PDA

View Full Version : Woot I bought a car

Zabiela
20th February 2007, 03:31
Yay im so happy. Drivers test is in a week, I cant wait to have the frikin FREEDOM!

'90 corolla. 170k miles, got it for a grand, and it runs fine.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f346/Walouf/x60vSsMe5iuVpE6VeqEV08rbpY0x.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f346/Walouf/BjjuXmtBvfTRO1DoaWmajBPGRjRE.jpg

I took those hubcaps off, since one's missing I'd rather take em all off. They look stupid anyway, chrome isnt supposed to be on a shitbox.

:D :D :D :D :D :D IM HAPPY!

butterқnife
20th February 2007, 04:26
Congrats on the ride! I remember my first car... 7 years ago, it was the best piece of shit on the road.

Kira Yamato
20th February 2007, 04:52
One hundred and seventy thousand miles, and it's only a 1990? Good god some one put that one thorough the better part of America, several times in fact. I mean good god my Benz has 177 thousand on it and it's an 86. By the way nice job parking in a no stopping zone.

VoiceOfDecember
20th February 2007, 05:26
I got my licence but I don't have a car. I got a good AUD15,000 to spend.
Hopefully gonna get me a 1992 Honda Prelude around 100,000 km (yes km for you Americans. Do the math). Sould be able to get one for about AUD7,000-AUD8,000. A suitable one hasn't poped up and when they look promising they are gone before I get out to them :(

crans
20th February 2007, 05:34
I got my licence but I don't have a car. I got a good AUD15,000 to spend.
Hopefully gonna get me a 1992 Honda Prelude around 100,000 km (yes km for you Americans. Do the math). Sould be able to get one for about AUD7,000-AUD8,000. A suitable one hasn't poped up and when they look promising they are gone before I get out to them :(

Well the car that i was going to inherit just shit itself when my eldest brother was doin' 80km/h down the highway. The gear box pretty much fell off lol.

Zabiela
20th February 2007, 06:04
By the way nice job parking in a no stopping zone.

Theyre the pics from the craigslist ad.

The suspension is so mushy... it feels like a boat :p

Kira Yamato
20th February 2007, 06:31
The suspension is so mushy... it feels like a boat :p

Thats all well and fine. :rolleyes: My dad's Mercedes 300 TD is all cushy in the suspension too, but the steering is a bit sloppy, as it is on most cars with loose suspension. I like my 300 E better, more tight suspension, can easily turn 180 in less then it's length.

Hows the car perform? Can it take a hill well?

Chas0r
20th February 2007, 07:45
Ha, a Toyota Corolla! I remember my dad driving that car.. the engine cooler broke on the highway and we had to cool manually to prevent the engine from overheating. We left a huge clound of smoke behind and had to go really slow.. Erm, so more luck to you man :)

I also, *finally*, passed my driver's licence test a month ago. On the license itself you can guess my suffering: Started in 8/2005, passed in 1/2007. Better late then never. At least I made it before I became 20.
And a car? No chance :(

Zabiela
20th February 2007, 08:02
You europeans have it alot tougher. In california? Its 20 dollars to get your permit to learn and you take a written test. Then its about 30 dollars for your license, you pass a written test, and YOU GET 2 TRIES at the driving test, as long as you pay an extra 10 dollars.

Ging
20th February 2007, 08:44
The UK is depressingly expensive for everything to do with learning to drive - it's 38 (~$80) for your provisional license, then however much your lessons are (usually around 10 - 15 an hour), the theory test will set you back 21.50 (~$40) and the practical will set you back 48.50 or 58 (~$100 - $110) depending on if it's taken during the week or on a weekend. Of course, if you fail a test, you have to do it again and pay full price.

Thankfully, after all that and as long as you pass, converting your provisional license into a full license is free.

I miss my car - it's a beautiful volcano orange '86 Mini... I've just not had anywhere to keep it for the past 5 years that's anywhere near where I'm living, I long for a place to park it up and enough money to keep it running.

Kira Yamato
20th February 2007, 08:49
The only bad part about a mini is if you crash they extract you from the wreckage with a can opener. Well that and they're tiny.

Chas0r
20th February 2007, 09:34
Ok, let me summarize the costs here. Note: Might be boring^^

First you need a registration on a driving school. That is ~150. This is annually, but most people don't need more than a year..
You have to visit at least 14 theoretical lessons, which are usually free.
For the department you need passport photos, a visual test and you need to participate in a first aid test. That sums up to 30.
Pre-written test costs 3. You gotta do 80 out of 900 questions with less than 10 mistakes, so there's a good chance you'll fail this a few times.
Practical lessons usually cost 40 per hour. You need at least 12 of those, most people need more though.
If you feel like it, you can sign up for the official test: 11 each time you try.
When/If you passed that one, the practical one costs 80 for the department and 120 for the driving school, so 200 for each try.
So, I had a lot of lessons, about 50 spread over 2 years. (I'm not particularly dumb, I was just interrupted plenty of times :)) Made it on my second attempt for both, written and practical. This is my calculation:

1x Annual fee: 150
1x First aid,visual test: 30
2x Pre-test: 6
2x written test: 22
50x Lessons: 2000
2x final test: 400

Noticing that you spent all your savings for the licence and won't be able to afford a car in the next 2 years: Priceless.

