PDA

View Full Version : Now I have two HDDs

Alt
7th February 2007, 23:23
So yeah, pretty explanatory. My question is simply this:
What should I put on it?

I was thinking perhaps games but I'm not sure if the IDE connector to my (well, lets just say new) HDD is => than the IDE connector to my 'primary' HDD (the one I've been using all this time).

butterқnife
7th February 2007, 23:35
Music, photos, video, data backup, installer files or disc isos, pr0n... whatever you're into.

There shouldn't be a performance difference between the IDE channels. There would be a performance difference if the disks operate at a difference transfer rate i.e. UDMA4 vs UDMA6 or have a difference in seek time and platter density.

Alt
7th February 2007, 23:38
OK so, OS and games on one HD and other crap (photos, music, video) on the other. I like. I'll take into consideration. :D

Demented
8th February 2007, 00:20
A secondary hard drive almost always starts out as a backup, and then eventually turns into extra storage space.

Ging
8th February 2007, 00:44
I've got like, three HDD's - but I can never remember which is which when I'm looking at it in explorer due to the partitioning...

Chas0r
8th February 2007, 07:13
Hardware HDDs in this computer? 4. I hope that pwns you all ;) Right, I can only use three of them at a time, but hey thats not the point..

So, I use one HDD for gaming only, one for data, one for the main OS and one HDD that never sees the net for data archiving.

Alt
8th February 2007, 08:47
Gaming eh? Thats the road I was hoping to take. How can I do it? Can I literally just cut/paste from Program Files/ to the other HD? :o I'm not counting on it.

Paegus
8th February 2007, 15:06
it's best to install the game from scratch onto that drive because the system (and possibly the game itself) may think it's still where it was.

as for this machine:

IDE 0

80GB Maxtor (:eek:)

60GB "name of OS and date of install". The main OS i use and whatever apps i usually install on it.
20GB the latest windows/linux/reactOS distro i've convinced myself i'm too busy or lazy to ever get around to exploring properly.

120GB Maxtor (2x:eek:) "Persistent". mostly games and stuff that doesn't rely too heavily on the registry and save games so if the OS dies i'm not back to square

IDE 1

DVD±RW
nuffin

SATA 1

250GB WD "Home". has the migrated My Documents/Pics/Downloads etc..

SATA 2

40GB Maxtor "Scratch". system pagefile, temp files and the like.

External (USB)

250GB Seagate "RoamingDataStorage". Disc ISOs, system install/service pack files etc..

Alt
8th February 2007, 16:20
What is SATA RAID all about? I've got it but don't use it :confused:

Chas0r
8th February 2007, 16:25
Oh noes, Paegus totally outshines me with a record of 5.
But well, I used to have external harddrives, too. However we use them for filesharing now. I mean, the most primitive method of filesharing, handing that drive over to a friend ;) Package size 100GB; 100GB per day still makes 1200 KB/s :)

legoman
8th February 2007, 21:15
Wtf, I somehow read the topic as "Now I have two STDs". Sorry!

I just wanna ask something though, what do you guys prefer more: a faster hard drive with less space (under 100) or a bigger hard drive (usually over 150) that's not very fast? I really need to get a new one soon but I have no clue what to get since it's been a while.

Alt
8th February 2007, 21:19
Depends what you wanna do with it?

legoman
8th February 2007, 21:23
Well considering the fact that my hard drive is probably about 6 years old now, and that it's 40 GB where my Steam folder takes half of my space, I just need a new hard drive for every reason possible: it's too damn slow, always low on space (I use Buslink externals), need to defrag etc. etc.

Demented
8th February 2007, 21:37
Well, at least 100GB is a good mark.
After that, an unprecedented level of reliability.

Of course, you could always ask, who was it, Fluffy? I seem to remember something about video editing, huge hard drives, and loooong defragmenting times.

Alt
11th February 2007, 13:34
I use O&O Defrag (http://www.oo-software.com/en/) on startup. 80GB spread over two HDDs takes 2 minutes to defrag if I haven't downloaded anything :cool:

Kira Yamato
11th February 2007, 13:58
What is SATA RAID all about? I've got it but don't use it :confused:

SATA RAID drives are pretty cool they're really fast they come in 3 data transfer speeds right now.
SATA 100, at 1 GB/s.
SATA 150, at 2 GB/s I think.
SATA 2.0 at 3GB/s

With a sufficient cache on the hard drive you can cut the loading time of most games massively. Seek times tend to better on SATA drives. When I stepped up from an IDE drive to a SATA drive I noticed a pretty significant improvement in everything from boot time to game load time. The only real problems with SATA drives is that they need special drivers for a windows install, and they're not too friendly about migrating to a new PC.

Paegus
11th February 2007, 14:55
it's true that SATA drives are speeding up but RAID has nothing to do with that directly.

RAID = Redundant Array of Independent (or Inexpensive) Disks
primarily it's a method of making sure that if one of your drives fail you aren't up the creak while lacking a paddle. there are fringe benefits in the various configurations in which access to data (read and/or writing) is sped up to varying degrees.

the simplest is RAID-1 which has 2 drives that just mirror each other. if one fails the other one is still there. there is no write-speed boost because you have to write the data to both disks anyway. there is a read-speed boost though because you can read different parts of the data from the different drives.

google the rest if you're really interested... but i doubt you'll need to for a home computer.

Kira Yamato
11th February 2007, 20:41
Well thats true that RAID it self isn't an over all speed boost. How ever Serial ATA has more bandwidth in it's cables, and provides a significant boost in read and write times over your standard IDE. SCSI is much faster still, but more complex, and usually comes in smaller drives. SCSI is also more reliable over all, in the right conditions..

It pretty much breaks down like this:

IDE: Great reliability, and long life, but the trade off of lower bandwidth.
SCSI: Great Reliability, and High Speeds, but smaller drives that are more temperamental. (SCSI Drives like stable, climate controlled Business environments.)
SATA: Good Speed, Good Reliability, and Massive amounts of storage space.

SATA drives make a good compromise overall for a home PC. They're not the most reliable, but their speed makes up for it. Being home PC Hard Disk Drives they stand up well to dust, heat, humidity, and minor bumps.
IDE drives from what I've observed have the best life span and are the most environmentally compatible drives. This comes at the cost of bandwidth.
SCSI drives are very picky about their environment. They hate dust, heat humidity, and can take very little shaking. They're best suited for Corporate life in climate controlled rooms.

Paegus
11th February 2007, 20:56
oookay...
i was just saying that there's nothing particularly special about SATA RAID as opposed to just SATA. it's just a bunch of SATA drives working together. you can have IDE RAID and SCSI RAID and get the same benefits.

Kira Yamato
11th February 2007, 21:38
oookay...
i was just saying that there's nothing particularly special about SATA RAID as opposed to just SATA. it's just a bunch of SATA drives working together. you can have IDE RAID and SCSI RAID and get the same benefits.

where did I say that those were all RAIDs? I was just listing the various benefits of SATA, SCSI, and IDE. I was over all agreeing with you that RAIDS aren't what make the drives fast. But most SATA setups have RAID controllers, so most SATA sets are SATA RAID.

Alt
12th February 2007, 18:20
---OK guys thanks for the info. Lets stop this now please.