PDA

View Full Version : Too easy....

urmom4434
3rd February 2007, 00:17
Ok, I'm sure people have posted but to me this is a huge game issue that makes game incredibly easy for some and very hard for others.

I'm talking about the visibility of "The Hidden" I have shaders on high. Although I as many other people who play have junk graphic's cards and it makes seeing him impossible. However it is still very fun to play. But other's that have very good comp's or graphics cards can easily see "the hidden" from very long distances and makes it to easy.

I thought everyone could see it equally with the same disorted view of it. However I visited a friends house and played it and noticed on his it was as if looking at a normal person. He was as plain as day. Could see people hiding in corners behind boxes in the dark.

So my suggestion would be to release mabey an option or a version that makes "The Hidden" 100% invisible. As how many people allready play it like this. It increases the chances of the hidden and makes it a more equal playing field for people with crappy computers. It doesn't really off balance anything as alot of people including myself still enjoy and do well when we cannot see The Hidden at all. It makes people rely more on the alarm's and makes people work together so as not to be killed. When people are able to see The Hidden it sorta ruin's the whole game and isn't really conciderd cheating.

However I doubt this will be enterd but as it just completely ruin's the game when some people can't see anything, and other's can see The Hidden and are pretty much gonna win every round before other's with worse comp's. So I wanted to suggest this because it would enable people with worse comp's to have the same enjoyment, at the same time evening the playing field with other people.

-SM-SUCKER
3rd February 2007, 00:38
You might confuse those people who became incredibly sensitive to the Hidden shader and those who see the Hidden as a black or other "easy to see" shape due to either exploiting or old graphics. The later will be solved in the next beta with cutting support of dx7 and lower graphic cards. Those won't see anything at all.
But the experienced players will remain and those will still be spotting you. 100% invisibility would have many drawbacks:
- no new players would stick with the mod as they would never see the Hidden
- some "funny guy" might just choose a spot and camp the entire round as Hidden just to spoil others fun
- The Hidden would be near invincible/ extremly unbalanced.

The game is pretty balanced right now, regarding the huge gap between experienced players and new ones.

starstriker1
3rd February 2007, 01:06
Its a shame that people with low specs have to play the game with a handicap, but this mod unfortunately is very demanding of your rig. With lower end cards it's still possible to use the higher level shader effects. I believe there is a sticky in the technical forum about it... it details how you might play with DX9 shaders (software emulation) and not find the game entirely unplayable.

I'll also point out that there is the unfortunate problem of cheaters. It's not too prevalent, and most server admins are very, very good at getting rid of said players, but you will occasionally see people who are spotting and tracking the hidden when they really shouldn't. You'll figure out the difference between a cheating player and someone who simply has very good eyes quickly.

Finally, rule number one of hidden: his invisibility isn't so much a way to hide as it is a way to slow marine target aquisition. If you're in a marine's field of view, assume he can see you. Also, it is usually EASIER to see a hidden at long distances than at close range, especially if he is moving.

Mr. Bottomhat
3rd February 2007, 02:28
And crouch, makes you a smaller target.

Crouch at all times.

Zabiela
3rd February 2007, 05:30
Crouch at all times.

Why are you telling your mom to crouch? What the hell, perv.

hutch
3rd February 2007, 06:46
Why are you telling your mom to crouch? What the hell, perv.

What the hell is wrong with the people around here?
:rolleyes:

Daedalus
3rd February 2007, 08:51
What the hell is wrong with the people around here?
:rolleyes:

Welcome to the internet. :p

Alt
3rd February 2007, 10:58
I suggested something similiar (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=7713) and it got thrown out. Maybe the dev could give players the option to make Hidden harder to see? Meh, I dunno :rolleyes:

Gusdor
3rd February 2007, 12:02
Its a shame that people with low specs have to play the game with a handicap, but this mod unfortunately is very demanding of your rig.
Incorrect. You just need a graphics card to support dx8+. Thats isnt hard nowadays...

urmom4434
3rd February 2007, 18:03
well i still suggest makin it optional.

I have all the textures on high even and still i see nothing at all. Even when I have The Hidden standing right in front of me strafing. Using nvidia 5200.

