PDA

View Full Version : Community Created Levels

Boxy
27th February 2007, 19:03
Many people have wanted to create levels for the Hidden but struggle to get them played by the masses or even noticed once they are done. We here at Hidden HQ feel this is a shame and until now have been relatively stand off-ish on getting too involved with the level design community. With HEX approaching and Beta 5 relatively imminent (Valve time (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_time)™) I've decided to add a 'Community Created (http://www.hidden-source.com/media.htm#levelscomm)' area on the media page.

This area will show the greatest of the community level design efforts and will quite possibly have inclusion in future releases of Hidden (although this will require team agreement, I'll keep you posted) so that everyone will get to play the best the community has to offer as well as the homebrew stuff we throw at you.

So, if you have a level in the works and think it's good enough to be stamped up as the best of the Communty Created and be in future releases, get cracking. Post your screens and links in the mapping forums as usual and you will be contacted if yours comes up to scratch. Have your name in lights and a lovely badge to boot...
http://www.hidden-source.com/media/comm_badge.jpg

I already have a few level designers from the community in my sights, watch the media page and here for updates.

Phaedrus
27th February 2007, 19:17
Very cool.

The.ViruS
27th February 2007, 20:00
If you would like ill donate hiddenites.co.uk for the cause.

Boxy
28th February 2007, 07:52
Might be useful as a standard area for peons to put the maps up for me to grab them if I'm interested or a a level depository. I'll nudge you about it when I get back from work tonight.

Isolation
28th February 2007, 08:57
<_<
>_>

Boxy, by the love of all things holy, please tell me you got Freakadelle's hdn_resident sitting somewhere, ready to be included in B5. Of ALL the Community maps I've seen (screenshots and bsp's), that map was without a doubt one of the better looking...

Matto
28th February 2007, 12:32
:D Awesome idea

The.ViruS
28th February 2007, 17:06
Might be useful as a standard area for peons to put the maps up for me to grab them if I'm interested or a a level depository. I'll nudge you about it when I get back from work tonight.

Excellent.

Boxy
28th February 2007, 17:18
<_<
>_>

Boxy, by the love of all things holy, please tell me you got Freakadelle's hdn_resident sitting somewhere, ready to be included in B5. Of ALL the Community maps I've seen (screenshots and bsp's), that map was without a doubt one of the better looking...

Probability...100%. The man was supposed to be fixing up 'problems' it had, but he never seems to have got round to it and I cant include the version I have at present. We talking models you walk straight through that you shouldn't etc. The levels I have in mind are supposed to be secret...

Isolation
28th February 2007, 21:33
Well, hdn_resident was not so secret to those who kept track of that thread ;)

As for other maps, however, I have not the foggiest...

Paegus
28th February 2007, 23:26
dispatch comes to mind... it's a bit stalkyardy but looks very nice none the less.

maybe highwaters but it just didn't seem to take off that well.

brechtos
1st March 2007, 18:01
Nice Idea.
Interested to c wich maps get added:)

Cheesey
16th March 2007, 11:32
That's a really great idea! So that's why everybody is working on a (new) map :D

Do "older" ones also have a chance (if they get all HDR-bling-blinged and B5-ready)?

Boxy
16th March 2007, 18:21
Any level is in 'with a chance', age doesnt concern me, its quality that counts here...

Subface Normal
22nd April 2007, 19:01
With that in mind I'm going back to working on Balimaur right now :)

Anyway, I spotted the media page's "Community Created" and a bunch of question marks... I was all dissappointed to not see anything on there yet, but at the same time excited to know something new was coming :D

Boxy
22nd April 2007, 19:13
I'll put something up as soon as we know whats going there. I figured its almost up to the community to sort of bring the 'chosen' to the fore and then we can have the best go on the page.

Whether any end up in Beta 5 is another thing entirely, I have never promised that, just hinted it's a possibilty.

Subface Normal
22nd April 2007, 20:43
lol. I like that response... A community created map ends up on the website, but you've gotta find a server that carries it or you're not going to be able play it in the mod... Might want to think about that one boxy... :rolleyes:

Dark Soul
22nd April 2007, 21:34
I think thats a grate idea,have some kind of vote for what community maps should be in the next build.

I nominate Hdn_highwaters :D.

Boxy
22nd April 2007, 21:59
lol. I like that response... A community created map ends up on the website, but you've gotta find a server that carries it or you're not going to be able play it in the mod... Might want to think about that one boxy... :rolleyes:

Possibly. I was thinking "future release inclusion" was for the cutting edge stuff, the levels that blow you away. The media page bit is sort of like a repositry for the 'hey these are pretty good fun maps, you might want to check them out' and would obviously have links to a download source as it seems there are possibly a lot of really fun (if not absolutely pretty) levels out there.

It isn't just up to me, or any one person, to decide what is a CC level and what isn't. How did Underground et al get to be noticed without a server running them? They just have, through mouth of word...

Subface Normal
22nd April 2007, 22:01
Well i figured that... but I wasnt sure if you spotted the flaw in this plan... It may be beautiful, but a lot of people might not like playing it the only thing that kept a few maps alive was the fact that they were official release maps... *cough* manor *cough*

Boxy
22nd April 2007, 23:55
Well i figured that... but I wasnt sure if you spotted the flaw in this plan... It may be beautiful, but a lot of people might not like playing it the only thing that kept a few maps alive was the fact that they were official release maps... *cough* manor *cough*

I agree with you, I thought Manor sucked but Chilly's stats show it was the second most played level! How can a level that sucks be played so much? Makes no sense. We move on...

starstriker1
23rd April 2007, 00:53
Because manor was fun? I loved that map! :P

e.X.S | мя.حغغ
9th July 2009, 21:08
yeahh right bring manor back :D