Ging
20th February 2007, 11:41
The only bad part about a mini is if you crash they extract you from the wreckage with a can opener.

This is generally true of most older cars...

Knigh7s
20th February 2007, 19:00
OUCH!

And I got mad when my parents made me take a driving class (<$100) for 1 week just to get a discount on insurance?!?! This was almost 8 years ago. I've already gone through 6 cars, 2 of which i still have.

Congrats on your new car!

legoman
20th February 2007, 19:02
Sweet man, congrats. My first car wasn't too long ago - I just got rid of it. It was a 1993 Nissan Sentra SE and my bro bought himself a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse so I got his old car, his 2002 Ford Focus (the stationwagon one, with loads of space). I've never been happier because I spent so much damn money fixing the Nissan, it wasn't even funny. The thing was up to 150k miles when we used it as a down payment, and they gave us $50... lol.

Super gay.

Anyway, don't get into trouble and don't drive too drunk.

Zabiela
20th February 2007, 19:42
Hows the car perform? Can it take a hill well?

Well, I've been learning to drive on my mom's shitty mitsubishi mirage (its an 80's model). That thing has such a shit motor, I have to floor it to get up to speed on 40 mph roads, and on the freeways, its a BITCH to get up to speed.
This car definately has more kick, although I havent even driven it much yet, I can tell it can go faster, at least accelerate faster, which is all I really care about. I think it should do ok on hills, as long as theyre not extremely steep, i mean hopefully it wont have "problems" getting up hills like my moms car.

butterқnife
20th February 2007, 23:15
One hundred and seventy thousand miles, and it's only a 1990? Good god some one put that one thorough the better part of America, several times in fact. I mean good god my Benz has 177 thousand on it and it's an 86. By the way nice job parking in a no stopping zone.

Nah... I have 183K miles on my '93 Accord. I've put 45K+ of that on it in the past 3 years. Some people just drive a lot. I've never taken that vehicle on a trip longer than 500 miles round trip.

Can't See
21st February 2007, 19:25
I have a 2006 dodge ram with 18,000
and
a 93 Camery with 170,000
and
2007 honda accord w/ 21,000

Most standard drivers put 15,000 a year

Zabiela
21st February 2007, 19:29
I have my first spring semester class in an hour... le sigh.

Lethess
21st February 2007, 23:48
hehe my i still got my first truck. 86 ford ranger. i ripped out the old 2.3l 4 banger and shoved a 4.0l v6 tweaked it alittle bit. :D i still need to get my license but it still doesnt stop me from driving :D

QReaper
22nd February 2007, 02:56
This is generally true of most older cars...
I happen to remember a great comedian's reference to a "Chevette".:D

Zabiela
22nd February 2007, 04:10
hehe my i still got my first truck. 86 ford ranger. i ripped out the old 2.3l 4 banger and shoved a 4.0l v6 tweaked it alittle bit. :D i still need to get my license but it still doesnt stop me from driving :D

Well, just remember if you get busted you wont be able to get a license till you're 21, or if im mistaken and you're over 21, a fatty fine.

Zabiela
22nd February 2007, 19:56
I have my first spring semester class in an hour... le sigh.

I had alot of fun. WAY more interesting classes than highschool, thats for fucking sure. I mean, the discussion in class actually pertained to the SUBJECT!!! She didnt group us up with the other idiots to write down quotes on a poster board, while she sat in a corner sipping coffee and reading Elle! Yay im gonna learn something for once.

I fucking hated highschool.

Lethess
22nd February 2007, 20:49
ill be 21 on November 12 :D and if they can catch me they will bust me :D

Well, just remember if you get busted you wont be able to get a license till you're 21, or if im mistaken and you're over 21, a fatty fine.

Ging
22nd February 2007, 21:24
ill be 21 on November 12 :D and if they can catch me they will bust me :D

Common misconception that they can't catch you - they can and they will, as long as they notice you in the first place... If you're doing something to get the attention of the police when driving without a license (or valid insurance I assume, which makes you a complete arsehole) than you're being a cock and really need to stop and think about your life, preferably just before driving off a bridge into a very, very deep ravine.

Demented
22nd February 2007, 21:32
Correction:
Preferably not until AFTER you've driven off a bridge into a ravine. :D

Lethess
23rd February 2007, 01:35
:)

Zabiela
23rd February 2007, 07:49
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK

Goddamn fucking power outages. My block, and yes just MY DAMN BLOCK spent all fucking day in the goddamn candlelight. I was mapping 10 minutes from the last save and everything turned off. That was at 4 pm, now its 12:45 am and the power finally came back on. Goddamn, and yesterday I decided to "take the day off" from mapping.

*le sigh*

Gusdor
23rd February 2007, 09:30
My car is 6 years old and has 150k on it Oo

Demented
23rd February 2007, 09:52
150 000 km?
Do some conversion, man. =P

Ging
23rd February 2007, 11:38
I'd actually assume he means miles - brit cars still measure in miles rather than kilometers.

Zabiela
30th March 2007, 21:02
3rd time's a charm- i've got a licence today woot!

:D :D :D

Ging
30th March 2007, 21:45
good job lad.