PDA

View Full Version : Rednecks, Alabama and ...Top Gear

Alt
14th February 2007, 00:20
Ohh Jesus Christ this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6MJVzXbqRU) is good. I've only ever read about people being anti-something of an individual's beliefs or characteristics, but this is something I've not seen until now. Erhhh, God bless America? :D

Paegus
14th February 2007, 01:29
i voted staged but one never knows... the cow bit cracked me up.
that said i actually drove almost the exact same course but in reverse as a last jaunt across the US before heading back to Britain in '03. the southerners are actually bloody nice as long as you keep your nose out of their 'religions'... they have to be... they all own lots and lots of guns. plus i was from farther south than any of them... hawaii being a whooping 19º or so above the equator.

crans
14th February 2007, 01:44
I haven't watched it yet, but I'm asuming it's the UK show 'Top Gear'? I love the ep where they launch cars off the cliff side and shoot em down with cannons and the sort. heh.

Kira Yamato
14th February 2007, 02:52
Something about this screams scripted. REALLY BADLY SCRIPTED.

Pan the Goat God
14th February 2007, 04:20
This was great. Alabama is just like that.

crans
14th February 2007, 07:42
Just watched it, what pussies, they didn't even keep the paint on! Yeesh, I mean it's not like the Rednecks could've done much, I mean, there was footage, unless I'm underestimating their stupidity.

-<<SyycK>>-
14th February 2007, 08:29
they couldve done alot actually...
nothing legal of course

only thing about that that made it seem scripted was when they showed coke being used to get rid of the paint

crans
14th February 2007, 08:40
they couldve done alot actually...
nothing legal of course

only thing about that that made it seem scripted was when they showed coke being used to get rid of the paint

They use coke to get rid of blood stain on the highways in America. What's so ludicrous about coke getting rid of paint?

Paegus
14th February 2007, 09:17
yeah coke dissolves pretty much anything... given time. though i'm fairly certain the paint was designed to come of really easily because they'd not be able to sell their cars with crap like that written on the side.

Euphoria
14th February 2007, 10:44
I still haven't worked out what they ate and how they prepared it, either the cow or the squirrel, so I think it was scripted. Saying that, I haven't laughed so hard as when I watched that last Sunday.

edit: thinking back to previous episodes I think they did script, or at least have scripted in the past. They wouln't have set their caravan on fire on their caravaning trip or run over their neighbouring tent, or in a different episode set a car wash on fire by sending a wrecked DIY convertable through it. Would they???

Ging
14th February 2007, 11:01
A fair amount of stuff is scripted when they do bits like that - it just makes it that bit more entertaining.

Paegus
14th February 2007, 12:05
event scripting definitely (har?)...
i remain hopeful that the conversational banter is at most very lightly scripted with the majority of it being improvisational wit.
there are some out-takes on youtube somewhere that are kinda funny though.
either way it's still pretty damn funny so does it really matter?

Zabiela
14th February 2007, 20:27
Removed b4 I saw it.

Alt
14th February 2007, 20:30
"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by British Broadcasting Corporation"

Awww man...

Paegus
14th February 2007, 22:32
that's rubbish imo. they broadcast it on the airwaves for anyone with a tv to receive. or is it only in the US that you're allowed to record and redistribute shows that are aired thus?

Ging
14th February 2007, 22:49
It's probably only because they're starting their own download service - so don't really want the content available elsewhere.

Zabiela
14th February 2007, 23:02
Anyway they made the show- theyll decide where and where it isnt put.

While im dissapointed to see interesting stuff get removed, I understand why the authors do so.

Kira Yamato
15th February 2007, 00:59
Anyway they made the show- theyll decide where and where it isnt put.

How many pirates are there that dis agree with you on that?

While im dissapointed to see interesting stuff get removed, I understand why the authors do so.

It's the same thing the MPAA, and RIAA do. Which is screw the customer over to squeeze every last penny out of something, because they can't see beyond their own pocket books.

Zabiela
15th February 2007, 01:07
It's the same thing the MPAA, and RIAA do. Which is screw the customer over to squeeze every last penny out of something, because they can't see beyond their own pocket books.

Well yeah it sucks for the consumers, but it makes sense.
The only thing I think is stupid is prosecuting the people who upload/download. It doesnt solve anything, it just makes "examples".

Kira Yamato
15th February 2007, 01:16
Well yeah it sucks for the consumers, but it makes sense.
The only thing I think is stupid is prosecuting the people who upload/download. It doesnt solve anything, it just makes "examples".

No it makes no sense, because when Napster running back in the day, not like now, but as a file sharing platform, Record sales were higher then ever. Then they shut down napster, that pissed people off, and sales still haven't recovered.

As for going after individual clients? Thats getting harder and harder to do because more and more people are using "annoymizers." When ever they manage to smack a pirate, a hundred more pop up, because they no longer want to give their money to these greedy bastards, who in fact don't pay the artists shit.

Ging
15th February 2007, 01:21
It's the same thing the MPAA, and RIAA do.

