PDA

View Full Version : A different gametype

ComeToJesus
20th February 2007, 20:01
I got this idea the other night, for a more intense and more difficult round of play for the hidden.
Basically it would involve having the IRIS's health regenerate and the hidden's health degenerate. At what rate, I don't really know, it would need some playing around with. Perhaps 1 hp per second? Perhaps faster. Feeding would be eliminated, but the hidden would regain an amount of health for every kill it made. What amount, again, don't really know. 25 maybe? It might make for some fun intense gameplay, with quickly flowing rounds.
thoughts?

starstriker1
20th February 2007, 20:09
The mod is about slow paced gameplay, heavy on atmosphere.

Phaedrus
20th February 2007, 20:32
That could be accomplished with eventscripts. Check it out here (http://mattie.info/cs) if you are interested in trying.

ComeToJesus
20th February 2007, 21:21
The mod is about slow paced gameplay, heavy on atmosphere.

I didn't mean for it to replace the regular play.
It could be something that's done like overrun was, every once in a while.

Phaedrus, yeah I figured it would probably not be overly complicated to do.

Zabiela
20th February 2007, 21:52
I think it could be fun for a while. Having the option of respawnable iris would be intense!

Paegus
20th February 2007, 22:18
could mess with OVR a bit and have the iris only become hidden if they get enough weighting points. otherwise they respawn as iris. round ends purely based on roundtime. highest non-hidden weighting gets hidden... or whatever

really need to randomize spawn points though... let the iris respawn elsewhere so the hidden's can't just camp the spawn.

Ion
20th February 2007, 23:06
Like IRIS overrun... The IRIS keep respawning!
Have the hidden be able to stay hidden if he\she doesn't die, and he or she kills the number of IRIS X 2.5

ComeToJesus
21st February 2007, 00:25
IRIS overrun was not exactly the direction I was going in, but at least ideas are being thrown around.

I was going more for something that will encourage the hidden to not do a lot of stalking around, and encourage aggressive play.

Actually, an IRIS overrun type of game, that ends only when the round time runs out (or hidden dies) would be pretty neat in testing out the sheer endurance of the player playing as hidden. :)

Paegus
21st February 2007, 00:34
not unless OVR maps are ignored by stat systems.

oh and inside <-- door --> some semblance of a storyline

ProgrammedToConsume
21st February 2007, 01:07
IRIS overrun was not exactly the direction I was going in, but at least ideas are being thrown around.

I was going more for something that will encourage the hidden to not do a lot of stalking around, and encourage aggressive play.

Actually, an IRIS overrun type of game, that ends only when the round time runs out (or hidden dies) would be pretty neat in testing out the sheer endurance of the player playing as hidden. :)

I like it. Not only would it test endurance, but your ability to plan as well, because if you have a solid plan you'll get some kills but with the repeated spawning the IRIS would have more of a chance to figure that plan out, counter it(well as much as you can counter a nearly invisible guy with extreme physical abilities), and cause the hidden to think of a new plan.

It should be excluded from rankings though, because, of course, a near infinite amount of targets would entice a PS whore to keep PSing and get their kills up.

starstriker1
21st February 2007, 04:30
Overrun has been removed in the latest builds, by the way...

Paegus
21st February 2007, 10:09
meh? i still have OVR maps in my build (r20)... or is it on the mighty to-do list in the sky?

Ging
21st February 2007, 11:29
Overrun isn't being removed at the moment - it just isn't being worked on.

ProgrammedToConsume
21st February 2007, 15:21
Ah, well, could this idea be done? I like it, like previously stated, it adds more to endurance of the hidden.

Ging
21st February 2007, 16:32
Magic EightBall says "chances are low".

ProgrammedToConsume
21st February 2007, 18:27
Damn, well...what changes are being made to ovr anyway?

Paegus
21st February 2007, 18:57
these changes... V V

Overrun isn't being removed at the moment - it just isn't being worked on.

