PDA

View Full Version : Also banned :(

LeadMagnet
7th February 2007, 20:36
hmmm, my post didn't work... i'll try again:

Hi there, i guess there's not alot of point in starting a new thread, after reading through this one, i'm guessing your no-unbanning policy will probably apply to me too.

This is me (http://www.hidden-stats.co.uk/profile.php?s=STEAM_0:1:30282)

But i'll try anyway and appeal to your understanding.
I was playing on the stalkyard 24/7 server and there was 1 guy who kept camping in the vents (usually the one by the IRIS spawn point) which really pissed me off because it made it nearly impossible for any of the hidden to kill him once he got in there. 1 thing led to another etc, then a shooting war, you know how it is.

Anyway, at some point daedalus joined in the server and said "Stop that, or else...". Next round, the douche vent camper tried to kill me with a shotgun, got most of my health down so i killed him in self defense.

I'm sure alot of you have played with me at some point, i'm not a bad guy and teamkilling is usually not my thing (34 out of 2217). I'm not a disruptive player. All i want is a fair game for everyone.

So please, i'm begging you, could someone please unban me.

Daedalus
7th February 2007, 21:21
Yeah, came into the server and there was you and some guy named LeadFagnet. Then TKs started, ventcamping commenced, general faggotry, etc.

I've got a demo though.

Zabiela
7th February 2007, 21:38
Cmooooooon b5. Vent campers and BHSers beware.

LeadMagnet
7th February 2007, 21:41
Yeah, he was changing his name to the same as other people's too.
So what do you say daedalus, is there any chance of an appeal to this?
The smokey's servers are the only decent, consistently populated servers and they have the core of hidden's good players. Tbh, there's just no point in playing on most of the other servers.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/7083/hugsws6.jpg

What difference will b5 make to all that? Removing the vents?

Daedalus
8th February 2007, 07:55
So what do you say daedalus, is there any chance of an appeal to this?

I'm not an admin.

And appealing, well, this (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=7738) thread speaks for itself.

Alt
8th February 2007, 10:18
You shouldn't have lowered yourself to LeadFagnet's level. Buuut, I'd probably do the same if that happened to me though. You sound like a decent guy, appealing with previous evidence of decent play will help you a lot in getting through the unbanning process. Hell, I'd hate it if I got banned from Smokey's. Good luck. :)

Dr.SharK
8th February 2007, 11:50
Just for your information, Leadmagnet, if you think that someone is going to camp the vent, then it's pretty easy to block it up. I can send you a demo in a PM if you want to see how :)

LeadMagnet
8th February 2007, 13:32
Sure, i'd like to see that.

daedalus, yeah i did actually read that thread before making this one, but i thought i'd try it anyway.
I honestly believe that i contribute more to the server than i do harm to it. This is a very rare for me occurence and i've learned from it.
I've even been physkilling alot more since Edit got me into it.

Gee
8th February 2007, 16:26
he has teamkilled more than me :( You guys should give people a new chance...

LeadMagnet
8th February 2007, 16:51
he has teamkilled more than me :( You guys should give people a new chance...

No... i haven't. According to your stats, you've TK'd 40 people, which is more than me. And you've only got about 1/8 of my total kills, which makes your proper kill to TK ratio much worse than mine. 18% of your kills are TKs compared to my 1.9%. There's a bit of a huge gaping difference there.

Isolation
8th February 2007, 19:51
To admins, I really think some new criteria is needed for full perm bans... K/TK ratios might be a attractive way to go...

Temp ban on offense, get someone to check stats, if it looks like an isolated incident, consider a period of probation. If probation is violated, move on to the perm ban.

Just a thought.

Zabiela
8th February 2007, 20:46
After chilly's announcement to drop stats at b5, im scared what will happen to this forum section. Those stats are vital to us for checking out players.

edit°
8th February 2007, 20:55
To admins, I really think some new criteria is needed for full perm bans... K/TK ratios might be a attractive way to go...

Temp ban on offense, get someone to check stats, if it looks like an isolated incident, consider a period of probation. If probation is violated, move on to the perm ban.

Just a thought.

The main problem with this is that twers don't even tk people so by that logic they don't deserve the ban. Our no nonsense thing has worked for years with very very few complaints. Its not just me being pigheaded but I don't think we need to do anything differently. As for unbanning you leadmagnet I leave it to the rest of the admins. My vote would be a 'no' but its purely because I don't have any guarantee you wouldn't do it again.

