PDA

View Full Version : HDN_Nova_revisited (name subject to change)

Dr.SharK
3rd March 2007, 09:22
Okay, I'm currently working on an entirely new Nova map. It'll feel like the old in certain ways, but will still be COMPLETELY different. The layout I have drawn has 2 levels. The "control" room from the last nova is still there-- sorta. It's now a hexagon which contains 2 levels. It's gonna look kinda cool :)

It's going to be much larger than before, and not as cramped. The Hidden will also have plenty of vents that he can traverse, and there will be EVUL CELL DOORS!!!1one again. You know, the ones that instagib you? Yep, those ones.

Anyway, I'm gonna make a PAINFULLY large script which should randomly pick ANY light in the map and turn it off every 5 seconds. This idea might get scrapped though, since VRad would need to make lightmaps for all those "when X light is turned off, light from Y should look like A". I'm trying it out once the map is finished, then I'll see if it's worth having in there- since it should add quite a lot of megabytes to the file size.

I'm drawing out the second level of the map right as we speak, but I can already tell now that it's going to be rather dark and creepy: It's definately not going to be as light as Nova (1?).

I hope I atleast got someone psyched about this, I am myself, that's for sure. Heck, I even stopped playing WoW for an entire day to make this-- quite an achievement I think.

Going to upload the drawings soon enough, but It won't be before I've done the second level of the map.

Cheers!

,-Dr.SharK

Boxy
3rd March 2007, 09:37
Anyway, I'm gonna make a PAINFULLY large script which should randomly pick ANY light in the map and turn it off every 5 seconds. This idea might get scrapped though, since VRad would need to make lightmaps for all those "when X light is turned off, light from Y should look like A". I'm trying it out once the map is finished, then I'll see if it's worth having in there- since it should add quite a lot of megabytes to the file size.

I wouldn't do this. Origin originally (gag?) had four 'sets' of lights that would turn on and off at random to give that 'this-place-is-falling-apart' feel but when it had all four lightmaps on at the same time is was robbing me of about 20fps! I was forced to be inventive and trim it right back to two lightmaps, the standard 'all on' set and a second with some turned off. This was acceptable, anymore tends to hammer the FPS. It's your call but I wouldn't try it in Source with changing lightmaps...

Dr.SharK
3rd March 2007, 09:43
I wouldn't do this. Origin originally (gag?) had four 'sets' of lights that would turn on and off at random to give that 'this-place-is-falling-apart' feel but when it had all four lightmaps on at the same time is was robbing me of about 20fps! I was forced to be inventive and trim it right back to two lightmaps, the standard 'all on' set and a second with some turned off. This was acceptable, anymore tends to hammer the FPS. It's your call but I wouldn't try it in Source with changing lightmaps...

Like I said, I'll try it out and see what kind of impact it has, both on FPS and size. Thanks for the feedback, by the way.

,-Dr.SharK

Demented
3rd March 2007, 10:00
You can't have more than something like 32 lights with different names in a map.
Multiple lights with the same name count as a single light.

More than a handful of lights in the same room (very few) with different names will cause errors, since Valve's version of BSP can't handle too many lightmap variations.

Dr.SharK
4th March 2007, 06:00
You can't have more than something like 32 lights with different names in a map.
Multiple lights with the same name count as a single light.

More than a handful of lights in the same room (very few) with different names will cause errors, since Valve's version of BSP can't handle too many lightmap variations.

I guess that settles it then. I'm definately going to have more light sources than that :)

Anyway, I'm having some trouble with my scanner (It doesen't seem to scan my letters and some walls, since it doesen't scan the thin lines properly)
I COULD try to draw it up in Photoshop though-- But I'm a complete retard at it :-p

Dr.SharK
9th March 2007, 15:16
Sorry for the lack of updates, but I still haven't fixed the problem with the scanner. I just started basic brushwork, so I hope I can show you something very soon :)

,-Dr.SharK

Cheesey
16th March 2007, 10:51
Don't hurry yourself that much... we'll awayt the first screenies...

I'll give you one day to fix it, otherways you'll go surfing with concrete-slippers... comprendé? :D

Dr.SharK
28th May 2007, 13:44
Riight, a bit late here. Sorry about that.

Since I just started actually REALLY playing Hidden again, I thought I might aswell start on the map. The original papers gone missing, but thou shalt no phear (or well, please do), my 1337 paint xkillz.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1086/nova2topzn4.jpg

Here it is.

I'm just starting on what it is to be the outside area. Once I have done enough, I will show you some screenies (Got a raid tonight, so might not happen for a few days)

,-Dr.SharK

Daedalus
28th May 2007, 17:20
You broke the forums. :(

Demented
28th May 2007, 20:36
You pansy, Daed. Get a 1280x screen resolution.

Dr.SharK
29th May 2007, 14:48
Fine, I'll post thumbnails from now on.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8719/novawip2hg8.th.jpg (http://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=novawip2hg8.jpg)

Early WIP of the lower right area of the map.
The security building may NOT be entered, and you may NOT pass the gate where the truck is.
Any comments is appriciated. :)

,-Dr.SharK

Subface Normal
30th May 2007, 01:18
Meh... hard to tell from the images right now since it's obviously still a WIP... But keep it up! I'm liking the layout so far...

Cheesey
31st May 2007, 17:11
It's also a lil bit weird. You did a screenshot where you can see one building and one door, but BOTH of them CANT be entered/walked through :D!

Will there be also again this funky blue and red room? :D

Dr.SharK
7th June 2007, 10:14
Will there be also again this funky blue and red room? :D

That was just a homeage to my clan :p

Anyways, I've done the entrance, and I'm starting on the cell "circle" right about now.

Gonna do a testcompile soon, so you can see some non-hammer shots.

Cheesey
7th June 2007, 13:30
I'd be glad if I could be a map-hiddenite for your map ;) Please tell me, when it's ready! :)