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
HARD DRIVE 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
OPTICAL DRIVE 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7300 TurboCache*
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Audio

$1,013

good deal? any other suggestions?

keep suggestions at about $1050 or less... i can go without if the price goes too high.

im probably going to roll back to windows xp pro if there are no compatability issues and if i get restore disks that i can load back to vista in a year or so...

-<<SyycK>>-
18th March 2007, 09:43
I hope that wasnt US dollars...

EDIT: wait... laptop... nvm

Cyborg
18th March 2007, 09:43
err.... make a suggestion then

::edit

okay... good deal?

-<<SyycK>>-
18th March 2007, 10:00
Looked around n couldn't find anything better.
I know people with Dell laptops and they seem to pleased with them, I wouldn't touch their desktops though.

Daedalus
18th March 2007, 10:16
That looks like a real good laptop to me. I'd buy it.

Paegus
18th March 2007, 14:53
not too sure about the video adapter but it come out much cheaper than any comparable sager notebook so why not...

Cyborg
18th March 2007, 18:11
yeah the video is comparable to a desktop pci-e x1300 which is what i have in my current desktop.

Sir Wankus Magpie
18th March 2007, 21:47
Nate you location says your still at Mr.Paintball....you lie!

btw on saturday i was staring at you while you were giving an old man his LCD screen...you didn't look up lol monica was with me too im surprised my coughing didn't make you look :)

anyways thats a good deal go for it

The.ViruS
18th March 2007, 23:20
Looked around n couldn't find anything better.
I know people with Dell laptops and they seem to pleased with them, I wouldn't touch their desktops though.

Why not? I work in an IT support department adn hey have done nothing but rave abouyt them.

Forgive the spelling, Im drunk. Will edit when sober.

Sil
19th March 2007, 07:26
I used to have a dell desktop. Works like a mule. Stubborn, full of tripe... but hardy.

Cyborg
19th March 2007, 08:05
I used to have a dell desktop. Works like a mule. Stubborn, full of tripe... but hardy.
yeah the tripe wont be a problem, msconfig ftw! anyone know a few other suggestions for getting rid of crappy software/ maxing computer speed?

oh yeah... if i get it im going to call Dell and say, "y'know that AOL, norton, and other third party software you guys graciously include?"

salesman, "I do."

me, "Yeah.... um... NO!"

::edit

sorry for not seeing you there, spankie my wankie... but it's just so busy sometimes.

Cyborg
19th March 2007, 08:20
sorry for the double post, but is it worth $25 to upgrade from 533mhz RAM to 667mhz ram? they're both 1gb

Paegus
19th March 2007, 09:56
having the ram match the FSB probably isn't a bad thing. it's a 25&#37; boost in speed so... why not. though i lol @ 667. why can't they be cool about it and say 666.6MHz like the math works it out as? how much does whacking it up to 2GB cost?

as for getting rid of the 'extras'... the first thing i do with OEM installs (after making sure i have the network card drivers on hand) is format and reinstall.

but that only works if you have something other than restore discs to use. nlite is fun though. you can pre-package your own junk.

Cyborg
19th March 2007, 17:13
oh yeah... didnt notice that the FSB was 667.... huh.... yeah that probably would be a good idea. its a lot to upgrade to new ram. its just better to buy completely new sticks and you still get the old ones.

Cyborg
21st March 2007, 03:38
after talking with dell, here is the new system specs and pricing:

17'' wide screen
intel core 2 duo 2.00 ghz clock 4mb l2 cache
1gb ram on a single module (get another 1gb module for about $70 from frys)
geforce 7900gs 256mb
120 gb hard drive

$1200

Demented
21st March 2007, 09:13
though i lol @ 667. why can't they be cool about it and say 666.6MHz like the math works it out as?

It was a conscious decision. I believe it was one of the Pentium processors where they decided that having the mark of the beast on a processor was a bad thing. Engineers are superstitious that way.

Daedalus
21st March 2007, 12:21
It was a conscious decision. I believe it was one of the Pentium processors where they decided that having the mark of the beast on a processor was a bad thing. Engineers are superstitious that way.

New pentium processor! Made by satan himself! Now you too can have this for the low low price of your soul!

Intel is not responsible for any loss of sanity caused by the horrible moans emitted by any damned souls inside the CPU.

Paegus
21st March 2007, 14:38
after talking with dell, here is the new system specs and pricing:

17'' wide screen
intel core 2 duo 2.00 ghz clock 4mb l2 cache
1gb ram on a single module (get another 1gb module for about $70 from frys)
geforce 7900gs 256mb
120 gb hard drive

$1200

better display, better cpu, better video card. is dual channel ddr memory even possible in notebooks? if so see if you can scrounge some of that instead. otherwise get the extra gb anyway but make sure it matches the speeds because it'll run at the lowest speed.

speaking of dell, their commercials (at least in britain) are hilarious
-do you surf the web and listen to MP3s?
-yes.
-then you'll need a dual core so you can run more than one app at once!

THAT SO COOL!

superstitious engineers
more like marketing pansies.

Daedalus
21st March 2007, 15:55
-yes.

THAT SO COOL!

Gotta love people who have no idea how a computer works...

Cyborg
21st March 2007, 23:20
-yes.

THAT SO COOL!

isn't claiming that you need a dual core to run 2 applications at once dangerously close to false advertising?

Paegus
21st March 2007, 23:41
not at all... it's a little known marketing ploy referred secretively to as LYING

Ging
21st March 2007, 23:49
isn't claiming that you need a dual core to run 2 applications at once dangerously close to false advertising?

Nah, PC World does the same thing in it's tv adverts - "it's got an intel core 2 duo, so you can download music and stream videos off the web at the same time!"...

God those adverts annoy me, if only because they're just so damned stupid.

Paegus
21st March 2007, 23:55
hmm i suppose if they word it like that... "it has a processor" therefore "you can do stuff"

Demented
22nd March 2007, 04:01
Well, I suppose if the alternative was a computer that didn't have a processor...

Cyborg
22nd March 2007, 06:45
yeah thats true... thanks for including processors in your computers, Dell!

an update on the original thread... i ordered it on monday night for about 1400 after tax and all that jazz... also if it breaks they'll supposedly come out to my house and fix it (after they determine its a hardware problem)

that should be good so i dont have to send it in. anyone have experience with dell 'customer support'?