Isolation
8th February 2007, 21:00
Don't worry, I've just been thinking of alternatives. There seem to be far too many cases of asses teamwounding people, just so they get TKed in return to ban their victims. I'd wager a simple teamwound percentage stat would help with that.

Reminds me of the insurance fraud where someone cuts you off, then slams on their brakes to make it look like you hit them...

edit°
8th February 2007, 21:02
I agree to an extent but the reason we decided to do it the way we are doing is because we saw way too many people being pulled out on and instead of taking the liscence plate number and telling the police they just rammed the other car off the road :D

LeadMagnet
8th February 2007, 21:53
The main problem with this is that twers don't even tk people so by that logic they don't deserve the ban. Our no nonsense thing has worked for years with very very few complaints. Its not just me being pigheaded but I don't think we need to do anything differently. As for unbanning you leadmagnet I leave it to the rest of the admins. My vote would be a 'no' but its purely because I don't have any guarantee you wouldn't do it again.

I get that this game would have a much bigger problem with TKers than other games because you can't turn off FF without adversely affecting gameplay and you can't have an automatic TK-punish system because it would catch people who accidentally TK too much just out of noobishness or sheer stupidity. So in that way, i can see why it's easier just to blanket bomb all the TKers you see and say "To hell with them".

I've had a look at your ban list and it is quite extensive. I'm assuming that not many of the people on that list have bothered to seek an appeal of the ban so i'm hoping you'll see that in my favour as an partial indication of how much i want to be able to play on the servers again.

It's true, you have no guarantee that i won't do it again, nor do you have any guarantee that any other player won't start to get a taste for TKing and go on a murderous rampage. All i have to offer you on that point is my stats as an indication of my general behaviour and my word that i won't do it again. Consider me chastised. Or put me on some probation as was suggested ^^ and consider me chastised after that.

In the past you yourself have played with me on several occasions Edit, i've done things you've asked me to do to the best of my ability. Physkills vs 303s, physkilling more often in general since stabbing has become a little to easy etc...
I'm trying to comply as much as possible here. If you, who would know me better than any of the other admins (even thought that's not much i admit), are votin 'no' for an unban, i find that a little disheartening seeing as how i've not given you cause in the past to have any sort of bleak view of me.

-SM-SUCKER
8th February 2007, 22:47
As another admin of Smokeys servers I might add that I never had a bad experience with Leadmagnet. But the rules are there for a good reason. Do not retaliate, record a demo instead. You should have known better.

LeadMagnet
9th February 2007, 00:06
As another admin of Smokeys servers I might add that I never had a bad experience with Leadmagnet. But the rules are there for a good reason. Do not retaliate, record a demo instead. You should have known better.

Yes, i know they are. I'm not knocking anyone for enforcing them. Sure, it's easy to say i should know better, but mistakes are made sometimes. I'm only human. I'm just asking for a second chance to play on the server, not anybody's firstborn child.

*edit* any more admin opinions on this please? Preferably somebody with the power and/or inclination to help me out? (i'll give you secks)

ComeToJesus
9th February 2007, 17:21
wow this thread is disgusting (not on your part leadmagnet).
You're being treated as if you really did slaughter someone's firstborn.
I think that the one's who have power to forgive you in this thread are more bent on fluffing their own egos by seeing someone continuously beg and plead to them, than they are about enforcing some rule. Get off your power trips people, seriously. You're admins of a little game server, not in charge of national defense. The guy had one bad episode dealing with some idiot. You're all acting as if you're perfect human beings who've never done anything wrong.
Oh no, but what if we forgive him, and he does it again? Ohh nooo indeed. I guess the server will go down in flames? Get real. You disgust me. I'll go out of my way to never enter your server after seeing the kind of persons that are in charge.

edit°
9th February 2007, 17:50
You're disgusted by something that amounts to yes and no answers on a game forum? :p It obviously means more to you than anyone else here. Whilst I wouldn't say perfect human beings I know that all of our admin staff can state with absolute clarity and truth that we've not teamkilled in hidden deliberately ever. Its part of the job description oddly enough :rolleyes: Hes being treated as though he broke the rules... nothing more. I don't see what undue hate or agg is being directed at leadmagnet, no one has said anything against him.

