PDA

View Full Version : new battlefield trailer...

Paegus
4th March 2007, 15:44
Haha, its pretty funny

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mtwf6YZdmfU

"Do we LOOK like brothers to you?"

nicked from yonder (http://www.cdg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45434) forum

something tells me they nicked the banter from somewhere... but i can't for the life of me figure out where...

Night Raider
4th March 2007, 15:55
Eww consoles.

Nah, just kidding. Still, I hate how all the great PC franchises always become console franchises and fuck it all up. Deus Ex? Call of Duty? Rainbow Six? Ghost Recon? I could go on and on.

Paegus
4th March 2007, 16:15
well you've got to admit that at the end of the day consoles are just plain better for gaming as everyone on a given console is playing on the exact same field. there's no hardware compatibility or performance issues to spend mucho dollaros working out like their are with PCs.

if they came out with a good console that made proper use of mouse and keyboard PC gaming would be all but destroyed.

though i'd rather they made inter-console communication work so the same game on PS2/3, XBox and WII could all play together... then the PC players could jack in and own everyone with their lightning fast mouse-pointer aided precision aiming... assuming they get a high enough frame-rate...

Dr.SharK
4th March 2007, 16:22
I was pleasently surprised by this trailer.

Night Raider
4th March 2007, 17:16
well you've got to admit that at the end of the day consoles are just plain better for gaming as everyone on a given console is playing on the exact same field. there's no hardware compatibility or performance issues to spend mucho dollaros working out like their are with PCs. Yeah, but the expenses are payed elsewhere. HDTVs, bigger hard drives, HD-DVD disc readers, and $69.99 games all come to mind.

though i'd rather they made inter-console communication work so the same game on PS2/3, XBox and WII could all play together... then the PC players could jack in and own everyone with their lightning fast mouse-pointer aided precision aiming... assuming they get a high enough frame-rate...

High enough frame rates? The PC has already got better hardware than the Ps3 and 360. DX10 and Core 2 Quadros, anyone?

Sonic
4th March 2007, 17:27
if they came out with a good console that made proper use of mouse and keyboard PC gaming would be all but destroyed.

Heard of the Xbox 360?

Paegus
4th March 2007, 17:42
High enough frame rates? The PC has already got better hardware than the Ps3 and 360. DX10 and Core 2 Quadros, anyone?
depends on the hardware and software configs though doesn't it. and DX10? vista can blow me..

Heard of the Xbox 360?

so you can play any and all 360 games using a mouse and keyboard gaining the benefits thereof? that's news to me.

Alt
4th March 2007, 18:07
What game was that?

QReaper
4th March 2007, 18:15
Deus Ex? Call of Duty? Rainbow Six? Ghost Recon? I could go on and on.
Desu Ex: True
Call of Duty: True
Rainbow Six: You lie.
Ghost Recon: lol wtf no ur rong

It was Battlefield 2: Bad Company, and I know someone that works on it, he's also working on Nuclear Dawn.:D

Night Raider
4th March 2007, 18:49
Rainbow Six- Remember the good old times when you had to use... oh I dunno... tactics? Now it's simply an action shooter, dumbed down for 360 gamepads.

Ghost Recon- Same as above, but now add bugs, bugs, and more bugs.

QReaper
4th March 2007, 18:55
How many times have you played Attack & Defend as the Defenders? You need a load of tactics or you lose in 50 seconds.

Night Raider
4th March 2007, 18:59
I dare you to play the first Ghost Recon and complete the first mission without dying once, something easily done in the newest Ghost Recon.

QReaper
4th March 2007, 20:48
Turn up the difficulty.:p

starstriker1
4th March 2007, 21:34
Dying on the first mission is an indication of poor game and level design. :P

Night Raider
4th March 2007, 22:15
Thankfully you can switch between teammates, which means death isn't an instantaneous game over.

And Ghost Recon, even on the easiest difficulty setting, is very challenging.

Something I hate about the Xbox is that it grabbed the Ghost Recon franchise, twisted it all up, turned it from an FPS to a third-person shooter, and called it Ghost Recon 2. I'll probably never forgive Ubisoft for that.

Gusdor
4th March 2007, 23:37
Damn, no wonder they didnt want to hire me. That animation was sweet

Sir Wankus Magpie
6th March 2007, 17:19
I'd say that was a very cute trailer indeed

had a couple chuckles and such. I would rather have a BF2 with larger maps and more player support. I wish next gen didn't just mean better physics and graphics....I want larger scale!

Demented
6th March 2007, 21:22
Let's see... first map in Ghost Recon... I died... 3 times? 4 times? 7 times!
I can't remember. I can't remember if I died constantly or just reloaded to try different loadouts. So fuzzy...

'Course, it doesn't help when the bullets are actually realistic in how easily they incapacitate you, and the enemies are damn hard to see. "**** you, foliage!"