ProgrammedToConsume
21st February 2007, 19:01
Very specific... oh well. Iris ovr was a good idea anyway.

Ging
21st February 2007, 20:10
It is very specific - no changes are being made to OVR, nothing is being added or taken away. It's just flat out not being worked on.

starstriker1
21st February 2007, 20:12
Huh. I thought I could have SWORN a changelog said something...

ProgrammedToConsume
21st February 2007, 20:16
It is very specific - no changes are being made to OVR, nothing is being added or taken away. It's just flat out not being worked on.

The implication of my statement wasn't sarcastic. On the previous posts, I didn't pay attention to your post to notice that it isn't being worked.

QReaper
22nd February 2007, 03:01
Very specific... oh well. Iris ovr was a good idea anyway.
*inhales sharply*

No.:p

ProgrammedToConsume
22nd February 2007, 19:05
Well...I didn't ask your opinion, now go be a psycho somewhere else.

Zabiela
22nd February 2007, 19:41
Well...I didn't ask your opinion, now go be a psycho somewhere else.

Hey noone asked your opinion about his opinion. So quit throwin around your opinionated opinions like you're some giant opinion spewing onion.

edit: my brain just farted.

ComeToJesus
22nd February 2007, 19:42
You tell him Xemnas! :p

ComeToJesus
22nd February 2007, 19:43
Hey noone asked your opinion about his opinion. So quit throwin around your opinionated opinions like you're some giant opinion spewing onion.

But the other guy gave his opinion about his opinion first! That's got to count for something.

ProgrammedToConsume
22nd February 2007, 19:45

edit: my brain just farted.

Noone asked for your opinion either.:P

You tell him Xemnas! :p

Yes, I get some support!

Zabiela
22nd February 2007, 19:52
Lol guys I just wanted to write a tongue twister really :D

ProgrammedToConsume
22nd February 2007, 19:54

Excellent job then.

Btw, I can torment qreaper and get away with it...partially anyway.

Huzzah my hundredth post!

ComeToJesus
22nd February 2007, 20:11

Me too, but I gave up after the first sentence.

QReaper
22nd February 2007, 23:38
Btw, I can torment qreaper and get away with it...partially anyway.
Until I get pissed off and snap one day and come to school the next day, only to drag you out back, stuff you in a sack and beat you with a baseball bat with nails sticking out of it.:)

ProgrammedToConsume
23rd February 2007, 01:34
No, you like me too much to do that, though If you would threaten to beat me senseless or cause me some form of mild physical harm I wouldn't put it past you. You respect us loner/jerk/highly intelligent morons alot and you know it.

When you finally snap and bring a lethal or semi-lethal weapon to school I'll be safe. While you wreak senseless slaughter without remorse on all the others you'll spare me so I can have the fun of joining you, then, after the job is done, you'll figure out something very inhumane to do to me.

You'd better behave at school boy(if not you better let me join) or I'll do the only thing I know of that terrifies you.

*Braces for sick response*

QReaper
23rd February 2007, 02:11
When you finally snap and bring a lethal or semi-lethal weapon to school I'll be safe.
Which isn't going to happen and you know it.

I just mentioned beating on you, nobody else.

highly intelligent morons

Somebody call the oxymoron police!

Also: You live by the Do-It Yourself center, don't tempt me.:p

ComeToJesus
23rd February 2007, 02:31
ok girls, stop flirtin'

QReaper
23rd February 2007, 03:19
ok girls, stop flirtin'
I'm going to say this once, in all seriousness, to you:

Go to hell.

Okay, maybe half seriousness.:p

ComeToJesus
23rd February 2007, 04:33
ugh fine... flirt away

starstriker1
23rd February 2007, 05:09
All this time I've had a nagging feeling in the back of my skull that we didn't need to get to this point.

