PDA

View Full Version : Why am i banned from old times?

Dark Soul
15th February 2007, 02:30
Can an admin tell me why i was banned from Old Timers?I don't remember doing anything wrong.If i can't get unbanned,i would like the map hdn_ravenholm to be removed from your map rotation.I don't like the fact that someone is using a map i ported/edited on a server I'm banned on.

STEAM_0:0:5183114 00:32 59 0 active

Ging
15th February 2007, 02:48
You need to go on a net server or have sv_lan disabled when checking your steam id...

Dark Soul
15th February 2007, 03:52
Oops,didn't know you couldn't get your steam id when playing on lan.Now i know why it didn't look right when i got it in lan.

Scuzzy
15th February 2007, 16:29
Can an admin tell me why i was banned from Old Timers?I don't remember doing anything wrong.

Your record:

Swear Slayed on #3 on 11/11/06 at 11:08 pm. Notes: Slayed for swearing. ("aww shit")
Swear Slayed on #3 on 11/11/06 at 11:12 pm. Notes: Slayed for swearing. ("FUCKING F")
Swear Slayed on #4 on 11/22/06 at 12:47 am. Notes: Slayed for swearing. ("turn it the fuck off")
Banned on #4 on 11/22/06 at 12:48 am. Notes: Banned permanently. Reason: Disrespecting admins, calling admins inappropriate names.

Banned inquiry requests need to be sent through http://forums.oldtimersclan.com/sendmessage.php and choose "Banned User Inquiry" as the option. From there it will be forwarded to the appropriate party and you will be contacted within 48 hours. I suggest you explain your side of the story and anything else you want to say to the admin that banned you that may help you.

It's been a while since you were banned, which is probably why you don't remember. The admin that banned you has been with the clan for over 3 years and is actually one of the ones that rarely bans anyone. He has a very thick skin, you must have really let loose. Your ban does not get distributed on the Hidden community ban list.

If i can't get unbanned,i would like the map hdn_ravenholm to be removed from your map rotation.I don't like the fact that someone is using a map i ported/edited on a server I'm banned on.
STEAM_0:0:5183114 00:32 59 0 active

This is not the most grown up request I have ever received. With all due respect I'm not going to do this.

Scuzzy

Dark Soul
15th February 2007, 20:37
Thank you for replying.At least now i know what I'm banned for,never was good at keeping my mouth closed.From the looks of it i was trying to "shut the fuck up"a mic spammer.I think getting permanent banned just for swearing is a bit harsh,but its your server and you make the rules. I've seen someone post before that you guys don't unban people so i wont even try and post why i should be unbanned.

Don't think i wanted my map to be removed to get so kind of revenge for banning me.I just think if you like a persons map(Ok i didn't really make it,just ported it.)you should also like the person.And if you think the map is good enough to be on the server,the person should also be good enough for the server.

Zabiela
15th February 2007, 20:44
If you cant deal with people being idiots on the mic, which there are lots of, just turn off voice like I do. Swearing back on a server with a swear filter is um... not a good idea.

Thief
15th February 2007, 20:58
So whats the purpose of these swear filters?
Cant just understand whole concept..

And banning from swearing.. Thats totally idiotic imo..

Swearing is part of language.. at least in finnish. :p

Ion67
15th February 2007, 21:17
It is disrespectful, and it gives the server a bad name to have a bunch of people who run there mouths like pirates.

Scuzzy
16th February 2007, 00:25
Thank you for replying.At least now i know what I'm banned for,never was good at keeping my mouth closed.From the looks of it i was trying to "shut the fuck up"a mic spammer.I think getting permanent banned just for swearing is a bit harsh,but its your server and you make the rules. I've seen someone post before that you guys don't unban people so i wont even try and post why i should be unbanned.

Just to clarify, you weren't banned for sweaing, you were banned for disrespecting and calling and admin names. We do distinguish the two. Players aren't immediately banned for swearing. If an admin is on they are given several warnings, maybe a slay, then a kick. If the player *intentionally* continues then yes, they'll get banned because they are intentionally ignoring the server rules.

As a general rule bans are not lifted. TK bans are never lifted. But, we wouldn't have the Banned User Inquiry form if we didn't listen to what people had to say. If you do decide to appeal, think about what would be required for you to reverse a ban and start with that.

Don't think i wanted my map to be removed to get so kind of revenge for banning me.I just think if you like a persons map(Ok i didn't really make it,just ported it.)you should also like the person.And if you think the map is good enough to be on the server,the person should also be good enough for the server.

That makes no sense. That's like saying, "Hey, I like Charles Manson's writing, we should have that nice boy over for supper."

Scuzzy

Scuzzy
16th February 2007, 00:26
It is disrespectful, and it gives the server a bad name to have a bunch of people who run there mouths like pirates.

I've been working on a FAQ for this exact question... Ion, you just earned yourself a quote.

Scuzzy

Dark Soul
16th February 2007, 01:09
Scuzzy;110919']

That makes no sense. That's like saying, "Hey, I like Charles Manson's writing, we should have that nice boy over for supper."

Scuzzy
Yes,because it makes WAY more sense when you love a persons work but hate the person who made it >.>.Anyway talking about swearing,its called a swear swear filter,use it.

Ion67
16th February 2007, 02:33
Scuzzy;110920']I've been working on a FAQ for this exact question... Ion, you just earned yourself a quote.

Scuzzy

I try my best :blush:

Ion67
16th February 2007, 02:34
Yes,because it makes WAY more sense when you love a persons work but hate the person who made it >.>.Anyway talking about swearing,its called a swear swear filter,use it.

Well, I may love Tom Cruise's Mission Impossible, I hate him as a person. Does that equate to the same thing?

Dark Soul
16th February 2007, 02:39
No,you like the movie for the story not for one person in the movie.In other words,do you hate the writer for the movie?I think not.

Scuzzy
16th February 2007, 02:44
No,you like the movie for the story not for one person in the movie.In other words,do you hate the writer for the movie?I think not.

That would assume you were the writer of Ravenholm, which you weren't. You're more like the guy who Rips DVDs and puts them on the internet for download.

I'll tell you what, let's compromise. You speak with Valve about Ravelholm, explain to them that you ripped off the map for another game, and that you think you should have a copyright like say in who plays it as the "writer". When they legally sign over the copyright to the map to you, I'll take Ravenholm off the server, fair enough?

Dark Soul
16th February 2007, 02:55
How about you just port the map YOURSELF then?Because it looks like you think its an easy thing to do(sometimes it is).I remade half the map so i should have some rights to it.I don't like th fact that you have no respect for people that take time out of their day to port a map.

If you keep using the map and not port the map yourself,then you must also accept the fact that that with out me you would not be able to have ravenholm running in hidden source,and I'm just as imported to the map as the person who made it.

Edit*
Why are we still going on about this?We already know i wont get unbanned and you will keep using the map even if i don't want you to,So there is no point in having a flame war.

Also i would like to add,if you think i should go get copyrights from valve,then you must also think that the Hidden dev's should get the copyrights for the source code,models and textures they used.which is ridiculous.

Knigh7s
16th February 2007, 03:15
I wouldn't care regardless if you ported the map over or not, first off you didn’t have permission, second yeah its nice that you did so, and third just because you where banned, I wouldn’t remove it from the rotation. You put it out there publicly for download, so I’d say its fair game for anyone to use it as they please, there isn’t any copyright for the map stating that it belongs to you.

If you really wanted to be un-banned, you are going about it the wrong way. It isn’t easy administrating a server, let alone multiple servers. That’s why there are such tools such as Scuzztools and K7-Tools to assist with these logs and reports. Rules are rules, it’s your choice to follow them or not, and we all know the consequences.

Ion67
16th February 2007, 04:45
You put it on the internet (a public place), so no one should have to change anything because your mouth has a tendency to hang open. You don't like that, then only give it out privately.

Phaedrus
16th February 2007, 04:59
I remade half the map so i should have some rights to it.

I have seen the both the SDK version and the decompiled Hdn_Ravenholm. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that if you spent more than a day porting it then somebody should show you how to use hammer. Seriously, the bulk of the work would have been deleting all the extra crap and most of that could be safely done with entity report.

Paegus
16th February 2007, 09:15
yeah it's provided with the SDK so no permission is needed in it's editing or porting so long as it stays exclusive to the Source Engine...