As for power-tripping... Do people even think like this anymore?? :eek: Obviously we have 'dominion' over some servers in a HL2 mod, its hardly power is it? All we've done in this thread is repeat what you HAVE TO click OK on just to enter the server, not cajole anyone into massaging our e-Cocks.

If you're not going to bother joining the servers because we've got some of the cleanest (I'd go as far as saying THE cleanest in europe) servers in hidden thanks to us guys running it then really, whos the bigger fool :rolleyes:

So basically - gtfo the soap box until you've been around for a bit and had experience of us. :rolleyes: I'm amazed at the level of intellect presented in these threads sometimes. Someone admits freely to breaking the rules and then some fucking random who it has nothing to do with starts telling us how we should admin... Theres a reason the servers are as good as they are and its nothing to do with unbanning people for TKing.

ComeToJesus
9th February 2007, 18:11
blah blah blah blah

Your entire post reeks of pseudo-intellectuality and pseudo-superiority.

"You're disgusted by something that amounts to yes and no answers on a game forum? It obviously means more to you than anyone else here."

Oh braaa-vo. Well done. You really put me in my place with that one.
Implying that someone is upset over something on the internet. And I thought people didn't think like THIS anymore. :eek:

Congratulations on having a "clean" server. Obviously it comes at a price of common sense, possible interesting player personalities and leadership personality. Why not just have a script admin your servers? I reckon people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Not having been around for long, and not having anything to do with this allows me to objectively see this for as ridiculous as it is.
This was actually more about your idiotic excuse for not allowing him back being that he "broke the rules". Why not just go out and say, "Nah, I'm not letting you back because I just don't want to." instead of hiding behind the rule excuse? He's obviously not a TKer, and just - as I said before - had a bad night/episode.

As a fucking regular here, I'm sure you'll get all the backing you need and more. I didn't come here to win an argument. Just to point out that you're a tool. Something you may have lost track of while having your ass kissed by people who just want to play in the "cleanest server in europe".

Dead Inside
9th February 2007, 18:43
This is getting quite silly now.

We pay for the server, we will admin it how we choose, if you don't like it, we don't care. Don't play on it. We won't lose any sleep over it, honest.

The server is rented for other reasons, we just run the game servers because we like to game. We don't however want to play on a server thats full of idiots all the time so we have mods, admins and rules in place to ensure its kept as free of idiots as possible.

We've run these servers for well over a year now, go take a look on hidden stats and see just part of the traffic we've had during that time. If you think its easy managing multiple servers with very few admins then you are very much mistaken. The fact that we aren't a server rental company/large gaming community etc means we don't have the time to be any more lenient with people. This is the way things have been with us from the start and its the way its going to stay.

Since Leadmagnet has been playing on our servers for some time now, he simply should have known better. He's been around long enough to know exactly how strict we are about things like this.

I will be checking the logs later and will reply to him privately as i suspect this thread is only going to get worse.

edit°
9th February 2007, 18:56
blah blah blah blah

Your entire post reeks of pseudo-intellectuality and pseudo-superiority.

"You're disgusted by something that amounts to yes and no answers on a game forum? It obviously means more to you than anyone else here."

Oh braaa-vo. Well done. You really put me in my place with that one.
Implying that someone is upset over something on the internet. And I thought people didn't think like THIS anymore. :eek:

Congratulations on having a "clean" server. Obviously it comes at a price of common sense, possible interesting player personalities and leadership personality. Why not just have a script admin your servers? I reckon people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Not having been around for long, and not having anything to do with this allows me to objectively see this for as ridiculous as it is.
This was actually more about your idiotic excuse for not allowing him back being that he "broke the rules". Why not just go out and say, "Nah, I'm not letting you back because I just don't want to." instead of hiding behind the rule excuse? He's obviously not a TKer, and just - as I said before - had a bad night/episode.

As a fucking regular here, I'm sure you'll get all the backing you need and more. I didn't come here to win an argument. Just to point out that you're a tool. Something you may have lost track of while having your ass kissed by people who just want to play in the "cleanest server in europe".

