PDA

View Full Version : Damn, HellGate stealin' Pirates....

crans
11th February 2007, 02:42
http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/718/718105p1.html

ZOMG CHEEP COPI OF HELLGATE!

Kira Yamato
11th February 2007, 02:54
I think that the right approach to this is just leave it be. The copy will suck, and you can track and ban illegal copies anyways. So all you need to do is quietly catch the pirate and get him locked up. Besides the point cracking down on pirates tends to piss fans off(Remember Napster vs RIAA, music sales still haven't recovered.), and that hurts sales. People are gonna pirate in the long run and you can't stop them really, and even so for every pirate there are a minimum of a hundred people who will do things legally. The only thing this leaked copy will do is beat a path to the pirate's door, and besides it's china, a place where you can pick up the latest Photoshop for $3.

Disclaimer: I do not condone pirating in anyway shape, or form. But won't bother stopping some one just so a company can pinch pennies.

crans
11th February 2007, 04:44
I just hope it doesn't ruin the anticipation :eek:

starstriker1
11th February 2007, 05:08
I am compelled to point out Stardock, the makers of Galactic Civilizations 2, who take a different route: make more money by NOT inconveniencing customers, and dont put annoying CD and CD key restrictions in. All you need is a serial number... and thats only if you want updates (which they're very good about... the game improves vastly with each patch... not to say that the original product was at all bad!). You can install it on as many computers as you want, and if you lose the CD, you can install from the net with only the serial number.

Suffice to say, I'd love it if more companies would do that.

Kira Yamato
11th February 2007, 05:23
Now thats a good idea striker.

Edit: I like how steam works it. You can install steam, and all games tied to your account on any number of PCs. Because you can download all the games you own, or install them by CD which makes the system very flexible. Now the serial number system is pretty much the same as the CD/Product key system used by steam to validate that your account owns the game, and once it's validated, its tied to your account for ever. Meaning that so long as you can remember your user name and password you never need to enter that key again. The only draw back is that you can't play same game, with the same CD key, on more then one PC, online, at one time.

Ion67
11th February 2007, 05:35
That is why I LOVE steam. When I tried to find HL:2 for about an hour, I realized it was on my steam account. Steam is very handy. I wish more companies would work around the customer, instead of the other way around.

Paegus
11th February 2007, 11:22
why is working around the customer better? they should be working for the customer...

Ging
11th February 2007, 13:06
mef, the same thing didn't have a major impact on sales of HL2 and the article only mentions source code. Though it's interesting to note that Bill Roper said they'd heard the same rumours - surely, a quick check of logs for odd access to their source code repository would confirm it.

The lesson to be learnt here, which should have been learnt when it happened to HL2, is to not keep source (of any sort) available via a public network that has routing through to the internet.

QReaper
11th February 2007, 15:58
*ahem*

US, July 11, 2006

Ging
11th February 2007, 16:13
I thought I'd read about this before - but ignored it as deja vu, I just figured this was a new article due to the new linkage...

Gusdor
11th February 2007, 16:46
hah, good one ladies

Demented
11th February 2007, 22:23
Great. Six months later, it should be easy to check up on how things resolved themselves... right?

crans
12th February 2007, 06:53
hah, good one ladies

LADIES?!?! Wha- WHERE!?!? AHHH!!!!!!

Demented
12th February 2007, 07:47
It's just an expression crans, stop overreacting. You'll make us look bad in front of the surfer girls.

crans
12th February 2007, 07:59
Be cool, be cool...

*trips and stumbles over chair*

:(