PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Commander Demo

GrimReaper84
9th February 2007, 05:59
Well in case you useless poms and in-bred yanks haven't heard yet the demo for Supreme Commander is out.

My thoughts.. haven't played it a whole lot yet... but I can certainly say to anyone fearing the doomsayer "it's just TA with cooler graphics" are ignorant yokels who wouldn't know a good game if it bit them on the ass.

Is it the best RTS ever? Who knows... in all likelihood, probably not. But what I've played so far shows me a good solid member of the RTS family.

Demented
9th February 2007, 06:07
You could say we heard about it. (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=7761)

Dark Soul
9th February 2007, 06:10
Can't play it,saving up space for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R beta.

Kira Yamato
9th February 2007, 06:41
Well in case you useless poms and in-bred yanks haven't heard yet the demo for Supreme Commander is out.

Yeah we've heard you poofish convict. :p
Yeah it's okay, I don't much care for most RTS games, and I'll be sticking with Dawn of War as my RTS. Thank you very much.

crans
9th February 2007, 08:51
Yeah we've heard you poofish convict. :p

Shine yer shoes Gov'ner?

Gusdor
9th February 2007, 10:25
My thoughts.. haven't played it a whole lot yet... but I can certainly say to anyone fearing the doomsayer "it's just TA with cooler graphics" are ignorant yokels who wouldn't know a good game if it bit them on the ass.
I ask you, what the hell is wrong with that?

legoman
9th February 2007, 17:55
Can't play it,saving up space for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R beta.

WHERE?? GIVE IT TO ME NOW!

Please?

QReaper
9th February 2007, 20:07
WHERE?? GIVE IT TO ME NOW!

Please?

lurk fileplanet more

legoman
9th February 2007, 20:09
Oh, no thanks then. Stupid FP registrations.

Daedalus
9th February 2007, 20:32
Is anyone still interested in STALKER?

I lost all my interest after it got delayed again and again and again...

QReaper
9th February 2007, 21:36
March 13

scratch
9th February 2007, 22:18
Wasn't it March 20ish?

legoman
10th February 2007, 04:49
Yes, I am still very, VERY interested in it. In fact, I think it'll be the second game I will ever buy in my entire lifetime (Half Life 2 being the first, WoW doesn't count :D ).

starstriker1
10th February 2007, 06:03
True. WoW isn't a game, it's digital heroin.

Kira Yamato
10th February 2007, 07:28
True. WoW isn't a game, it's digital heroin.

No Ever Quest 2 is digital heroin, WoW is digital crystal meth.

Gusdor
10th February 2007, 09:06
No Ever Quest 2 is digital heroin, WoW is digital crystal meth.
Yeh, Wow makes me so horney!

crans
10th February 2007, 09:34
Yeh, Wow makes me so horney!

Damn Scottish folk, get anything in their system and they just go all horny and such. :p

Gusdor
10th February 2007, 11:57
You'll find that that is one of the symptoms of Methamphetamine....

GrimReaper84
10th February 2007, 22:16
A: That sounds like the voice of.... personal experience.
B: He's right, get ANYTHING into a Scot and they get horny.:p

Euphoria
11th February 2007, 19:28
Back on topic....

I've never played TA but I absolutely love the demo. It just looks fanastic to play, whether your zoomed all the way out or in, and the AI is really fun to play against (haven't tried the hardest difficulty, but I've heard its intelligent for an rts.) When you play the campaign (I can only vouch for the Cybran campaign, being the only one featured in the demo) I felt very attached to the factions cause and felt that the Cybrans cause was right, and I expect playing the other factions in the campaign will give the same effect. Also, the fact that everything is simulated, instead of shots being a hit or miss calculated by chance or having more effect against a certain unit (eg- no rock, paper, scissors gameplay) so much more realistic than other rts', as well as the scale of the units being right (unlike Rise of Nations). The game itself just feels more real.

In a nutshell, it may be the first game I've demoed to actually buy.

Daedalus
11th February 2007, 20:06
Here's a question.

I'm running a 3800+ dualcore with 2 gigs of ram and a 6600gt. Is it normal for the game to lag even on low settings?

Ging
11th February 2007, 20:32
Your issue sir, is the 6600... Distinctly mid-range...

starstriker1
11th February 2007, 22:04
Fortunately, the lag isn't usually game killing, because it's not a twitch game in any sense. Hell, you can QUEUE UP your entire base's layout, freeing you from having to deal with giving the build orders for each individual thing. Micromanagement isn't so huge an issue that lower framerates are going to bring you down.

