PDA

View Full Version : some stuff

lcpuche
17th March 2007, 17:31
First with a suggestion

1. environmental traps
maybe for maps

-You are walking around a map and a container falls on you :D
-you go in a room and the door is locked with a tick as poisonous gas is coming out
- good old holes (trapdoors, rotten, floor etc)
-ceiling that would squeeze you in the touch of a button
-a turned on saw-machine thingy slices anything in its path at the push of a button
-a room full of explosives

2. stuff that makes no sense

-how can the hidden see his hands if he is invisible
-how come the knife and pipe bombs are invisible (is it a genetically mutated knife :rolleyes: )

Ion67
17th March 2007, 17:40
I can answer the second section. He doesn't "see" he senses. That is why his hands are visible, and everything else. His pipebombs and knife are invisible because he generates some field *not completely sure on this* and they become invisible too.

lcpuche
17th March 2007, 17:42
but then small stuff he can throw would be invisible too :confused:

Ion67
17th March 2007, 17:45
The only thing I can think is that he either doesn't hold them close enough, or that it has to do with the fact that he made them.

lcpuche
17th March 2007, 17:46
im still confused :p

Paegus
17th March 2007, 17:46
official explanation is something along that lines of: he's been holding onto the knife and pipebombs for so long that they've become saturated by his light-bending bio-electric field. so theoretically it is possible for other small objects to become invisible if he held them long enough but the full blown containment team will have arrived on the scene long before that happens (the round timer expired) so coding in the effect is a pointless waste of time. and it wouldn't be all that interesting to hide somewhere holding something small for most of the round just so it turns invisible.

as for the phys traps that's up to the mapper. B5 will have some but not the more cheesy ones.

lcpuche
17th March 2007, 17:48
as for the phys traps. B5 will have some. but not some of the more cheesy ones.

AWSOME! i really want to see that! :)

are they deadly (immediate kill)

typhon
17th March 2007, 19:16
so you sugest making the hidden's weapons visable ?

Prometheus
17th March 2007, 19:30
O yes indeed. Baths falling onto people do tend to kill instantly ;)

Daedalus
17th March 2007, 23:09
lcpuche, your avatar seems to perfectly describe my thoughts in most of my IRIS rounds. :D

Isolation
17th March 2007, 23:45
First with a suggestion

1. environmental traps
maybe for maps

-You are walking around a map and a container falls on you :D
-you go in a room and the door is locked with a tick as poisonous gas is coming out
- good old holes (trapdoors, rotten, floor etc)
-ceiling that would squeeze you in the touch of a button
-a turned on saw-machine thingy slices anything in its path at the push of a button
-a room full of explosives

I actually have all those things in my upcoming Beta 5 map, Forsaken. And I do mean all (though, you'd have to replace "saw-machine thingy" with spikes, and crushing ceiling with walls).

lcpuche
18th March 2007, 00:46
I actually have all those things in my upcoming Beta 5 map, Forsaken. And I do mean all (though, you'd have to replace "saw-machine thingy" with spikes, and crushing ceiling with walls).

spikes are even better :o

might have some problems with models stuck in wall though

Isolation
18th March 2007, 03:30
might have some problems with models stuck in wall though

Actually, there is not. I've already tested the walls and they work fine under Beta 5 (they work in Beta 4 also, they just don't reset on the next round).

Cheesey
18th March 2007, 09:35

It's really funny, I just played your released forsaken version and now I've read this post... Icpuche, are you shure you haven't played this map before? Almost the same ideas and ALL of them on this map... that's odd...:eek:

Paegus
18th March 2007, 14:56
they just don't reset on the next round).

they're just force-closed doors aren't they? logic_auto > onmapstart, trap*, open?

lcpuche
18th March 2007, 16:08
It's really funny, I just played your released forsaken version and now I've read this post... Icpuche, are you shure you haven't played this map before? Almost the same ideas and ALL of them on this map... that's odd...:eek:

umm not really

how about those original saunas they are funny
or a hole with water that if you don't find the lever on the bottom you can't escape and drown :D

ProgrammedToConsume
18th March 2007, 18:33
Spikes, ceiling that crushes you, container that crushes you. Your traps sound suspisciously similar to those from the Mortal Kombat games. Why have death traps when you have a squad of iris hunting a nearly invisible death machine like 617?

Isolation
18th March 2007, 19:59
they're just force-closed doors aren't they? logic_auto > onmapstart, trap*, open?

I seriously need to do this... I just keep forgetting to when I open the map up, and end up doing something structure/decal related.

Spikes, ceiling that crushes you, container that crushes you. Your traps sound suspisciously similar to those from the Mortal Kombat games. Why have death traps when you have a squad of iris hunting a nearly invisible death machine like 617?

Because it's fun to kill IRIS in ways much different than a knife or phys kills. Pushing someone into a room, closing the door and crushing him? Dropping an elevator on him? Yeah, new ways to make people go squish is always good.

lcpuche
18th March 2007, 21:00
I seriously need to do this... I just keep forgetting to when I open the map up, and end up doing something structure/decal related.

