PDA

View Full Version : Server Script: Super Pounce

Phaedrus
1st February 2007, 22:22
Delete this thread.

Paegus
1st February 2007, 22:55
i thought the idea behind the it was that you ditch the knife and just get more stamina that regens quicker in exchange? not to sure about perma-cling...

the impact damage is just a product of angular-come-linear momentum, object mass and impact damage type (sharp, blunt, etc) isn't it?

Paegus
1st February 2007, 23:33
-can you detect a when someone fires specifically while holding a prop?
-can you mess with a prop entity's mass parameter at will?

because say the instant after the hidden picks something up you boost its mass so a barrel that normally weighs in at 35 now weighs 53 or 70 or whatever. when he fires (throws) it i doubt the source engine is smart enough respect conservation of momentum that realistically so it'll effectively simulate this power throw...

i also doubt the hidden's carry limit checks the object more than once when he initially tries to pick it up as most props don't change mass. if it does check (which is an utter waste of cpu cycles tbh) then he'd drop the prop and you'd need to do the mass boosting the instant after it's thrown (fired). again sloppy conservation of momentum will probably leave it moving at its pre-boosted mass' velocity...

-SM-SUCKER
1st February 2007, 23:52
I'm not sure but is it possible that Daedalus wanted to have script that removes all weapons? This way the Hidden would have to use physics to hunt his enemies. With (near) unlimited stamina in return this could be fun. We discussed this one earlier and some people showed interest in this idea.

Daedalus
3rd February 2007, 07:59
Wow, this sounds awesome!

Now I just need to persuade someone to create a server with this script! :D

Tsukasa1105
7th February 2007, 18:19
Nice script.

Now if you could integrate it with a server side script that merged hidden with a natural selection way of evolving (for iris too) and make it balanced, then id be really impressed.

Daedalus
7th February 2007, 21:18
I'm not familiar with natural selection. If you explain it in detail, I could try it.

There's a manual here: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/static/comm_manual/basic/index.htm

In NS there are 2 game modes, each with it's own evolution system. But the general idea is that in combat you kill to level up and get upgrades. There are 3 upgrade trees, each with 3 choices.

Tsukasa1105
8th February 2007, 00:19
here's another idea that's significantly easier:

tweak your existing script to have one variable: hdn_totalspeed <percent of speed>

set to 100 and its normal physics. 120 is 120% speed, meaning iris walk speed (forward and back) hidden walk speed, hidden pounce speed (and perhaps hidden stamina regen) is increased by 120% speed. etc. This would make the game play faster (it's a tad slow right now imo)

Zabiela
8th February 2007, 00:23
(it's a tad slow right now imo)

Thats what I like about it. Id like to see deathmatch with iris, with emphasis on using cover.

It would be weird.

Ging
8th February 2007, 00:45
(it's a tad slow right now imo)

It's meant to be slow!

Damn these scripts and their screwing with the game balance... *emo sigh*

Knigh7s
8th February 2007, 01:18
It's meant to be slow!

LoL, just think how the dev team of CS feels?!?! haha

Ging
8th February 2007, 01:24
LoL, just think how the dev team of CS feels?!?! haha

I can't begin to imagine the anguish that some of the scripts that are used on that must cause them! :D

Tsukasa1105
8th February 2007, 02:15
It's meant to be slow!

It's a good speed for most people (espec. new players) but i think once you get used to seeing hidden it can be increased

hutch
8th February 2007, 02:19
It's meant to be slow!

I can only imagine how you feel with people fucking up your time and effort lazly changing it into their own dream and less and less of yours.
Can't you royally fuck up scripts in the next version?
:D

Zabiela
8th February 2007, 02:40
I see it more as building on their time and effort rather than fucking it up.

Ging
8th February 2007, 02:49
I see it more as building on their time and effort rather than fucking it up.

Sometimes, it's an improvement (PS Rage for example) - but a lot of the recent scripts have, in my opinion, screwed up the balance (the biggest offender is the modified weighting system).

We spend a fair amount of time getting the balance of the various aspects of game play 'right' and to see that get abused or bent out of shape does frustrate. But I'm also aware that there's not a lot I can do other than avoid the servers that run these scripts (I've had a quick bash on knights, but couldn't get on with the MWS).

Zabiela
8th February 2007, 03:57
Sometimes, it's an improvement (PS Rage for example) - but a lot of the recent scripts have, in my opinion, screwed up the balance (the biggest offender is the modified weighting system).

We spend a fair amount of time getting the balance of the various aspects of game play 'right' and to see that get abused or bent out of shape does frustrate. But I'm also aware that there's not a lot I can do other than avoid the servers that run these scripts (I've had a quick bash on knights, but couldn't get on with the MWS).

Well, while I agree somewhat, the good news is the scripts are heavily tweakable (you can turn off whatever you dont like), and on its own, the cutoff for highest weight works how I thought it would.
It results in less "wow i dont even remember hitting him once, yet i was chosen" and less "wow i did 98 damage, yet the guy who randomly shot once with the pistol got the prize".
Currently I dont like the hp bonus you get for having weight but not getting selected. It makes some iris require 4 hits to die, and red iris with 35 hp, which make for buffer physing targets.