ComeToJesus is right about the flirtin', ladies. Come now, there's a time and a place.

blackhawk
23rd February 2007, 05:28
I got this idea the other night, for a more intense and more difficult round of play for the hidden.
Basically it would involve having the IRIS's health regenerate and the hidden's health degenerate. At what rate, I don't really know, it would need some playing around with. Perhaps 1 hp per second? Perhaps faster. Feeding would be eliminated, but the hidden would regain an amount of health for every kill it made. What amount, again, don't really know. 25 maybe? It might make for some fun intense gameplay, with quickly flowing rounds.
thoughts?

lame....not good..no...negative....not fun....rounds go by to quickley..no time for hidden to think about what he should do......just,no =)

Euphoria
23rd February 2007, 16:46
lame....not good..no...negative....not funstring of meaningless negativity
rounds go by to quickley..so more rounds and more people as hidden
no time for hidden to think about what he should do......faster gameplay, more adrenaline and pressure for the hidden and more anxiety for the iris knowing the hiddens going to have to attack very soon

Of course neither of us know how it would play and the different people have different opinions on it but I'm just trying to show that this could turn out good (just think of people's initial reactions to Daniel Craig playing James Bond, and look at them now.)

ComeToJesus
23rd February 2007, 18:32
Thanks Euphoria.
That's exactly what I had in mind; more people getting a shot at it and more anxiety.

ProgrammedToConsume
23rd February 2007, 21:57
All this time I've had a nagging feeling in the back of my skull that we didn't need to get to this point.

ComeToJesus is right about the flirtin', ladies. Come now, there's a time and a place.

Oh yeah, it's your job to flirt with qreaper, not mine. Flirt away ladies.

QReaper
23rd February 2007, 23:47
Oh yeah, it's your job to flirt with qreaper, not mine. Flirt away ladies.
You suck at comebacks.

Reusing the original insult isn't creative.

Anyway, personally, I'm against adding this. A lot of code time for what will amount to a gametype for the whiny, stick shaking, insult flinging Counter-Strike kiddies.

ComeToJesus
24th February 2007, 00:00
You suck at comebacks.

Anyway, personally, I'm against adding this. A lot of code time for what will amount to a gametype for the whiny, stick shaking, insult flinging Counter-Strike kiddies.

How do you figure? I personally think there'd be a lot less to whine about than in the original gameplay. But again I state that this suggestion wasn't meant to be a replacement for the original play; the original is great and just right. Just an interesting change-o-pace.

ProgrammedToConsume
24th February 2007, 02:00
You suck at comebacks.

I'll bitchstick you. *in-joke*

QReaper
24th February 2007, 03:52
How do you figure? I personally think there'd be a lot less to whine about than in the original gameplay. But again I state that this suggestion wasn't meant to be a replacement for the original play; the original is great and just right. Just an interesting change-o-pace.
You're not reading my statement correctly. I said it would attract that crowd, not cause them to PMS about the game mode.

ComeToJesus
24th February 2007, 05:55
I don't see why it would. And anyone who hasn't played the mod won't start because of something like this.

Euphoria
24th February 2007, 12:53
I think this could be a good replacement for ovr, as a good alternative game that allows more people to be hidden in a shorter space of time and thus allows more people to practise and become better at hidden quicker, without having loads of people as hidden at the same time.

<Beatlemania>
27th February 2007, 21:16
its a decent idea, but i don't really see the use for a gametype where only the most insanely experienced players could finish the round as hidden killing every one of the iris.

edit°
27th February 2007, 21:34
It would be easier than a normal game for the hidden. Easier by far.

To be honest though, the standard game itself isn't perfected to the extent where something like this which would throw its own concerns and complications up in the air, is worth the effort.

ComeToJesus
28th February 2007, 00:18
its a decent idea, but i don't really see the use for a gametype where only the most insanely experienced players could finish the round as hidden killing every one of the iris.

I have fun playing as the hidden, whether I finish the entire IRIS team off or not. I'm sure most people feel the same. And it could be a learning experience, or just a good change of pace.

It would be easier than a normal game for the hidden. Easier by far.

