PDA

View Full Version : What video card do you recommend?

LiquidMetal
23rd February 2007, 19:24
As some of you already know, I'm currently running Hidden using a vid card that only supports up to DirectX 7. People who are playing Beta 4 don't like that, and since DX7 compatibility is going poof with Beta 5, I've decided to get a new card.

Now, knowing that there are a huge number of video cards on the market (accompanied by my extremely limited knowledge of computer hardware), I'm having some difficulty deciding on a new video card.

I'd also like to add that I'm generally a pretty avid gamer. I will post my computer specs when I get home as I'm currently not using my home computer, but until then, can anyone fire off some suggestions for a new vid card? I'd really appreciate it.

Last thing: Price is not a huge problem for me but I'd like a card which I can get for ~$100 USD or less.

Phaedrus
23rd February 2007, 20:27
That is a complicated question man. Post your system specs.

starstriker1
23rd February 2007, 21:08
Without seeing your specs, the amount of help you can get is limited.. personally, my gut reaction with any upgrade is to get the absolute best you can afford. It'll pay off in the long run by not being useless as fast.

LiquidMetal
23rd February 2007, 21:22
System Specs:

Intel Pentium 4
2.40 GHz
1.00 GB RAM
120 GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420

I believe that the MX420 is 256 MB.

GrimReaper84
23rd February 2007, 21:41
Is your mobo AGPx8 or PCI-Express?

If it's a PCI-Express then a 7900GS is a very good buy. It's got a ton of power for a pretty small outlay... unfortunately not living in the USofA I don't know how much they are over there.

For AGPx8.. alas I can't give you much advice there.

Paegus
23rd February 2007, 22:04
i don't recall them ever making any GF4s for PCI-E. heck they barely had a AGPx8 version i think.

LiquidMetal
23rd February 2007, 23:34
I don't think I have PCI-E, just regular ol' PCI Standard.

When I check the properties of my Bus controller in Device Manager, it says:

Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller

Device type: Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Manufacturer: INTEL

...is this my computer's way of subtly hinting that I might need a new machine altogether?

Night Raider
24th February 2007, 00:13
All I see which can still be salvaged is the Hard Drive (possibly even the CD/DVD drives and the RAM, depending on the motherboard), the rest is extremely outdated.

CPU
Here's the first biggie. Dualcore is the rage nowadays, and if you can get a Core 2 Duo ($400-500), a Anthlon FX-62 ($400), or, if you are low on cash, a Anthlon X2 ($100-250). Still, the Core 2 Duo has much more bang for your buck.

Motherboard
The CPU will dictate what motherboard you can buy. For the Core 2 Duo, I'd recommend an ASUS Striker Extreme($420) or simply any other nForce 680i SLI ATX motherboard you can find, which will probably cost less. For the FX-62, I'd recommend an ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard($120).

Videocard
Another biggie. Right now, the 7800 GTX is at an extremely good price ($220-$250), if only because it has been outperformed by the newer 8800 GTX ($550-$650). However, the 8800 has DirectX 10, but currently has issues with Windows Vista because of faulty drivers. I'm not really an Ati-man, but I'm sure someone else could help you there.

The rest is up to you, really. I'd try to get a better power supply to juice all this hardware, and a 600W PSU should be enough. You could nab a soundcard, which would greatly improve the audio of the system, and at the same time relief the CPU from a little stress. Maybe a good case to fit all these components and make the PC look as good as it really would be. If you're thinking of overclocking it, then a cooling unit is a must.

Well, this is my little post. Now I'll just crawl under my desk again and wait for a response. :)

Demented
24th February 2007, 00:32
You say 600W power supply as if it were just barely enough to supply the computer! Unless you have enough fans that your case can attain flight, I fail to see the motive. :p (There's also that rare issue of someone with dual 8800GTX cards, but seriously now....)

That comp probably has a couple more years in it, if you upgrade the video card, but you'll stuck at medium to medium/low settings if you want a suitable framerate.

Myself, I always preferred high settings and a pathetic framerate of 15-20. What's the point of getting a video card if you aren't going to stress the *bleep* out of it? (Or, in the case of 8800GTXs, CAN'T stress the *bleep* out of them.)

Night Raider
24th February 2007, 00:42
The Pentium 4 has been around since 2001, and I think his model (2.40) was released in 2002. It's 5 years old. I think it's time for an upgrade. :p

As for the 600W PSU, I'm not joking there. Newer hardware requires lots of juice, and even more if it's for desktops which have the hot, noisy, bulky videocards. Therefore, power requirements rarely get as much priority as sheer speed.

-SM-SUCKER
24th February 2007, 02:29
I'm playing on a 2.4 pentium. And thats more than enough for Hidden: Source. I used to play with a Radeon9800 pro, which was fine untill it got far too hot. Just don't save money on the less expensive manufactors.

Cyborg
24th February 2007, 05:39
i've got an x1300 pro. runs hidden at 60+

works for me