PDA

View Full Version : Dystopia

starstriker1
23rd February 2007, 19:34
Its out tonight, and I can't wait to give it a whirl.

And... the dev team might not want to make any b5 related announcements for the next little while! ;)

Zabiela
23rd February 2007, 19:36
Im eager to try it too. I never really got hooked on the current version of dys, I had no idea how the cyberspace world related the the real one. I gotta practice :P

Isolation
23rd February 2007, 19:53
I don't keep up on the mod scene anymore... so, is this the full Dys release or something?

Zabiela
23rd February 2007, 20:03
"version 1" apparently. I mean they HAVE been working 3 years straight, you'd think theyd have more than a beta after that. The trailer was ok, their new maps looks wayyy sweeter than all the futuristic places they had before.

Demented
23rd February 2007, 20:07
Well, I can't give it a whirl, but maybe I can gawk at the pictures.

Boxy
23rd February 2007, 20:49
I'll certainly be giving it a look when its available, always give the competition a gander. I wasn't particularly blown away by the trailer they released last week but I'll remain open minded for the actual playtest...

GrimReaper84
23rd February 2007, 20:51
LOL yeah it's in 2 1/2 hours here in Australia... oh and BTW their website is pretty much down since they're being smashed ATM. They've got the release times for the 1st full release and will update the webpagelet with DL links once they hit release time.

starstriker1
23rd February 2007, 21:06
The trailer was fan made, and it shows. They didn't really advertise it too much, and I can see why. It's nowhere near the quality of the hidden trailers (even if the amount of gameplay being shown is minimal in the hidden trailers)

I remember losing a fair amount of time to the first version, so I'm very interested in seeing how it's progressed. Also: dual pistols. HELL YES.

GrimReaper84
23rd February 2007, 21:37
Actually that's dual pistols with tracer bullets to lock them onto a target. :D

starstriker1
23rd February 2007, 21:47
REALLY!?

IwantiwantiwantiwantGIMMEGIMMEGIMME!

GrimReaper84
23rd February 2007, 22:31
Let's see.. what else...

Passive 'Cold Suit' implant to make you 100% invisible to Thermal Vision (and NO you can't take it with Stealth)

2 tiers of Decking implants:
Normal Deck implant can run basic programs.
Improved Deck implant can run more advanced programs including the invisible Green ICE barrier and also has a program mini-game for faster (up to 50%) program activation.

ICE Mines are invisible so you need to scan an ICE Barrier for Mines before breaking it.

Implant balancing that includes many Implants taking less space then they used to.

<Beatlemania>
23rd February 2007, 22:49
thank you! its a cool surprise because i wasn't even watching for it. i might get into it this time around.

edit: DOOOOWNLOADIIIING!

GrimReaper84
23rd February 2007, 23:06
Yup, yup.

It's out guys... time to send DL servers into meltdown. :p :D

Gusdor
24th February 2007, 00:17
Yup, yup.

It's out guys... time to send DL servers into meltdown. :p :D
download from bittorrent guys - the speeds are pretty imbah ;)

Atm I have:
15 peers
9 seeds

76kb/s download

Pretty healthy imo

Boxy
24th February 2007, 00:38
Ive only played it a little and I'm more thanwilling to admit that Dys isnt my cup of tea as a game, which obviously unbalances my opinion, but I just wasnt that in awe of it. The gameplay I cant really comment on at this point, my knowledge of changes from one release to the next is minimal, only what I see and feel but I dont feel much has changed since release one.

One area I can comment on is the levels. Jesus, can no one make a nice looking map for Dys? Official or third party? They all just seem so basic, and beyond basic for the reason of smooth flow and gameplay, just I-couldnt-be-bothered basic. I'll hold off on further comment till I've played it more, I may warm to it but I had to dip into Decay and feel better about myself after playing the latest levels in Dys...:)

Paegus
24th February 2007, 00:51
download from bittorrent guys - the speeds are pretty imbah ;)

Atm I have:
15 peers
9 seeds

76kb/s download

Pretty healthy imo

hmm they should cut their mirror count off at the neck and get more people to torrent it.
24:40 @ 62kB/s for me...

starstriker1
24th February 2007, 01:17
Damn, am I ever glad for my fileplanet subscription! :P

Demented
24th February 2007, 04:13
One area I can comment on is the levels. Jesus, can no one make a nice looking map for Dys? Official or third party? They all just seem so basic, and beyond basic for the reason of smooth flow and gameplay, just I-couldnt-be-bothered basic. I'll hold off on further comment till I've played it more, I may warm to it but I had to dip into Decay and feel better about myself after playing the latest levels in Dys...:)

Hah.

I imagine their excuse is that they want the performance to be high for competitive play. Of course, if they want, they might as well just make the polygons on the player models in half. (Maybe it's just me, but it seems that models are always five times as detailed as the maps in source.)

GrimReaper84
24th February 2007, 04:19
Well after playing a few games I gotta say DAMN! It's a BIG improvement over the last version I played.

Oh and yeah... Dual Smartlock Pistols are just TOO damned fun. Esp against Stealth Whores... tag em with a pair of tracers and even if they Cloak you can still perforate their ass. :D

Demented
24th February 2007, 04:30
A weapon with autoaim?

Huh.

Sonic
24th February 2007, 04:36
Well after playing a few games I gotta say DAMN! It's a BIG improvement over the last version I played.

Oh and yeah... Dual Smartlock Pistols are just TOO damned fun. Esp against Stealth Whores... tag em with a pair of tracers and even if they Cloak you can still perforate their ass. :D

;-;

Maybe I SHOULDN'T be here until I get my computer back...

GrimReaper84
24th February 2007, 04:40
A weapon with autoaim?

Huh.

no not Autoaim.... but if your aim is close to a target that's been tagged with a tracer bullet then it will 'Snap' your aim on them. Even if they're Cloaked. :D

Zabiela
24th February 2007, 05:28
Wait... like that crystal spewing gun in halo?

GrimReaper84
24th February 2007, 05:36
No. The bullets don't change trajectory it just snaps your aim over your target if you get your aim close to them after you've tagged them with tracer rounds.

Cyborg
24th February 2007, 05:40
No. The bullets don't change trajectory it just snaps your aim over your target if you get your aim close to them after you've tagged them with tracer rounds.

so basically... a cheaply coded version of the crystal gun in halo.

Zabiela
24th February 2007, 05:44
so basically... a cheaply coded version of the crystal gun in halo.

Not really. The bullets, or crystals in halo would seek out the target, this is more of a crosshair-holding target. Similar but different.

GrimReaper84
24th February 2007, 05:52
Not really. The bullets, or crystals in halo would seek out the target, this is more of a crosshair-holding target. Similar but different.

Yeah that's pretty much it. It ensured that you're on target at the moment you fire.. whether or not you hit depends on if your opponent is fast/smart enough to get out of the way in time.

starstriker1
24th February 2007, 06:15
AND you have to tag it first, so the needler is not a good comparison.

Damn, thats fun. Especially when you get a good group of people together.

Also, me + heavy + fist = own.

Paegus
24th February 2007, 07:57
so... their bullets follow ballistic trajectories?

as opposed to simply drawing a line from the eye-ball and 'hitting' whatever the line intersects that isn't blocked by a wall.

brechtos
24th February 2007, 10:08
Just call me the invisible katana swirler of DOOOOOOOM:cool:

But still... hidden source all the way

GrimReaper84
24th February 2007, 11:04
so... their bullets follow ballistic trajectories?

as opposed to simply drawing a line from the eye-ball and 'hitting' whatever the line intersects that isn't blocked by a wall.

Well ACTUALLY......

.... I have no idea.

Gusdor
24th February 2007, 11:17
Ive only played it a little and I'm more thanwilling to admit that Dys isnt my cup of tea as a game, which obviously unbalances my opinion, but I just wasnt that in awe of it. The gameplay I cant really comment on at this point, my knowledge of changes from one release to the next is minimal, only what I see and feel but I dont feel much has changed since release one.

i agree 100&#37;. The animations are still ropey too

Just call me the invisible katana swirler of DOOOOOOOM:cool:
stealth katana is a cheap knockoff of 617 :P

brechtos
24th February 2007, 15:21
I know thats why I'm the invisible stealth katana swirler of doom:p
Major woooppppaaaaaassss

Demented
24th February 2007, 17:54
Well ACTUALLY......

.... I have no idea.

I think he means projectile vs. hitscan, not ballistic versus flat trajectory hitscan.

Though you can test for ballistic trajectoryby angling yourself at 45 degrees from a wall, then hosing down the wall while you strafe. If the average grouping gets higher the closer you are to the wall, it's ballistic. (But really, who's going to bother with that?)

starstriker1
24th February 2007, 19:14
The distances in dystopia aren't great enough to justify ballistic weapons for anything but the slowest moving projectiles, so I doubt it's implemented.

Gusdor
24th February 2007, 22:10
The distances in dystopia aren't great enough to justify ballistic weapons for anything but the slowest moving projectiles, so I doubt it's implemented.
100% gimmick even if it is

Ging
24th February 2007, 22:30
To the best of my knowledge (I've not played it yet) they're not ballistic.

starstriker1
24th February 2007, 22:32
The only ballistic weapons in use are the ones where it's obvious, like the grenade launcher.

Demented
24th February 2007, 22:35
Alternately, ballistic hitscan can be useful in games with sniper rifles and exceedingly long range.

Except that Dystopia uses a laser rifle.

Though the ballistic weapons in battlegrounds 2 were excellent fun. Albeit, I only played beta 2.

GrimReaper84
25th February 2007, 00:44
Ahhh man... there's nothing more sacred then ninjaing a ninja. :D

Was playing Vaccine as a Punk and was keeping the Turrets under our control and the hatch open. I'm taking a break to let my energy recharge and I see this Corp light come running into the adjoining room before he activates his cloak.

I quickly flip on my own cloak and as the Corp tosses a EMP nade into the room I head to the other end avoiding the blast.

The silly corp then charges into the room to try and kill what he expected to be my EMPed ass only to cop MY Katana in his back as I chop him to pieces from the safety of my own cloaking.

That... Sucked... Ass.