To be honest though, the standard game itself isn't perfected to the extent where something like this which would throw its own concerns and complications up in the air, is worth the effort.

Easier for the hidden? I realize you've played this game for a long time now, and maybe you can pulverize a team of IRIS in a flash, but that sure isn't the case for most people.
In any case, you're right that it isn't worth any large amount of thought or time. Though I think it could be a simple thing to code. If not, then... fahgetabatit.

edit°
28th February 2007, 09:51
I meant it to another suggestion mate sorry. I skim through these suggestion threads just to see if they're descending into spam yet or if they've been no'd already so I can lock them all at once and save some time. The thing being discussed here sounds better than OVR and its worth perfecting in theory on the forums. :)

Paegus
28th February 2007, 10:01
call me egotistical but i'd rather this...

ovr_ map script idea:

you respawn as what killed you.

If you are an IRIS and you get killed by an IRIS you respawn as IRIS again.
If you are an IRIS and you get killed by a Hidden you respawn as Hidden.
If you are Hidden and you get killed by a Hidden you respawn as Hidden again.
If you are Hidden and you get killed by an IRIS you respawn as IRIS.
Regardless of what you are if you suicide (kill) or are somehow crushed by phys/bsp which isn't attributable to any player which could either have been yourself falling (as IRIS) or jumping on things incorrectly or a Hidden who PSed or Punted something into you then you respawn as whatever you were.

The round ends when there is no one left queued to respawn on one of the teams or when mp_roundtime expires. hdn_selectionmethod then picks the new Hidden for then next round.

If mp_roundtime expires the team with the highest kills - deaths - teamkills count that round 'wins'.
If there is only one Hidden team member and he or she is killed by IRIS without first killing any IRIS (and thus switching their team to Hidden) the round ends as if it was a normal hdn_ map.
scrap hdn_survival(time?) so if there is only 1 IRIS left then if or when they die the round ends. Face it, they won't last forever even camped to hell and if they manage to kill any Hiddens then those Hiddens are now IRIS again.

PS is always disabled... :p
Hiddens are always at least partially visible to other Hiddens. If not directly then maybe with a dull grey aura sprite indicating that something is there.

This basically turns it into something like Battlefield/DoD where there's a constant ebb of power back and forth as the players bounce back and forth between the teams. The initial hidden player will need to be just as careful not to die as in normal game play, as will other hiddens because if an IRIS kills you, you're not hidden anymore. the only problem i foresee is that it'll be too close to the normal hdn_ map gameplay only without pipebomb or PS which for some of us isn't really that big of a deal...
..than regenerating HP and all that... if that's what you were referring to. or have i missed a post or 5?

edit°
28th February 2007, 10:20
Nah it was something else entirely mate, but I can fib if you'd like :D

Paegus
28th February 2007, 10:24
meh... http://forum.hidden-source.com/images/hiddenbuttons/quote.gif buttons dag nabit!

Matto
28th February 2007, 11:31
But what might occur is that people might start to prefer this other gamemode because it's easier, and then what happened to NS could happen to H:S...
People choosing the easy, Dm style and not appreciating the paranoia and fear of the original game.

Daedalus
28th February 2007, 12:03
But what might occur is that people might start to prefer this other gamemode because it's easier, and then what happened to NS could happen to H:S...
People choosing the easy, Dm style and not appreciating the paranoia and fear of the original game.

Yeah, I can see that happening.

Take Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory multiplayer for example. Usually in story mode the spies win by hacking a number or laptops, bombing certain targets or stealing items. While in the lobby people would get bored waiting for people and start the game with 2-3 players, playing deathmatch. The spies would try to kill the mercs off instead of doing objectives. This wasn't an official gamemode until Chaos Theory.

So in CT you'd have about 200 people at peak time, and half of them would run DM servers. Take into account that half of the servers that were not full would usually give you some sort of error thanks to the crap netcode and you'd win up waiting 5-10 minutes to get into a story server... :rolleyes: