PDA

View Full Version : Radio Voice types

Klaus Brockley
14th February 2007, 19:18
I am not sure weather i have resquested this before but i do belive that the radio commands of certain team members should be different for example Klaus Gruber should have a german accent, Kasim Solvak should have a russian accent, and so on. I think this would make the game seem alot more realistic but saying that you are hunting an invisable enemy.

Zabiela
14th February 2007, 19:28
Send the .wav's to Ging.

ill
14th February 2007, 19:38
good idea:D

starstriker1
14th February 2007, 21:16
That is a lot of voice work. If you have access to good recording equipment, can act (or have friends who can voice act), and have the time to recreate all the voice files that the IRIS have in their respective accents, then by all means, go for it. The team doesn't have the time to do that for all the IRIS members, though.

Also, sound files are huge. Having enough voices for every member of the team would make for one hell of a download...

Paegus
14th February 2007, 21:28
even in .MP3 format? they don't HAVE to be .WAVs after all

anyway isn't kasim polish? well not russian at least...

there's been discussion on this elsewhere but no one has ponied up yet and given in samples.

starstriker1
14th February 2007, 22:20
I don't care what kind of compression you're using, sound files are large, especially in the quantities we'd be talking about.

Zabiela
14th February 2007, 23:41
128kpbs mp3s are huge? Since when?

You could even go down to 64 kbps and not many people would notice, i mean they're radio messages anyway they're supposed to sound shitty.

starstriker1
14th February 2007, 23:52
One, short radio message isn't much. 169 per player IS. Thats more than 18mb per player, to a total of 144mb extra in the filesize of the mod.

Technically, it'd be less than that, since not all of them need duplication, but thats still a lot more to be downloading at once.

Needless to say, filesize of voice files is not trivial and is certainly a consideration.

Paegus
14th February 2007, 23:53
true but you want them to sound shitty properly. crap compression can sound shitty badly.

though i haven't used a digital 2-way radio in yonks so i don't know how good or bad they sound these days.

Zabiela
15th February 2007, 00:09
true but you want them to sound shitty properly. crap compression can sound shitty badly.

though i haven't used a digital 2-way radio in yonks so i don't know how good or bad they sound these days.

True, just as bad. It sounds more fuzzy than crackly.

Knigh7s
15th February 2007, 01:23
If I had the time, I would take up on the project, we use the motorla radio's(the heavy industrial ones) here where I work and could prolly get some voices down. But that is going to be quite a task to uphold...

Paegus
15th February 2007, 10:24
well my advise would be to get a sample or 2 to submit before you commit to getting them all. wouldn't want to waste your time and effort.

VoiceOfDecember
15th February 2007, 11:44
...the radio commands of certain team members should be different for example Klaus Gruber should have a german accent, Kasim Solvak should have a russian accent, and so on...

Like in other games like CS, everyone is a copy. While in Hidden everyones different with personal backgrounds. The voices would be nice. It would be a great polish to the game. Who's gonna do it? Not me :p is there was an Aussie in there I'd be first in for voices with a bit of "Struth Mate! I see the little bastard" as hidden spotted and "No worries mate" as affirmative :D

Daedalus
15th February 2007, 12:09
The sound files don't have to be included into the download if you want to keep the filesize small. You could make the game use the default radio commands if it can't find the member-specific ones that would be in a separate download.

khu
15th February 2007, 12:19
It's completely academic, because recording 6 different characters is not something I'm going to do at this time. If this was a commercial project with a budget, I could go out and hire 6 good voice actors and do it all next week, but this isn't the case. What I would have to do is get good actors who can put character (and, yes, a little accent) into these lines while not sound cheesy or otherwise amateurish. This is not actually easy to do, which is why actors are paid good money for what they can do.

If anyone thinks they've got a great voice that can act, send me mp3s of yourself as one of the other IRIS agents, recorded clearly in a quite room with no backgrounded noises, not too close to the mike that we can hear you breathe and pop into the mike. Keep it 'dry' -- no radio filter effects.