Point out where my arse has been kissed. :rolleyes: I don't need an excuse for not letting him back (Especially when I can't remember, though its probable, if it was me that banned him) - news flash, I'm an admin and he broke the rules. I also fail to see how having a vocabulary and power of logic more extensive than the average wanker's is pseudo anything. If we let one back, we have very little cause for not letting all the revenge "I'll be good from now on" tkers back and since none of the admin staff have seen much of LeadMagnet, how is he any different to us from the others? Do some reading and you'll see that this debate has been done to death. I did put you in your place, and thats probably why all you've done is come back and try it on with personal insults. Logic > you.

Enjoy the aneurism you'll probably have over this post as well. :D

ComeToJesus
9th February 2007, 19:26
lol

I was actually contemplating pointing out YOUR somewhat subtle personal insults to me in my last post, but I decided not to, because you gave me more than enough real material to work with. And now you accuse me of it? I guess you ran out of stuff to say. Yeah I said you're a tool. That's because you are. Anyway...
Your last reply is just a steaming heap of god knows what. I feel a little ill even dignifying it with this reply. I'm surprised you didn't throw in a "kthxbai" in the end. It would've suited it.

Dead Inside, I 'm not telling you how you should run your server. Just commenting on your tunnel-vision rules.

Daedalus
9th February 2007, 19:30
This thread has degenerated into faggotry quite fast. :rolleyes:

Zabiela
9th February 2007, 20:21
Although I agree with CTJ on the issue, you were harsher than you needed to be in that first post, edit didnt help much either. Enjoy your quarrel.

Technicality
9th February 2007, 20:59
This thread has degenerated into faggotry quite fast. :rolleyes:

wonder when the TK-ing starts :rolleyes:

Anthon
9th February 2007, 21:09
To those of the "oh its only a game its not like he raped someones granny" mindset:
IMO it is precisely for that reason that we are able to enforce our rules so "harshly" with a clear conscience. At the end of the day all we have deprived the banned player of is the right to play on our server.

There are only a small number of us running smokeys, and we all have rather busy lives outside of hidden. We simply don't have time to convene court and put people on probation or what have you everytime someone breaks the rules and wishes they hadn't.
The rules are as harsh as they are because experience has shown us that thats the only way to keep a clean server, without having much larger numbers of admins...which in itself throws up a whole host of problems.

Call Amnesty International if you must, but remember, its not like they've been locked up for killing somebodys firstborn...

The rule in this case is a simple one: Deliberately TK on Smokeys and you get banned, permanently. Leadmagnet has definitely been around long enough to know that.

"Revenge" TKing is no excuse....in all cases it merely exasperates the problem, hence we are just as harsh on it.

Having stated my opinion I will not be replying to this thread again. Goodnight:)

LeadMagnet
9th February 2007, 21:39
Since Leadmagnet has been playing on our servers for some time now, he simply should have known better. He's been around long enough to know exactly how strict we are about things like this.

Actually i've never seen any admin action taken before. Surprising as that may seem. Apart from kicking people who didn't play along with the "303 vs physkilling" games.

"Revenge" TKing is no excuse....in all cases it merely exasperates the problem, hence we are just as harsh on it.

It wasn't a revenge TK, it was a self-defense TK. A guy's shooting at you and didn't kill you with the first barage, what would you do? If i was an admin, sure i'd ban him and afaik, that guy did NOT get banned that night because he didn't successfully manage to TK me.

We pay for the server, we will admin it how we choose, if you don't like it, we don't care. Don't play on it.
Right, which is why i'm asking for an appeal of this, because IF you choose, you could unban me and i'm hoping my reason behind that will be seen and given some consideration. Cause you see, i DO like the server and i DO want to play on it.

I wasn't intending for this to start any argument at all. That doesn't help a damn thing (as evidenced by Anthons reply. He judged this thread [and me] by the argument contained therein). Just pleading my case and hoping, that's all.

*edit* oh yeah, forgot to say 1 thing. No Edit it wasn't you who banned me, it was daedalus, and i'm not disputing his decision, just asking for leniancy.

edit°
9th February 2007, 21:41
Its all down to DI now so you'll get a PM. Don't worry.

Zabiela
9th February 2007, 21:47
Im glad Leadmagnet knows how to handle himself in a situation like this.

LeadMagnet
9th February 2007, 21:50
no worries then, i just wanted to push for that final decision. Cheers.