Some mentioned people would abuse it by camping. But you can camp now, theirs plenty of spot's to hide and camp in now and never be seen. So it wouldn't really change anything. Mabey make him a beacon if he does. Or make him able to be shown on radar if he doesnt move for like 40 sec's or somthing.

I dont see why makin a option would make people quit the game. Its not as tho the game is super popular. You might actually get more players since theirs actally a reason to play if the playing field is level.

On my friends comp I can very easily make out where the hidden is. It takes just about No skill at all to kill someone you can planly see that must use a knife an only 3 pipebombs.

People always say it takes experience. However it doesnt take any experience to play most games and even less to play The Hidden. It's a fun game, but it would actually be playable for people with crap cards.

Its still playable when hes invisble, yes. But just it gives you such a huge handicap it completely offbalances everything.

I know alot of people with the same problem and thats why they say they dont play the game. Because when you set up all your sencor's they are either destroyed by idiot teamates or a pipebomb takes em all out and leaves u to have to use sound and prop's to detect him. And talk about a blind man in a ass kicking contest :P

Well so I still suggest adding the option. Might make you get alot more people to play it which im sure everyone would enjoy.

<Beatlemania>
3rd February 2007, 18:10
if your friend can see the hidden really well, isn't it like he has a crappy computer? Maybe you haven't learned to see the hidden well enough yet. This mod takes time.

And btw, I used to have a significantly worse graphics card, and when I bought a new one just recently, I saw absolutely NO difference in my scores in killing the hidden (just as high as always :D ). Basically the only difference for me was discovery actually running smooth and a different steam effect. I could see the hidden exactly the same as before, and i have tested it, also.

Euphoria
3rd February 2007, 18:15
When its played the way its meant to be played (with the shader, not completely visible or invisible), it works. Nearly everthing else I hope will be ironed out in the next update.

Daedalus
3rd February 2007, 19:37
People always say it takes experience. However it doesnt take any experience to play most games and even less to play The Hidden. It's a fun game, but it would actually be playable for people with crap cards.

Wrong answer. Hidden is one of the most skill dependant games. Even when people try to stickwhore.

The only time it's unbalanced is when some poor guy is on the explody end of a noob's triplenade. :D

urmom4434
3rd February 2007, 21:02
Wrong answer. Hidden is one of the most skill dependant games. Even when people try to stickwhore.

The only time it's unbalanced is when some poor guy is on the explody end of a noob's triplenade. :D

As hard as clicking the mouse is, I fail to see your argument.

Paegus
3rd February 2007, 21:18
^ got a little black hidden syndrome have we?

i suppose it depends on how you define skill. physically it's not that demanding. you can get by with much less in the way of hand-eye coordination as compared to most FPS games. it's mental skills that makes the difference in what kind of tactics you employ.

Kira Yamato
3rd February 2007, 21:29
As hard as clicking the mouse is, I fail to see your argument.

Ah, yes the old point and click argument. You sound like some soccer mom who's pissed because her husband just bought the son GTA III.

The fact is the Hidden requires some skills:
Hand-Eye Coordination
Quick reaction time
Timing
Focus
Dexterity
Concentration
The ability to spot motion
The ability to coordinate what you hear with the enemy's location.
Most of these things are things that would save your life in a combat situation, and take time to master.

Tinker
3rd February 2007, 21:37
The fact is the Hidden requires some skills:
Hand-Eye Coordination
Quick reaction time
Timing
Focus
Dexterity
Concentration
The ability to spot motion
The ability to coordinate what you hear with the enemy's location.
Most of these things are things that would save your life in a combat situation, and take time to master.

Don't forget planning...if you're gonna be good at a game like this you have to plan with youre team mates and plan on what your opponent is probably going to do.

Kira Yamato
3rd February 2007, 21:38
Don't forget planning...if you're gonna be good at a game like this you have to plan with youre team mates and plan on what your opponent is probably going to do.

You really don't need to plan so much, just stick with the rest of the team, and fire where and when everyone else fires.

starstriker1
3rd February 2007, 22:47
All planning is short term... guess what the hidden is going to do in the immediate future and put yourself in the best position to beat his ass down when he does it!

Paegus
3rd February 2007, 22:52
but watch out for the you're-a-stinking-cheater chat bug that sometimes occurs when you get too good at that...