Not really - the bbc show repeats of top gear all the time, it's aired on a sunday, repeated on the same channel 2 days later and probably again on one of their other channels during the week.

Zabiela
15th February 2007, 01:34
when Napster running back in the day, not like now, but as a file sharing platform, Record sales were higher then ever. Then they shut down napster, that pissed people off, and sales still haven't recovered.

Do you have an article about this that isnt speculation?
I have a hard time beleiving that the "I dl'ed a song I liked, so I bought the cd" syndrome brought the record companies more money than they lost because people were downloading.
I mean, sure it happens that someone will go buy the album, but compared to the number of people getting the music that arent going to pay squat... its uncomparable.
I still see illegal downloading as a loss of profit, so it makes sense for the companies to fight back.
Now the smartest thing to do is to go the itunes way, allow people to sample songs before they buy them, and buy them individually. This gives almost the same freedom as downloading, and lets the consumer pay a more reasonable price for the music he wants.

Ging
15th February 2007, 17:10
new link (http://www.videosift.com/video/Top-Gear-crew-nearly-get-lynched-in-Alabama)

edit°
15th February 2007, 17:44
I have a hard time beleiving that the "I dl'ed a song I liked, so I bought the cd" syndrome brought the record companies more money than they lost because people were downloading.
I mean, sure it happens that someone will go buy the album, but compared to the number of people getting the music that arent going to pay squat... its uncomparable.
I still see illegal downloading as a loss of profit, so it makes sense for the companies to fight back.
Now the smartest thing to do is to go the itunes way, allow people to sample songs before they buy them, and buy them individually. This gives almost the same freedom as downloading, and lets the consumer pay a more reasonable price for the music he wants.

In the case of the stuff I download, its money that doesn't exist anyway so in the case of me and my friends, its definately not lost proffit.

Alt
15th February 2007, 19:12
I'm guessing I didn't comprehend what you said edit°. You download music, games and DVD movies and think its not lost profit?

Kira Yamato
15th February 2007, 20:15
First off Zabiela I don't a have any specific articles, but then again anyone who is paying attention can see these things. Second, There are always going to be people who will buy the stuff, and people who will pirate it. You can't stop the pirates, and you're not losing any money because they never would have bought the product in the first place. How ever there were people who will pirate download something, and then buy it because they liked it. However when you piss the fans off, by cracking down on the pirates, you lose sales plain and simple.

Edit:

I'm guessing I didn't comprehend what you said edit&#176;. You download music, games and DVD movies and think its not lost profit?
You can't lose profit if some one pirates something they weren't ever going to buy. But if the pirate liked what they downloaded, they might just buy other related thing for said company. Kind of like if you hear a song you like on the radio you might buy the album, or a show you like on TV and buying the boxed set.

Zabiela
15th February 2007, 21:27
First off Zabiela I don't a have any specific articles, but then again anyone who is paying attention can see these things.

Oops, someones getting mad. :D

Seriously how do I do this to you kira, I dont even try.

edit°
15th February 2007, 23:31
I'm guessing I didn't comprehend what you said edit°. You download music, games and DVD movies and think its not lost profit?

What Kira said. If I couldn't download it I just wouldn't have it at all, the money simply isn't there :p

Zabiela
15th February 2007, 23:46
What Kira said. If I couldn't download it I just wouldn't have it at all, the money simply isn't there :p

I dont think thats true of everyone though, and my opinion on the matter is that your type is a minority, and most people dont buy records anymore because they get them free off limewire.

Kira Yamato
15th February 2007, 23:48
I dont think thats true of everyone though, and my opinion on the matter is that your type is a minority, and most people dont buy records anymore because they get them free off limewire.

Most people don't buy records because they can download them cheap off of I-tunes. Only a minority of people actually pirate them selfs.

Alt
16th February 2007, 02:38
I agree with Zabiela on this. Bottom line, the film/music/games industry would make more money if pirating didn't exist.

Kira Yamato
16th February 2007, 03:39
I agree with Zabiela on this. Bottom line, the film/music/games industry would make more money if pirating didn't exist.

No it wouldn't. Quite simply that there are ALWAYS people who are going to want to get these things for free. If some one wasn't going to pay for something in the first place they wouldn't anyways. In fact because a lot of pirated versions of things are crappy, or inconvenient for the pirate they'd tend to buy an official copy.

Alt
16th February 2007, 11:50
No Kira, that is bogus. I know many people (including myself) who download content (music in particular) who would have gladly purchased it if it were not available for free. Your idea that pirating doesn't lose firms profit is very short-sighted. You are talking minority, how ever big or small.

edit°
16th February 2007, 13:34
You're both dealing in absolutes which is a big no no really. I'd say the actual state of piracy lies somewhere between where you two stand. Sure they would make more money if pirating didn't exist, but I dare say that the problem is MASSIVELY overexaggurated because as I said before, for a great many people I know and myself its money that would never have been spent in the first place.