He sure wasn't expecting that shit. :D

starstriker1
25th February 2007, 01:59
They don't really expect a heavy to be kicking their asses at melee either. I've racked up substantial strings of fist kills, and I almost always take the damage/kill award for the weapon. :D

My loadout is typically: rocket launcher, thermal (so I can whack the fools who think a cloak will save them), and leg boosters (so I can chase people down). My strategy involves launching in a rocket, hosing them down with my pistol as I close the distance, and then whacking the crap out of them once I'm in range! :D

GrimReaper84
25th February 2007, 02:36
LOL I send a few cloaker heads flying as a heavy...

... pity it's mostly team mate's heads. :o

Demented
25th February 2007, 05:02
Haven't played this version (can't), but I get ya. Actually, once you master the rocket - fist - mines combo, you don't need no stinkin' pistol! Well, unless you need to stop someone before their cranial bomb goes off.

Lights are always looking for the easy ninja kill... Suckers.

Myself, I always preferred the sound suppression to the leg boosters. Heavies make a lot of noise with their stomping, so it scares the crap out of people when a heavy appears around the corner without having made a sound. Especially when he launches a rocket in their faces.

Almost as (if not more) fun is the medium's grenade launcher. It's a bit tricky before you figure out how it works, but once you know it, it is (or was, in b4) the damned most ruthless weapon in the game at short/close range.

GrimReaper84
25th February 2007, 06:00
Hehe.. well I've been having some fun with a new Light setup.

Dual Smartlocks
Advanced Deck
IFF
Cortex Bomb
Stealth
Sound Suppressor
Power Booster

Fun, fun, fun. :D

Sooo many ways to be a total pain in the ass. :p

And yeah.. I also like the RL and GL... Explosive goodness. :rolleyes:

legoman
25th February 2007, 18:46
Wow you guys have officially swayed me into trying this game. Good job!

starstriker1
25th February 2007, 19:16
Actually, I only use the sound suppressor in one situation:

Heavy. Chaingun.

People don't expect THAT to be spun up coming around the corner! :D

Mayhem
25th February 2007, 19:30
Can still remember when the GL took MK's place as the trendiest weapon in town. I still chose MK over GL, cause of its lame way of spamming.

GL, RL, LR. Only for CW's. They begin to ruin the fun when everyone has one. Grenades spamming around corners, bunch of heavies coming from around the corner. All blasting their rockets at once. Lights spamming a squad of LRs. No change of survival.

MK, pure fun ;) 8 Shots. Lights die from 2 Headshots. Meds also. Heavies, they take 4-5. Skills needed as hell when fighting against a heavy or light.
Meds, best all around units.
Arm your self with thermal and 'medkit' and your ready to go! You just have to master the 'shoot-jump-shoot-crouch-jump-shoot-jump-shoot-jump-crouch-jump-shoot-crouch-jump-shoot-shoot' (Timings ofcourse everything :p)

Heck! I should dl v1 now. Got all excited about Dystopia, again, from writing this.

starstriker1
25th February 2007, 23:48
Like acronyms, huh?

Demented
26th February 2007, 01:39
I get all of it except for "CW".

The GL is actually much nastier when it's used tactically, rather than just spammed with.

starstriker1
26th February 2007, 01:43
It irritates me, but I know that they won't likely kill me with it before my leg enhancements allow me lumber right up to them and punch them in the face a few times.

'Sides, ROCKETS! :D

Demented
26th February 2007, 02:19
Rockets & Discretion > Anything a GL can manage.

Usually.

A properly applied Grenade Launcher can devastate an offensive more so than a rocket and a pair of spider mines.
But entirely ineffective at range and not so devastating against a defense.

Zabiela
26th February 2007, 02:31
Ok im downloading, wanted to avoid the rush. 300k/s yay!

Mayhem
26th February 2007, 04:12
downloading 100k/s

Gonna marksman your heads today :p MK

Andy
26th February 2007, 04:41
I downloaded dystopia earlier this morning. I havent played it in about a year it seems-- since like an early demo or beta, i forget-- but man, I dont know what they did, but it's a lot more fun now ;D

I got it off fileplanet in under 90 seconds goin at about 9mb/s (no subscription either). no idea how.

Resiak
15th March 2007, 13:50
I've been playing it, and the gameplay is like an exact clone of Enemy Territory- Which isnt really a bad thing.

I dont even like it that much, but I cant stop playing it :D

Gusdor
15th March 2007, 15:20
I've bene playing it a bit more and sitll can't get into it. i dont understadn why everyone loves it :(

Daedalus
15th March 2007, 16:30
I've bene playing it a bit more and sitll can't get into it. i dont understadn why everyone loves it :(

Large amount of /b/tards in the game. Nuff said.

starstriker1
15th March 2007, 23:35
Actually, by and large the people I've met playing Dystopia have been pretty decent.

It's fun in the way that it's a game that heavily rewards teamwork, lets people play it mostly as they want to, and is exceptionally well balanced. Obviously, not for everyone, but it does a very good job at what it sets out to do.

ThunderDan
16th March 2007, 00:35
I tried playing it a few times and haven't gotten it yet.