PDA

View Full Version : PS (ab)use and its consequences on scores

Technicality
7th February 2007, 00:33
Hi all, I am new to this forum. Ive played HS for 3 day's now and i can definetely say i'm hooked. The way it makes me feel is like the first time i played multiplayer splinter cell, only then every single round...

Because ive not played the mod for that long you might say i do not understand it enough to be making comments like these, and if well argumented, i might agree with any point you make against it.

I currently (b4a) feel that the balance is just a tiny bit off. It's not the shotgun, invisibility or its (amazing) pouncing gameplay, its the pigsticker.

As you all know the PS is a one hit killer. I am fine with that, the IRIS have the shotgun, they can see the jumping bastard and waste him just fine. Its just that... when playing in weighted servers i feel with an average skill hidden, the PS is just a too easy frag.

The way i feel a hidden should be played is using the knife an phys to slowly weaken the IRIS, make them paranoid, not knowing if they'll be next. It imo is then when the best of the ambience and gameplay emerges. People magically start working together, covering their teammates cause they know that the hidden won't just go for the easy kill. It makes them jump and spray not only at the PS sound, but at any sound.

Currently the hidden player is stimulated to not use PS too often by the feeding option (and ofcourse the playing-with-the-bodies part), but I feel it is not enough stimulation. So here's my suggestion: different type of kills get different amounts of frags. For example: a PS kill accounts for one frag. A knife kill for 2 frags, jimmeh kill 3 frags.

I think a system like this would induce a better -or should i say more scaring- playing style for the more experienced hidden, but it is still possible for newbie's to take out an entire IRIS team by PS all round.

As said, please consider my short play time so if you think the general idea is way off, please say so. :rolleyes:

And these smiley's look ugly on the hidden forum theme

ComeToJesus
7th February 2007, 00:58
There are a handful of servers out there that have it turned off or limited.
Find those and enjoy.

Technicality
7th February 2007, 01:13
There are a handful of servers out there that have it turned off or limited.
Find those and enjoy.

I dont think you completely get what i mean. I sporadically use the PS to make difficult (camper) kills and when time is scarce. Turning it off offsets the balance in favour of the iris. After all, when fighting against a large team you will have to do more kills in the same amount of time. Of course it can be done, but it is difficult and decreases your chances to become hidden again even more, besides the large amount of IRIS.

I mean that not using PS should be rewarded somehow, more than just the feeding part.

Kira Yamato
7th February 2007, 01:26
You have pipe bombs for a reason you know, and plus you can flick phys objects at campers too. If you get enough attention you can make them chase you, and you can then set up an ambush to kill them. Plus there are servers where the PS is limited by number of IRIS(same as pipe bombs) that way you're not getting "free" kills.

Pan the Goat God
7th February 2007, 02:06
PS is rather unnecessary once you graps the idea that it's cheap.

Stick to slashing only, even if PS is on, in the long run it will help you become a better hidden. Campers are not a problem, distractions/phys objects/slash by and many other tactics are simple ways to dispose of lame-o's. You just need to outhink, and outplay them.

ProgrammedToConsume
7th February 2007, 02:08
I dont think you completely get what i mean. I sporadically use the PS to make difficult (camper) kills and when time is scarce. Turning it off offsets the balance in favour of the iris.

A skilled hidden is perfectly capable of taking out a whole squad of iris with no PS or pipebombs. And I'm pretty sure the idea of scoring differently on different kills has been no'd before.

Zabiela
7th February 2007, 02:18
Well thought out for a first post, but you are beating a bloody, mutilated corpse of a horse.

Ging
7th February 2007, 02:28
PS is essentially dead in B5 anyhow, by default it won't be enabled (you'll get punt instead) and when it is enabled, you can only actually PS someone when you're down to 20 or less health.

ProgrammedToConsume
7th February 2007, 02:32
Will the punt do any damage? I can't remember that thread.