Kira Yamato
16th February 2007, 23:55
I agree wit edit, Alt. We're dealing in data here. Some people nab something free, and then buy something else form the same artist/company/developer. Not all pirates, pirate all the time some do yes, but compared to normal consumers they're a tiny minority. It actually costs more money to fight piracy then just to deal with it you know.

Zabiela
17th February 2007, 00:06
It actually costs more money to fight piracy then just to deal with it you know.

That I agree with.

Alt
17th February 2007, 01:36
It actually costs more money to fight piracy then just to deal with it you know.

Fighting piracy can and does deter people from downloading illegal content, thus balancing the loss:gain profit ratio.

Some people nab something free, and then buy something else form the same artist/company/developer.

That's mildly amusing. I'm sure, if they download one single and purchase another from the same artist, everything is fine. :p

Their is no excuse for downloading content that you are provided to pay for. If you can't afford it, move on, forget about it. If you think its OK because its just a small minority, think (http://animatedfilms.suite101.com/article.cfm/fansubs_3__what_cost_piracy_) again. (http://www.bpi.co.uk/pdf/Illegal_Filesharing_Factsheet.pdf)

Zabiela
17th February 2007, 01:44
I like how this thread is skipping along the surface of the "no piracy discussion" rule. :D

crans
17th February 2007, 02:01
Anyways.... How about them Hicks aye???

Paegus
17th February 2007, 09:29
I like how this thread is skipping along the surface of the "no piracy discussion" rule. :D

i hope there's a distinction between 'talking about piracy' and 'talking about how to pirate'. badly worded or just a blanket rule because of the religion/politics style debate it encourages?

If you think its OK because its just a small minority, think (http://animatedfilms.suite101.com/article.cfm/fansubs_3__what_cost_piracy_) again. (http://www.bpi.co.uk/pdf/Illegal_Filesharing_Factsheet.pdf)

i don't think you read your think (http://animatedfilms.suite101.com/article.cfm/fansubs_3__what_cost_piracy_) article correctly... it claims that piracy doesn't hurt nearly as much as they make it out to while bashing the hollywood execs for being money-grubbing prats.

The most famous example of such industry shenanigans was in 1994, when Paramount made Forrest Gump, a highly-successful movie based on the Winston Groom novel. When Groom requested his share of the $677 million worldwide take (as part of his contract with the studio), Paramount refused, claiming that the multiple Oscar-winning film never actually made a profit. Paramount then asked Groom for the movie rights to his sequel, Gump and Co., so they could film it as well The author, not surprisingly, refused.

edit°
17th February 2007, 10:18
Their is no excuse for downloading content that you are provided to pay for. If you can't afford it, move on, forget about it.

There is. No one is losing money and I'm gaining enjoyment. How does the logic behind this still illude you? :confused: If we're going to make it a moral thing then we could get into how record companies and music industry boss-men have a stranglehold on whats being listened to (especially in england) and go into how 'right' that is. Theres nothing evil about downloading something you were never going to/be able to buy anyway.

Kira Yamato
17th February 2007, 10:38
There is. No one is losing money and I'm gaining enjoyment. How does the logic behind this still illude you? :confused: If we're going to make it a moral thing then we could get into how record companies and music industry boss-men have a stranglehold on whats being listened to (especially in england) and go into how 'right' that is. Theres nothing evil about downloading something you were never going to/be able to buy anyway.

On top of this, the record companies pay the artists bare minimum. The movie industry completely screws actors with unreasonable contracts. The Game industry is constantly adding bloat ware to games, causing them to mess up your registry, and slow your computer down. Though these are not absolutes they're pretty common in their own right, and they hurt the consumer. As long as companies put their desire for money over the consumer, there will always be people ready to exploit them. Don't go off and say, "thats how capitalism works," either. It's not Capitalism works on a diverse market where people have choice over who to purchase from, not a few companies having strangle holds. Basically in a true capitalistic system, as is usually witnessed in American small business, businesses which screw their customers over lose their business to businesses who take the stand: "The customer is always right."

Ging
17th February 2007, 17:06
The Game industry is constantly adding bloat ware to games, causing them to mess up your registry, and slow your computer down.

Meh???

Paegus
18th February 2007, 00:05
Ubi soft used some nasty safedisc alternative that eventually boned the computer. i forget exactly what it's called but they don't use it any more. star-something?

Kira Yamato
18th February 2007, 00:30
EA games are pure evil on a disc. BF2's on registry entries messed up at least 4 others. After I installed BF2 Winamp stopped working, Widget engeine stopped working, a new registry based error poped up in HL2, and my wireless drivers got a new registry error. I still haven't reinstalled HL2, seeing as it still works fine, it only crashes occasionally.

Ging
18th February 2007, 12:32
Ubi soft used some nasty safedisc alternative that eventually boned the computer. i forget exactly what it's called but they don't use it any more. star-something?

Wasn't just Ubisoft that used StarForce - while I'm not a huge fan of it, it did do it's job.

Still wasn't really malware and BF2 never caused me any issues when I installed Kira, nor anyone else I know of with it that sort of implies an issue at your end.