PDA

View Full Version : Round Story Summary

Phaedrus
11th February 2007, 00:53
Well, I know this is perhaps just a novelty, but I thought it might be a cool way to add some depth to the character's and the backstory. My thought is that at the round end, there could be a file folder like the selection screen, but have the outcome of the round in summary and story forms. The story part would relate different aspects of each character to how they performed during the "incedent". The story summary would have several defined components, like cause of death or injuries, damage dealt or kill made, team wounding or team killing, and resulting backstory.

Some examples:

Duncan Wallace - Status: KIA - Autopsy reveals the COD was from (blunt force trama, knife wounds, explosion, etc.) to the (head,chest,legs,arms,neck,etc.). Security recordings indicate Duncan appeared to wound 617 (several) times. (Duncan's has shown reckless abandon in the past and there is evidence that before his death, he was involved in a friendly fire incident, resulting in the death of fellow team member, Colin Wakefield.)

Subject 617 - Status: Terminated - The IRIS team sucessfully "recovered" 617, taking (no, mild, moderate, heavy) losses during the incident.

Subject 617 - Status: Escaped - Evidence recoved from the scene reveals that 617 (easily, quickly, slowly, etc) (killed, decimated, out-matched, etc) the entire (number) man IRIS team. Security recording reveal that 617 was (not, slightly, greviously, etc) wounded during the incident.

Anyway, these are crude examples, but I hope you get the idea. I think if done cleverly, this type of screen could add some extra polish to the game. Maybe an alternate method would be to do it as a status screen back at HQ, like status updates from the incident. I dunno - just some thoughts I wanted share and get some opinions on.

hutch
11th February 2007, 01:34
Why? I want the next match to start after I've died. Not to read what I already knew.

Phaedrus
11th February 2007, 01:39
Why? I want the next match to start after I've died. Not to read what I already knew.

Heh. I guess we can just wait until The Hidden gets made into a movie starring The Rock? Perhaps only for when you die then and only for your character?

Zabiela
11th February 2007, 01:46
Maybe if it was single player.

starstriker1
11th February 2007, 05:03
What about as some kind of subtle background thing? IE, at the end of each round, fade in the scoreboard with it's folder background, and have it stacked on top of other folders with this kind of flavour text that changes round after round. After all, there's a short lull between rounds built into the game, so it'd be a nice touch.

It WOULD be subtle, though.

Ion67
11th February 2007, 05:31
What about as some kind of subtle background thing? IE, at the end of each round, fade in the scoreboard with it's folder background, and have it stacked on top of other folders with this kind of flavour text that changes round after round. After all, there's a short lull between rounds built into the game, so it'd be a nice touch.

It WOULD be subtle, though.

I like that idea. Make it so you don't really know it's there, but it entertains you.

Paegus
11th February 2007, 11:51
as in track who died in what order and have the folder tabs with the Last, F. names on them arranged to match the order with the individual tabs and corners filling 1 of 8 random slots each of which has a configurable z index so you can make them appear stacked...?

sounds good...

-SM-SUCKER
11th February 2007, 12:10
You could make this reports accesable when pressing Tab. Just add a button and this way you can read those reports when dead. Might be a nice touch.

Paegus
11th February 2007, 13:21
would be fun but it's overkill imo...

Phaedrus
11th February 2007, 16:27
as in track who died in what order and have the folder tabs with the Last, F. names on them arranged to match the order with the individual tabs and corners filling 1 of 8 random slots each of which has a configurable z index so you can make them appear stacked...?

sounds good...

Yes, tabs would be perfect. Plus it should have more story related things than my examples, like how they never walked again because of the leg injuries or they quit the team after a friendly fire incident or whatever. I think it would be a very nice touch.

Ion67
11th February 2007, 16:45
It is obvious they didn't quit the team, they are in the next round. I say make it like the summary in Hitman: Blood Money. Make it like a newspaper report, and have separate reports for each player.

Paegus
11th February 2007, 16:57
if you follow that logic then you'd need new characters for every round because the ones that died last round are miraculously recovered.

think of it this way: every round is the first, last and ONLY round. you're playing the same snippet of their universe's time over and over again for all eternity.

Phaedrus
11th February 2007, 17:39
if you follow that logic then you'd need new characters for every round because the ones that died last round are miraculously recovered.

think of it this way: every round is the first, last and ONLY round. you're playing the same snippet of their universe's time over and over again for all eternity.

That is the way I was thinking about it. That you are replaying different events with different outcomes each time.

khu
11th February 2007, 19:18
Does anyone really think that doing this every round for an hour would still be interesting? I can't see any reason why this has priority over the other stuff that we're working.

The payoff-to-effort ratio is far too low.

edit°
11th February 2007, 20:37
I can go further and say theres not a lasting pay-off. Something that could (if B5 games are anything like the ones we've had :p ) be repeating every 20 - 30 seconds for as long as you're playing would have some novelty for the first 30 mins at the most, after that you wouldn't even give it a second glance and it would be more of an annoyance. The intention is great and people should be thinking of more ideas LIKE this, but this particular one isn't the way to go imho.

starstriker1
11th February 2007, 20:59
I'm going to agree. More flavour stuff would be nice, but dynamically generating it when it'd recieve so little attention would be a massive waste of resources.

Paegus
11th February 2007, 21:03
hence the keep it simple and just have it look like there are folders of some sort underneath the top scoreboard one. being able to access them is overkill really. but having them look like they're there is a nice touch that most players wont consciously notice...

<Beatlemania>
11th February 2007, 22:39
it'd be nice...oh i know while youre dead you can read through people who have died, and yourself...other than that having it at the end of the round would be really annoying.

Ion67
11th February 2007, 22:42
I do recall Ging downing an idea of a mini-game (playing as a mouse) when you were dead, but I do believe there should be something to do. Although, with rag doll camera's, I may be happier.

ill
12th February 2007, 10:47
some nice thoughts here i like the first idea and when you are dead it would be nice for us to look around as cameras:D or a little bit more stats and entertainment when you died:p