Knigh7s
7th February 2007, 03:33
As you get into the game, and grow your experiance, you will find that the more skilled hidden players only use the ps when extremely needed, even if the server has it on. the new hidden players will use the ps more often then others because they are just getting into the game, and learning the what and what not to do's. (but i cant say that for everyone, because some just use it for the hell of a kill)... but you know what i mean. honestly tho, i cant remember the last time i used the ps.

Check out my server(look below at my sig), i have a ps limiter running so it is still newb friendly but also great for the vets!

Technicality
7th February 2007, 07:49
Kira Yamato: "You have pipe bombs for a reason you know"

They are cheap kills too :rolleyes:

Pan the Goat God: "PS is rather unnecessary once you graps the idea that it's cheap."

My point exactly... :D But if you're killed by a lame PS when playing IRIS its rather frustrating...

PS is essentially dead in B5 anyhow, by default it won't be enabled (you'll get punt instead) and when it is enabled, you can only actually PS someone when you're down to 20 or less health.

Hurray, a solution the problem :D . A different, but very elegant one. I didn't have a real good reason to look forward to :D B5, but now... can't wait :rolleyes:

Paegus
7th February 2007, 10:15
"You have pipe bombs for a reason you know"

They are cheap kills too :rolleyes:
only if you blur or spam kill. a single pipebomb rarely does enough damage to kill someone even if they're standing right on it when it goes off. the blur however makes it impossible to locate the hidden so moving in for the kill right away reeks of cheap.

ill
7th February 2007, 16:07
anyway good and experienced players dont use ps because they know how it feels to get killed by a lame ps=sux:(

ProgrammedToConsume
7th February 2007, 16:18
Which is exactly what I said in the first place.

ill
7th February 2007, 16:20
:D lol:D

-SM-SUCKER
7th February 2007, 19:27
They are cheap kills too
Using cheap tactics against cheap players is what makes me laugh :D
Especially against those twarts who played this mod for years and call themselfs Ging just to make someone think they are new.
It's a good thing the PS gets (almost) removed in favour of the punt, will be a hell lot more fun then. ;)

PS.: If you seek non PS servers, Smokey's should get you a very good ping and there are some fun players on. Except edit when he is drunk...

edit°
7th February 2007, 21:05
Whats wrong with me when I'm drunk?! :eek:

Technicality
7th February 2007, 21:47
PS.: If you seek non PS servers, Smokey's should get you a very good ping and there are some fun players on. Except edit when he is drunk...

I see smokey's in my server browser, but when i join i get kicked immideatly because of "Illegal alias". Searching the forums/internets now...

edit: found it, changing it back to 220 :)

starstriker1
7th February 2007, 23:47
Yep, already been said, but many people consider PS to be a rather unfun move, and it's getting, for all intents and purposes, completely replaced with the punt in B5.

It will be glorious.

Technicality
8th February 2007, 00:07
Yep, already been said, but many people consider PS to be a rather unfun move, and it's getting, for all intents and purposes, completely replaced with the punt in B5.

It will be glorious.

I read it earlier, but forgot to ask: what in the name of the holy lord is a punt?

It was fun on smokeys server just now, playing on the 'vet' server. Good fun.

Ging
8th February 2007, 00:41
Rather than being a lethal move - the PS is a hugely powerful "shove", which throws objects and IRIS about the place (though we need to tweak the effect on IRIS - no, it's not as cool as it might sound).

Paegus
8th February 2007, 14:34
though it is rather fun on highrise or other maps with large open areas if you can get in underneath them and punt them vertically. granted the fall-damage is absurdly low sometimes but it's still fun to world_spawn people...

Euphoria
8th February 2007, 17:14
Rather than being a lethal move - the PS is a hugely powerful "shove", which throws objects and IRIS about the place (though we need to tweak the effect on IRIS - no, it's not as cool as it might sound).

Its like hearing the christmas present you were expecting has been replaced with a smaller one, less fun one...