As far as larger scale... you can't have that AND better graphics. Especially not with destructible terrain. (Not that I saw any in that trailer. Just debris.)
Well, I suppose you can, but take your performance, crap on it, and shovel it into a toilet. With dirt. Then flush.

Low performance on a console is just inexcusable.
Blah, I say. I want to summon 50,000 frickin' enemies and then go to town with a grenade launcher!

Isolation
6th March 2007, 21:41
Deus Ex 2 did not suck because it was on Xbox (the PS2 version of DX1 was a pretty faithful port of the original), it sucked because the gameplay was dumbed down to attract a wider player base.

Demented
6th March 2007, 22:51
Truly.
Aspects of the game may have sucked because it was on Xbox, but as a whole, the game sucked for a separate reason. Primarily, stupid design decisions. "Let's, like, make a sequel! And let's, uh, completely redesign everything! With complete ignorance to what made the original great! Yah, let's do that! ...It works with movies."

I kind of liked DX2 once I finally got a hold of it. Admittedly, the game had little business being called Deus Ex 2. Kind of like what happened with Unreal 2.

Isolation
6th March 2007, 22:55
Bear in mind, DX2 was never called DX2. It was DX: Invisible War. Probably how they got away with so many changes. The game took about half way to get good, when the story from DX1 starts showing its head again. Still hate DX2's weapons and lack of "level up".

Zabiela
6th March 2007, 23:59
Im downloading the GRAW demo because i've never played it and I should see what they did with the games. Ghost recon was a great game.

Demented
7th March 2007, 00:22
Basically, it's like Ghost Recon, only, you can order your soldiers to get shot instead of having to lead them into the line of fire yourself. Plus, you have a lot more health, and your soldiers will occasionally spot targets for you.

(I can scarcely remember a time, in Ghost Recon or the GRAW demo, where the soldiers ever actually did anything. I had much better luck with Rainbow Six. A well-planned strike almost didn't need the player in the first place.)

Paegus
7th March 2007, 00:32
not even to issue go-codes?

Zabiela
8th March 2007, 19:37
(I can scarcely remember a time, in Ghost Recon or the GRAW demo, where the soldiers ever actually did anything. I had much better luck with Rainbow Six. A well-planned strike almost didn't need the player in the first place.)

Im really amazed at how they totally fucked up the AI. I've resorted to just leaving my teamates on "follow" because they're too stupid to do anything else. Every time i'd try to set them up in defensive positions, behind a wall or something, one idiot always has to run out into the open, infront of an mg nest, and take 10 minutes to realise whats shooting giant bullets at him.
I also did about 90% of the killing, and I fear that wont work in the later missions.

Daedalus
8th March 2007, 19:40
I hate console-only games. :<

You can't get consoles here for a reasonable price, then there's the games which are relatively expensive in my country.

Plus the only one that seems to be available is the PS2, which I'm not too keen on. At least the xbox 360 has xbox live and the wii has the wiimote.

Zabiela
8th March 2007, 19:43
I hate console-only games. :<

Im playing this on my pc :confused:

Can't See
8th March 2007, 19:55
Ghost recon was great.
Ghost recon 2 was the best of the bunch with expansion packs Desert seige and Jungle something.

Rainbow 6 raven shield was good also

GRAW for PC was extremely good BUT VERY VERY difficult. Even the first mission was a complete pain in the ass to complete cause it is sooooo long and only one shot and you gone.

The part where you come to the big court yard and they have a Heavy MG in the center and a truck rolls up on the far right with some other guys. That part is tough alone. Coop it is alot better.

Demented
8th March 2007, 20:13
Daed is probably talking about that obscure old thing nobody ever remembers anymore. You know, the thread topic. =P

@Paegus
"Almost" without a player. =P Unless you get fancy with the go-codes, the AI could probably do that without much trouble as well.

What's more curious is that I hear the AI in R6:LV is reasonably useful. Assuming the original Ghost Recon's AI was as spiffy as I recall, why would the Ghost Recon series AI be worse than the Rainbow 6 series AI?

Zabiela
8th March 2007, 20:24
why would the Ghost Recon series AI be worse than the Rainbow 6 series AI?

Ill have fraps running next time I play so that I can show you the pathfinding.

Daedalus
8th March 2007, 21:11
Daed is probably talking about that obscure old thing nobody ever remembers anymore. You know, the thread topic. =P

Yeah, GOW, the new Battlefield game, and the fact that some new pc games are crappy console ports. (SCDA being a real nice example)

Paegus
8th March 2007, 23:13
@Paegus
"Almost" without a player. =P Unless you get fancy with the go-codes, the AI could probably do that without much trouble as well.

in Rogue Spear (etc) & Raven Shield the go-codes where just for gatherings points to sync up actions. too bad recon missions never got that popular...