PDA

View Full Version : Totally...?

Alt
1st February 2007, 20:08
I was playing Hidden today (as usual) and thought, you know what would make this game more interesting? The Hidden actually being capable of hiding! Yeah... So my suggestion is simply this. Make the Hidden capable of being totally invisible!

I think this would work if the Hidden, whilst in his totally invisible stance couldn't move, slash or nade (and, perhaps it costs him stamina?). It would make the game a hell of a lot more interesting I feel because, now, I can see the Hidden anywhere. If he can see me (excluding aura) I will be able to see him (eventually). I know not everyone can say that, but, I think it would make the game a little more interesting for both IRIS and Hidden.

It would be pretty cool if the Hidden could go round a corner and simply disappear. I also think this would be a major plus for those lazy Hidden's who can't be bothered (or have been playing for nearly 2 years) to pounce/slash a crowd of IRIS whilst trying to maintain his health. I think this would introduce a whole new concept to the game. More strategic, more interesting, and, a lot more frightening. I hope you guys will consider this. Throw me some feedback! :D

Euphoria
1st February 2007, 20:12
There are times when as hidden low on stamina and surrounded by trigger happy spray n pray iris when I really wish I could go unnoticed until they think I've gone off elsewhere, instead of being forced to attack on low stamina and coming out with enough holes in me to rival Swiss cheese....

Daedalus
1st February 2007, 20:14
You know that's a good idea!

It even fits the story somehow. Say the hidden concentrates hard enough to perfectly blend in with the surroundings.

Me likey, want to hear what the devs think about this.

benny015
1st February 2007, 20:15
pretty dam good idea actually. cause whenver im scoutin the area with aura its SO IRRITATING being shot by someone whos just come round a corner and blam ur dead. would also make it fun. also id love the idea of a chainsaw bein introduced. if not in hidden then at least in SOME steam game cause it would just be hilarious:D

Zabiela
1st February 2007, 20:47
I think this could be implemented, and not disrupt the balance all that much. It would make the game much more tense if tweaked right. The main question is can the devs make the shader dissapear in a nice manner (saw it in dys, i think its possible).

Boxy
1st February 2007, 20:50
I've always thought that if the Hidden player stayed completely still that the refract shader should fade to complete invisibilty (like Dystopia, for my sins). As you say a lot of players can spot a Hidden now regardless of whether hes moving or not and this would help to counteract that. All the Playerspeed proxies dont seem to work when I chucked them into the vmt. It's almost as if the proxy was written with nothing but a mere stub.

Lets look toward the coders and community in general for a consensus of what we think. I'd like this idea to take shape in some form. Put forward your arguments for and against people.

legoman
1st February 2007, 21:03
I also think it's a good idea, but how would this be carried out? Would 617 have to be standing in a shadow or holding a button that uses up stamina? There has to be some sort of way of executing this ability in a way that makes sense and that is also fair to the opposing team.

I think holding a button would be a good way to do it. The ability would take a bit of time to perform, like 3 seconds or something, I dunno.

Alt
1st February 2007, 21:06
Perhaps in 'concentrating', he makes the pre-pigstick noise and vanishes.

starstriker1
1st February 2007, 21:27
I really wouldn't like that. Spotting a stationary hidden is a challenge, but if it became impossible life could get very irritating very fast. The hidden should not be able to hide in plain sight... his partial invisibility is and has always been an aid to increase the time the IRIS's eyes and brains need to make a positive identification, and his stealth has always been because he stays out of the IRIS's field of view and because he uses speed to get to places no one expects him to be.

Honestly, he gets enough of a stealth bonus from standing still as it is, just so long as he chooses a decent place to do so.

benny015
1st February 2007, 21:29
yea. he makes a groan then vanishes, altho having a 3 second delay may make it pointless because you're only really going to use it when you're ankle deep in it and need to just leave it behind fr a minute

Isolation
1st February 2007, 21:29
I'm with Star on this one. Aside form the fact that absolute invisibility is a tad unrealistic, I just got this feeling it'd not be as good in practice as it sounds.

benny015
1st February 2007, 21:39
well given practice most anything is possible and would be usefull in close quarters situations, like in a narrow hallway and theyres like 5 IRIS knickin ur ass with lead. just moan and groan and leave em searchin. could take the moan from the zombies on zm_ maps on css:rolleyes:

edit°
1st February 2007, 21:46
I really wouldn't like that. Spotting a stationary hidden is a challenge, but if it became impossible life could get very irritating very fast. The hidden should not be able to hide in plain sight... his partial invisibility is and has always been an aid to increase the time the IRIS's eyes and brains need to make a positive identification, and his stealth has always been because he stays out of the IRIS's field of view and because he uses speed to get to places no one expects him to be.

Honestly, he gets enough of a stealth bonus from standing still as it is, just so long as he chooses a decent place to do so.

We are in agreement. I think this idea would just make the hidden piss-takingly easy to play as and no fun for a lot of the players. Maybe as an option but I think you're fast getting into "why shouldnt we have this as an option too?!" territory.

benny015
1st February 2007, 21:51
:eek: thought just ran into my head, maybe on servers they could choose between PS or pure invisibility, or even just ingame, and as usual just make it removable like FF and PS:cool:

Paegus
1st February 2007, 22:29
storywise if you simply must add this then be mean about it and incorperate it directly into the aura view. since he's supposedly got no control over his invisibility (hence the project failed) then just have it so when using aura he turns completely invisible as well as some unforseen side-effect of focusing. that way it saves the extra key to bind and he can't use it too much as it's stamina based. might want to tweak aura to integrate it fully so that you can't pan and yaw with aura on either... which would be interesting to see that since you'd have to drop and restart aura to turn your head.

in general though i'm with star, iso and edit on the whole thing...

starstriker1
1st February 2007, 22:29
Lets try to keep gameplay consistent between servers... at least b5 is taking a step in the right directions with the pigstick overhaul! Sure, the ps on/off option still remains, but all that decides is whether or not pigstick turns on once hidden health is 20 hp or lower. For 95% of the time, players will still be using punt even on PS on servers...

Ging
1st February 2007, 22:33
:eek: thought just ran into my head, maybe on servers they could choose between PS or pure invisibility, or even just ingame, and as usual just make it removable like FF and PS:cool:

No - to everything about allowing complete invisibility in any form, except for DX7 users.

edit°
2nd February 2007, 16:31
I'd rather have him completely visible anyway :p ah well...