PDA

View Full Version : View Tracking in Games

Night Raider
11th March 2007, 01:47
Is this the next step in gaming immersion?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4928428714571383685&hl=en

I gotta say, I'm impressed by the technology. Sounds like a good idea all around. Definitely considering buying one of these things.

Zabiela
11th March 2007, 03:04
Wow, thats really awesome. Thats really what combat and vehicle games lack, the ability to look around without changing position, or having to run diagonally.
I can see this getting seriously picked up by gaming. There are some inconveniences though. First of all, I hate wearing hats, and would rather a light strap or something, im sure they can make the whole thing smaller too. What if im playing and I need to get up to answer the phone, I guess it should have a on/off switch. I also hope the motion exaggeration is tweakable, so you can look side to side just by nudging your head a little. Also the less exaggeration, the more you will have to move your eyes to keep them on the screen, which could get tiring.

Btw- that game they're playing. I think I know it but I cant remember the name, a battlefieldish type game, huge maps and very realistic, in gameplay... operation something I think.

Paegus
11th March 2007, 03:07
honestly? so long as you're stuck having to look at a fixed monitor it'll be too counter-intuitive. just glue some miniature LCDs and the various lensings to that cap and sync them up so your view tracks directly. as is it's just glaringly cheap rip off of VR... without the VR bit.

Night Raider
11th March 2007, 03:08
Btw- that game they're playing. I think I know it but I cant remember the name, a battlefieldish type game, huge maps and very realistic, in gameplay... operation something I think.

I think you mean Operation Flashpoint, but the game shown in the video is Armed Assault, a spiritual sucessor created by the same developers.

Zabiela
11th March 2007, 03:12
honestly? so long as you're stuck having to look at a fixed monitor it'll be too counter-intuitive. just glue some miniature LCDs and the various lensings to that cap and sync them up so your view tracks directly. as is it's just glaringly cheap rip off of VR... without the VR bit.

Not having the freedom to look away gets annoying imo.

Demented
11th March 2007, 03:51
Ew.

It'd work with a VR helmet, but only with a VR helmet. Of course, VR helmets would never work without this, so it's clearly a symbiotic relationship in the making, and one that is probably overdue, considering that neither will (or would) make it without the either.

I'm not comfortable with having to tilt/turn my head to look at the screen, or not look at the screen, as the case may be.

Paegus
11th March 2007, 10:04
it's a wii remote attached to a hat... i seriously doubt it'll catch on without a screen that rotates with the head.

Knigh7s
11th March 2007, 12:19
I don't know about you guys. but this is pretty old stuff, I used to use this for the old MechWarrior games as well as CS1.4+ and some other war/aircraft/racing games, back when all you had to do was put a reflective dot(TrackIR3) (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-TrackIR-3-PRO.html) on your forehead, hat or headsets. This has been around for at least 6-7 years. And alot of games can be configured to utilize at least 3 out of the 6 axes. (long before the wii remote or 6 axis PS3 remote)

In response to:

There are some inconveniences though. First of all, I hate wearing hats, and would rather a light strap or something, im sure they can make the whole thing smaller too.

Check This (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-TrackClip-PRO.html). Still a bit bulky, I liked it when all you needed was one reflective dot...

Not having the freedom to look away gets annoying imo.
This doesn't control the direction you are moving, that is still controled by your mouse/keyboard, all this does is let you look around. So if you look away from your computer, it wont really hinder gameplay, because when you continue playing, you look straight on. (does that make sense, it is 4:31 in the morning =P )

Anthon
11th March 2007, 18:08
Had one of these for a few weeks now :) (with the light thingy that attaches to headphones, looks marginaly less silly than the hat:p ). Its not counter-intuitive at all, I soon forget I'm wearing it and stop having to think about turning my head.

Really comes into its own in flightsims (which is what it was originally designed for afaik), to the point where I'd say its not worth playing without one.

I've yet to try it in an on foot game as in the video but I can't really see it being that great. Maybe I'm missing something but being able to move your head around seperately seems pretty pointless in that scenario.

Its useful in flightsims and racing games because you really need both hands free to control the vehicle, meaning you can't use the mouse for panning your view. However thats not the case with fps games, so I don't really see it catching on in them.

Felf
11th March 2007, 18:31
What happens when you want to rotate 360 degrees (ie. turn round)? You can't turn round in your chair. I don't like it, but it could suit *some* games.

Daedalus
11th March 2007, 19:19
What happens when you want to rotate 360 degrees

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/9859/1118501740234bombsp1.jpg

Don't do it.

Anthon
11th March 2007, 19:52
What happens when you want to rotate 360 degrees (ie. turn round)? You can't turn round in your chair. I don't like it, but it could suit *some* games.
You can turn 180 (look behind you) by turning your real head about 30 degrees at the default sensitivity, if you increase it a lot it should be possible to do 360, at the cost of accuracy.
TBH I don't really see this ever becoming more than a niche item for simmers, but with the right games it really is awesome.:D

Zabiela
11th March 2007, 23:48
Don't do it.

Thanks for making me laugh today. :D

Chas0r
12th March 2007, 08:47
Nothing really new and imo also ridiculous for serious gaming, since you can very easily check our surroundings with normal mouse look.

Turning your head while watching at the stationary screen will be annoying at the very least. And just think of all the axis, take the Z-axis for instance: Am i supposed to move my head closer to the screen then? They should provide some minum specs for the required anatomy -.-

I think if something like this should be used at all, it had to be a helmet with mini-screens inside.
I know.. spoiling the party :)

Ging
12th March 2007, 09:04
It doesn't take into account translation, only rotation, so z-axis is tilting your head from side to side.

Chas0r
12th March 2007, 15:01
It doesn't take into account translation, only rotation, so z-axis is tilting your head from side to side.
I think the device does. The rotation *around* the z-axis is refered to as "rolling" (in the upper right), while z-axis really is position.
The game however doesn't make use of this.
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/1313/tmpas4.jpg

Ging
12th March 2007, 16:25
Ahh, maybe then - it wasn't overly clear from the video.

Can't See
13th March 2007, 19:48
I just bought Armed Assault from online. 45 min left in download. Looks very good :)

Felf
14th March 2007, 20:48
EDIT: LAGGED even... like hell on my comp :(

As for the view trackers: OK, you can turn 180degrees and walk off on the other direction... But then you've got to hold your head at a slight angle from the screen for the rest of the game, or risk turning back round! :O Zounds! I don't like this at all.