Scuzzy
16th February 2007, 11:41
Why are we still going on about this?We already know i wont get unbanned and you will keep using the map even if i don't want you to,So there is no point in having a flame war.

Two quick things. Before you started this flame war I suggested twice that you appeal. That means, even I (the guy who never unbans) would have forwarded it off to the appropriate people and believed you had a chance. You need to learn to read between the lines. I'm sure there were several other admins here reading those posts shaking their heads and thinking, "Why doens't he just shut up, he's not helping himself by arguing this point." I would not suggest you appeal at this point.

To make this problem easier to handle in the future (as I do all problems that last more then 1 day):

http://forums.oldtimersclan.com/faq.php?faq=ot_unbanning#faq_ot_ban_7

Blah.

Knigh7s
16th February 2007, 13:00
Scuzzy;110972']Two quick things. Before you started this flame war I suggested twice that you appeal. That means, even I (the guy who never unbans) would have forwarded it off to the appropriate people and believed you had a chance. You need to learn to read between the lines. I'm sure there were several other admins here reading those posts shaking their heads and thinking, "Why doens't he just shut up, he's not helping himself by arguing this point." I would not suggest you appeal at this point.

To make this problem easier to handle in the future (as I do all problems that last more then 1 day):

http://forums.oldtimersclan.com/faq.php?faq=ot_unbanning#faq_ot_ban_7

Blah.

I'm sorry, after reading the very last one, i just had to stop and laugh. sooo, LMAO! (that was a pretty good chuckle you gave me there scuzz! :)

anyways, i've been working on ravenholm a bit, removing some bugs that annoys me when playing it... anyone interested when done?

[EDIT]: hmm that wasnt really mature of me was it?

Scuzzy
16th February 2007, 13:35
anyways, i've been working on ravenholm a bit, removing some bugs that annoys me when playing it... anyone interested when done?

Yes, a few suggestions:

1) Remove the ability for people to get into that little dark hole on the second story between roofs. The only way you can kill someone up in that cubby hole is to throw barrels up there and detonate them with helium tanks and that's just a pain in the ass, takes too much time with 4 minute rounds.

2) Add a ladder right at the start spawn point for people to climb up to the top of that roof area, I always have to walk around the ledges of the entire map and that's too much work for my virtual legs. :)

3) Add a lightswitch in the office that turns on a few extra spotlights, like a new one in the REALLY dark cubby whole. :)

BTW, thanks for doing this. :)

Scuzzy

Paegus
16th February 2007, 13:48
hmm the redo i did has the pipes be a ladder wrapped in a marine clip so only the hidden could use them... and they made loud creaky noises when climbed. and the wood structure on the roof was collapsible when enough of its supports were broken.

there's also some weird clip-brushes on the roof above the xbox room/office.

Knigh7s
16th February 2007, 21:04
Scuzzy;110977']Yes, a few suggestions:

1) Remove the ability for people to get into that little dark hole on the second story between roofs. The only way you can kill someone up in that cubby hole is to throw barrels up there and detonate them with helium tanks and that's just a pain in the ass, takes too much time with 4 minute rounds.

That one and the one behind the fence in mid left of map. I didnt know about that dark hole in the roofs. Thanks

2) Add a ladder right at the start spawn point for people to climb up to the top of that roof area, I always have to walk around the ledges of the entire map and that's too much work for my virtual legs. :)

Exactly my thoughts lol!

3) Add a lightswitch in the office that turns on a few extra spotlights, like a new one in the REALLY dark cubby whole. :)

I'll have to look into doing that, i've never done any type of triggers as of yet. But now is a chance to learn. :)

BTW, thanks for doing this. :)

NP!

Scuzzy

I'll work on 'holm for now, i have a mental block on my biohazard map, which i was just now able to salvage from a backup?!

Dark Soul
16th February 2007, 21:30
I have seen the both the SDK version and the decompiled Hdn_Ravenholm. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that if you spent more than a day porting it then somebody should show you how to use hammer. Seriously, the bulk of the work would have been deleting all the extra crap and most of that could be safely done with entity report.

Well thats what you think,i also had to make all the roof tops and remake all the clip areas.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/9516/sdalb5.th.jpg (http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sdalb5.jpg)

Tell me i didn't need to edit more then half the map.