PDA

View Full Version : Visual: 303 projectile

starstriker1
2nd February 2007, 00:56
Here's a thought: how about the projectile model gets textured to have a built in blur effect?

hutch
2nd February 2007, 01:00
Here's a thought: how about the projectile model gets textured to have a built in blur effect?

Can that be done? If so, then it would be sexy as all hell.

starstriker1
2nd February 2007, 01:07
Should be pretty simple. Build 5 polygons connected in a tube shape, and apply a simple black texture to each one. Construct the texture so that it is opaque at the center and transparent at either end. To finish, put a pentagonal polygon right in the center and paint it fully opaque black, so that look at the projectile from the front or back doesn't look bad. And there you have it... a 13 triangle projectile with faked motion blur! :D

There might be other ways to build it, as well.

hutch
2nd February 2007, 01:53
Should be pretty simple. Build 5 polygons connected in a tube shape, and apply a simple black texture to each one. Construct the texture so that it is opaque at the center and transparent at either end. To finish, put a pentagonal polygon right in the center and paint it fully opaque black, so that look at the projectile from the front or back doesn't look bad. And there you have it... a 13 triangle projectile with faked motion blur! :D

There might be other ways to build it, as well.

Pretty simply? I'm crying blood from reading that.

starstriker1
2nd February 2007, 02:01
So I have difficulty describing vertices to those who can't rotate 3D objects in their heads. :P

khu
2nd February 2007, 03:07
What you're describing is just an extruded pentagon, shading from opacity to translucence along the long axis.

hutch
2nd February 2007, 03:26
So I have difficulty describing vertices to those who can't rotate 3D objects in their heads. :P

What you're describing is just an extruded pentagon, shading from opacity to translucence along the long axis.

Stop using bug words....just make it so.

Demented
2nd February 2007, 05:14
Well, I'd imagine that would look pretty gnarly to anyone with a 1600x1200 view.
You could do what they did with the Xbow bolt: Two crossed square polygons taped to the ass-end of the 303 shot, with a fade-y texture.

Of course, I suppose that would offend Star's highly optimization-tuned senses. :D

starstriker1
2nd February 2007, 05:36
There are other ways to build it, yeah. Simply a bunch of double sided, intersecting rectangular polygons would also do the trick. After all, it's moving fast, and no one will be able to examine it closely.

Phaedrus
2nd February 2007, 07:00
There are other ways to build it, yeah. Simply a bunch of double sided, intersecting rectangular polygons would also do the trick. After all, it's moving fast, and no one will be able to examine it closely.

What about screenshots?

Zabiela
2nd February 2007, 07:34
Will someone please think about the screenshots! :rolleyes:

starstriker1
2nd February 2007, 21:23
I'm sure the modellers understand! ;)

Demented
4th February 2007, 00:39
Or we could just wait for Valve to buff up the codebase with motion blur. =P

starstriker1
4th February 2007, 00:54
Valve's motion blur is a post processing effect (with individual frame times taking, like, 2 seconds). So no.

Paegus
4th February 2007, 01:05
isn't it just temporal anti-aliasing?

Demented
4th February 2007, 01:50
I meant the motion blur they seem to have planned in those DX10 games. Not that frame retention gimmick that the codebase already has.

Ging
4th February 2007, 19:01
Not that frame retention gimmick that the codebase already has.

Hah, I laugh.