Phaedrus
15th February 2007, 15:10
It's completely academic, because recording 6 different characters is not something I'm going to do at this time. If this was a commercial project with a budget, I could go out and hire 6 good voice actors and do it all next week, but this isn't the case. What I would have to do is get good actors who can put character (and, yes, a little accent) into these lines while not sound cheesy or otherwise amateurish. This is not actually easy to do, which is why actors are paid good money for what they can do.

If anyone thinks they've got a great voice that can act, send me mp3s of yourself as one of the other IRIS agents, recorded clearly in a quite room with no backgrounded noises, not too close to the mike that we can hear you breathe and pop into the mike. Keep it 'dry' -- no radio filter effects.

This....is Hidden Idol! Please release a compilation of the crap submissions It should be hilarious.

hutch
15th February 2007, 19:03
This....is Hidden Idol! Please release a compilation of the crap submissions It should be hilarious.

I R LIEK TEH BEST HIDDEN EVAR!!!111!!!

Anyway, i don't have a mic to show off my wicked sick voice acting skills anyway.

Knigh7s
16th February 2007, 03:52
Well, then for the first question, what are all the Nationalities of all the characters?

VoiceOfDecember
16th February 2007, 04:13

I got one for ya, how/where do I send it to ya? Or shall I post it on the net for all you to listen to :rolleyes:

crans
16th February 2007, 07:37
... Or shall I post it on the net for all you to listen to :rolleyes:

DO THAT!!

khu
16th February 2007, 09:06
I got one for ya, how/where do I send it to ya? Or shall I post it on the net for all you to listen to :rolleyes:

Well, you could always post it on the net and PM me the link...:p

khu
16th February 2007, 09:10
Well, then for the first question, what are all the Nationalities of all the characters?

http://www.hidden-source.com/media.htm#iris

Since we're recorded lines with English and US accents, I suppose Swope and Wakefield are already are spoken for.

GET IT? SPOKEN FOR?

crans
16th February 2007, 09:14
http://www.hidden-source.com/media.htm#iris

Since we're recorded lines with English and US accents, I suppose Swope and Wakefield are already are spoken for.

GET IT? SPOKEN FOR?

A Kitten just exploded after you said that.

VoiceOfDecember
19th February 2007, 09:05
Yea im really really lazy. When I find a free place to upload I will. (Yes, even too lazy to google it right now)

Paegus
19th February 2007, 10:51
http://uploadhosted.filefront.com/

and i just noticed that EVERY personnel report has the exact same coffee stain... tsk tsk tsk

Ging
19th February 2007, 11:38
They were stacked up on the guvnors desk and he put his mug down, drippage ensued and they all got (mysteriously) the same stain mark.

Ion67
19th February 2007, 16:41
A Kitten just exploded after you said that.

I just found my 6 month old cat dead under my bed you ass!:p

VoiceOfDecember
20th February 2007, 05:03
My sound file for KG's "Bring It":

http://files.filefront.com//;6775942;;/

crans
20th February 2007, 05:17
I just found my 6 month old cat dead under my bed you ass!:p

Seriously? Yummy.

Daedalus
20th February 2007, 12:37
My sound file for KG's "Bring It":

http://files.filefront.com//;6775942;;/

Either something wrong with that link or my browser is screwing up filefront...

khu
20th February 2007, 14:06
Doesn't work for me either. I hope that' s a long sample, it's hard to make a judge anyone's abilties with two words.

Paegus
20th February 2007, 14:48
hmm .zip it?

VoiceOfDecember
21st February 2007, 12:50
hmm .zip it?

http://files.filefront.com//;6782948;;/

Took me about 5min but I think it was worth it.

Paegus
21st February 2007, 13:00
okay... so you just yoinked that from Predator (1). Not quite what they're after I'd hazard.

Daedalus
21st February 2007, 13:02
Lol, stealing ftw.

brechtos
21st February 2007, 13:08
How about

"Heeeeeeere kitty kitty kitty"

VoiceOfDecember
21st February 2007, 13:14
Lol, stealing ftw.

What did you expect. Me? A voice actor? lol

But I still top the list on best entry (by default) :D

I hope you got a cheap laugh like I did ;)

Paegus
21st February 2007, 13:20
actually yeah that was the general idea.

Mart Ini
23rd February 2007, 11:49
http://files.filefront.com//;6782948;;/

Took me about 5min but I think it was worth it.

Haha