I get a lower framerate in the game, but that's mostly because of my propensity to play games at absurd resolutions and my love of detailed textures.

I probably won't be buying it in the near future, even though I loved the beta and demo... I just don't have the time to play yet ANOTHER game at the moment. :(

Ging
11th February 2007, 22:34
I spent a whole lot of time in the beta + demo in the strategic view checking routes and setting up build queues... In fact, because it eased the strain on the machine, I started preferring to play like that unless something really required my attention at the tactical level.

Gusdor
12th February 2007, 19:14
Back on topic....

I've never played TA but I absolutely love the demo. It just looks fanastic to play, whether your zoomed all the way out or in, and the AI is really fun to play against (haven't tried the hardest difficulty, but I've heard its intelligent for an rts.) When you play the campaign (I can only vouch for the Cybran campaign, being the only one featured in the demo) I felt very attached to the factions cause and felt that the Cybrans cause was right, and I expect playing the other factions in the campaign will give the same effect. Also, the fact that everything is simulated, instead of shots being a hit or miss calculated by chance or having more effect against a certain unit (eg- no rock, paper, scissors gameplay) so much more realistic than other rts', as well as the scale of the units being right (unlike Rise of Nations). The game itself just feels more real.

In a nutshell, it may be the first game I've demoed to actually buy.
TA with cliche sci-fi storyline applied.

I spent a whole lot of time in the beta + demo in the strategic view checking routes and setting up build queues... In fact, because it eased the strain on the machine, I started preferring to play like that unless something really required my attention at the tactical level.
Ditto - speaking of tactics, i REALLY like the ETA on unfulfilled orders when you hold shift. Im also a big fan of coordinated attacks. Pretty neat when you want to distract defenses from your bombers.

The AI seems balls imo. The application of landing pads is crude. Why do we have to micromanage when we are promised hundreds of units? You need to rearm? Just fucking do it, don't wait for me to tell you.....

Example: why are the cyborg people with the RED logo automatically russian? It would be believable if the Dr responsible for them was russian, but he sure doesnt speak like that.

Daedalus
12th February 2007, 19:34
Example: why are the cyborg people with the RED logo automatically russian? It would be believable if the Dr responsible for them was russian, but he sure doesnt speak like that.

Hahah, yeah I've noticed that too. I find it funny. Thought the Aeon speak like hippies, and who knows, the UEF might have the typical american accent...

starstriker1
13th February 2007, 01:52
I haven't had any problems with rearming and refuleings my aircraft... setting them on a patrol, they automatically land at my landing pads and cruisers to refuel...

Demented
13th February 2007, 02:23
Sounds just like in TA.
Sort of.

Problem in TA was, all damaged aircraft would immediately run for the nearest repair pad when you gave them the Patrol order. ALL of them, usually to the SAME airpad. If you had a few aircraft returning from an attack run and then set them on patrol to repair, this would result:

Freedom Fighter: Unable to land, repair pad is occupied.
Freedom Fighter: Unable to land, repair pad is occupied.And, because of how the order system worked, all the aircraft that couldn't land would fly back to their patrol pattern rather than hover around an existing repair pad. Then they'd all rush to a repair pad again when one became available.

Though that's preferable to what happens when you order an aircraft onto a repair pad manually. An aircraft without subsequent orders would STAY ON THE PAD after it's repaired. That's understandable in C&C, where you basically ordered helicopters and helipads as package deals, but in TA, repair pads are expensive.

starstriker1
13th February 2007, 04:32
SupCom seems to handle that much better.

Dark Soul
18th February 2007, 01:53
http://hl2beta.filesources.de/STALKER/stk-mp-setup.rar

S.T.A.L.E.R beta no fileplanet needed :D

But i think you still need a beta key :(

Edit*
For anyone that has a FP account you can get a beta key here.
http://www.fileplanet.com/betas/verify.aspx?b=14816&u=http://www.fileplanet.com/betas/stalker_auth_key.aspx

GrimReaper84
18th February 2007, 03:08
oooooo... shinny.

*DLing*

OK, DL failed.. bad file.

But got the email finally from FilePlanet confirming the beta key with a link to the Beta Client so I should be right this time round.