Paegus
8th February 2007, 15:19
(the biggest offender is the modified weighting system).

the penalty/reward bit is a bit pointless as it'll just lead to confusion given the limited server & player supply. but the weighting carry-over is :lunar-sized-thumbsup: as far as i'm concerned...

or maybe i should just move to 'easier' servers :p

Ging
8th February 2007, 16:01
I just don't see the harm in giving control to the users.

Users are morons, who should have as little chance to break anything as possible... That's a fact that someone should scribe on my grave - as it will probably be a user that's configured something wrong that get's me killed...

Paegus
8th February 2007, 16:54
while things are small and only enthusiasts waste their time with it then perhaps yes. but if you take a quick glance at the average CS/CS:S server you'll see that the majority of users aren't that interested in the nitty gritty. they don't want to mess with settings to explore what does what and how it does it or how it effects the game. they just want to have 16000$ every round and get headshots all the time while teleporting to all those hard to get to spots that are well behind a clip brush.

but try to understand where he's coming from. you're trampling on his dream and all that. there's not much he can do to stop you but just be aware of it.

that said Ging, no body's perfect so there's a fair chance that mis-configured thing that kills you may well have been mis-configured, let along built, by you in the first place.

Ging
8th February 2007, 17:31
that said Ging, no body's perfect so there's a fair chance that mis-configured thing that kills you may well have been mis-configured, let along built, by you in the first place.

Nothing I build is mis-configured... honest...

Tsukasa1105
8th February 2007, 18:09
Ging rather then being upset at people modding your mod its more of a compliment. If no one played regularly there would be no mods at all.

The only time it should become a concern is when theres too many servers modifying the base gameplay, which is what destroyed tfc (too many mods, each class had like 4 extra abilities, it was balanced but it was just too much)

Ging
8th February 2007, 18:47
Ging rather then being upset at people modding your mod its more of a compliment.

My only issue with mods is that they tend to break the balance we've spent 2 1/2 years establishing...

Tsukasa1105
8th February 2007, 21:16
My only issue with mods is that they tend to break the balance we've spent 2 1/2 years establishing...

Well, that's a given with mods. If they're horribly unbalanced though, no one will use them, it's like natural selection...

It's kindof ironic though, hl2 comes out and half of the people that buy it just use it for the mods, then a mod comes out and people start modding the mod. It's like a gigantic game of telephone.

Phaedrus do you think that command I suggested earlier to speed up gameplay is viable? I tried messing with the console sv's but I can't find one for forward walk speed (only backwards), otherwise i'd do it myself with your super pounce script... I'd like to implement it in my server so I can mess around with it.

Tsukasa1105
8th February 2007, 23:21
Increasing the walk speed of iris and hidden is good. sv_backspeed takes care of the backwards walk speed and the pounce script I can use to modify the hiddens speed by the same percentage. Is there any cheap way of applying the speed increase to all players? (on map change or on join or something...)

I'm not quite sure how I can be more specific for you... it should just increase walk speed by a percentage (like what sv_stepsize or whatever that command looks like it should do but doesnt).

You can just friends me on Steam if you need more info, search for my forum name at gmail dot com

Cyborg
16th February 2007, 07:05
Well, that's a given with mods. If they're horribly unbalanced though, no one will use them, it's like natural selection...

It's kindof ironic though, hl2 comes out and half of the people that buy it just use it for the mods, then a mod comes out and people start modding the mod. It's like a gigantic game of telephone.

Phaedrus do you think that command I suggested earlier to speed up gameplay is viable? I tried messing with the console sv's but I can't find one for forward walk speed (only backwards), otherwise i'd do it myself with your super pounce script... I'd like to implement it in my server so I can mess around with it.

ah yes... the reason behind the raving success of gmod. :)

blackhawk
13th March 2007, 04:02
i thought the idea behind the it was that you ditch the knife and just get more stamina that regens quicker in exchange? not to sure about perma-cling...

the impact damage is just a product of angular-come-linear momentum, object mass and impact damage type (sharp, blunt, etc) isn't it?

how do you drop the knife??

ThunderDan
13th March 2007, 04:09
You type in a special command just for this addon.

blackhawk
13th March 2007, 23:53
oh ok..i was confused cause i thought you could like drop it and pick it up during "regular" game play

Cheesey
15th March 2007, 19:02
The idea behind the script is nice! I also waited for a script/option where you can turn off the knife (and maybe also the big guns, except the 303). But I think this script gives a bit too much options.

I've played on a server recently, which obviously had this script, cause I started as hidden (hdn_castle4) and could pounce across the whole map!!! I was stupid fast and had no knife. Let it get into your head, it was hdn_castle4... with no knife... (there are no props!!!)

All I could do was running around like mad and terrorise the IRIS with my voice. I was too fast to get even noticed, till a luckshot with the Shotgun killed me ;)

The admin tried to get the knife back, but he failed. And if this IRIS with the shotgun wouldnt have had shot like mad + luck it would be rather impossible to kill 617, cause he is so darn fast... even for pro gamer I think...