Because it's fun to kill IRIS in ways much different than a knife or phys kills. Pushing someone into a room, closing the door and crushing him? Dropping an elevator on him? Yeah, new ways to make people go squish is always good.

talking about elevators how about those in james bond movies that the floor opens and the victims falls to an acidic container :)

Cheesey
18th March 2007, 22:52
That might be a lil bit too Bond-ish! ;)

But those traps are a really nice idea. Even if you don't kill the IRIS, you'll frighten him alot if an elevator crashes right behind him, or his mate gets stomped by a container :D!

Keep on doing this map, wanna stab IRIS in staircases and scare them with the new jimmeh! :D

@Icpuche, there is a map, I think dispatch, where you have to find another exit under water. It's no trap, but if you don't find the exit fast enough you could also drawn ;)

ProgrammedToConsume
18th March 2007, 23:45
it's fun to kill IRIS in ways much different than a knife or phys kills. Pushing someone into a room, closing the door and crushing him? Dropping an elevator on him? Yeah, new ways to make people go squish is always good.

I like the way you think.

Deathtraps+server full of noobs+smart hidden=freaked out noobs(aka fun)

Does it get any more satisfying than crushing someone under the weight of an incredibly heavy object? I think not. Well, maybe throwing them in a gigantic meat grinder would be great, after feeding on a corpse you'd throw it in when noobs come by...absolute horrer. Say, could that be done?

Isolation
19th March 2007, 00:39
Yes, very possible. It's just a matter of someone sitting and actually building it.

Paegus
19th March 2007, 00:44
hmm i tried that a while back but the only reliable way i found to actually gib the corpse is to pigstick/punt it.

though i suppose you could set up a gib shooter that's triggered when a corpse_ragdoll hits a trigger. but then you'd need various different shooters for each breakable object you can drop in.

i'll have to try that again some time.

Isolation
19th March 2007, 01:05
If it were me, I'd probably use trigger_hurt - Crush, I think. I use it a lot in Forsaken, and I think it's used on Highrise to frag IRIS that fall off the edge.

Paegus
19th March 2007, 01:10
i meant once the corpse is a corpse. killing a live player is easy. having a dead corpse, dropping it in a 'grinder' and having gibs fly out is slightly different.

Isolation
19th March 2007, 01:13
My mind is somewhere else... sorry. Gibbing a corpse just requires a huge damage attack, doesn't it? I know the PS can, and on occasion I've seen bodies get crushed and gibbed.

Paegus
19th March 2007, 01:14
but you can fling corpses off of highrise and discovery and they don't gib. as for physics interactions i suppose it's possible but i've never managed to do it intentionally other than PS/Punting the corpse.

ProgrammedToConsume
19th March 2007, 01:51
As long as I can punt the iris(dead or alive) into a meat grinder or a flaming, acidic, or whatever deathtrap I'll be satisfied.

Also, the implication of my statement wasn't whether you COULD do it, but if you WOULD do it.

Isolation
19th March 2007, 02:07
Also, the implication of my statement wasn't whether you COULD do it, but if you WOULD do it.

Uh...

Say, could that be done?

You can see where the confusion might have come about ;) . Will I? Not in Forsaken, for there is nowhere it can fit. Forsaken's real estate is 100% spoken for, with no free space anywhere (that could properly fit a grinder or something similar anyway).

ProgrammedToConsume
19th March 2007, 02:11
Ah, shit. Well I'm sure it will be great without such. You making any more?

Isolation
19th March 2007, 04:42
Ah, shit. Well I'm sure it will be great without such. You making any more?

If you mean maps... I am not sure yet. Source is starting to grow thin for me. If some spark of inspiration strikes me I might, but I bet a better mapper would take up the challenge sooner.

Dark Soul
19th March 2007, 07:23
I'm adding a vent system to hdn_dispatch,when you turn on the fan it sucks up anyone thats in the vents,and cuts them up into lil bits:D .The only problem i have is i suck at making vents.

Cheesey
19th March 2007, 13:00
I'm adding a vent system to hdn_dispatch,when you turn on the fan it sucks up anyone thats in the vents,and cuts them up into lil bits:D .The only problem i have is i suck at making vents.

Yeah, that might be a problem :D! (Left a post on your map-page, took a walk through the map, somethings to fix ;) )

Dark Soul
19th March 2007, 15:16
You may want to go to the hiddenites forum if you want to see the newest build ;).(lol,the fake vent is still their.)

Edit*
Aw crap,i just looked.You're not a hiddenit are you?

Cheesey
19th March 2007, 18:03
Edit*
Aw crap,i just looked.You're not a hiddenit are you?

Nope! Sorry mate... I can only take the stuff thrown in THIS forum...
(But maybe it's better to get the conversation into your WIP hdn_dispatch thread ;) )