PDA

View Full Version : Some musings

KaiserPanda
25th January 2007, 09:15
Played The Hidden again , still a great game. :) My own thoughts on making it beter:

* Maybe ditch the knife. What is an amped-up mutant doing with a knife? After playing FarCry Evolution (that's the Xbox version), I think beating someone to a pulp or tearing them apart with bare hands is much cooler than poking at people with that little thing.

* Pigsticking isn't scary. It looks goofy to see someone burst in to chunks, and you realy just feel robbed when it happens to you. Don't hear anything, BLARG, stupid looking death. If the Hidden had a more frightening way of killing, it'd be satisfying. :)
Possible alternatives:
* A move to stun or disorient IRIS members.
* A gruesom killstroke. SMOD-level gore.:D
* A disarming move. I like this one the best. Knock their weapon across the room - less threatening to the Hidden, and it would terrify the player. It also gives the hidden a chance to toy with the player, adding to the fear.:D
* Way too complicated, but a Dark Messiah style knockdown would be cool. Then you could use a live IRIS member as a human shield, or drag them off in to the rafters. Yes, way too complicated. :)

* The Hidden taunts don't always work. I think they need to be louder, too.

* Another complicated idea: reward Hidden theatrics. The best games of the Hidden I was in on, the Hidden went out of his way to mindfuck people. It was terrifying. Some kind of adrenaline reward that goes up if players are shooting and not hitting might be good for that.

That's all I can think of, right now. Thanks again, and I hope U5 is coming soon.:)

crans
25th January 2007, 09:33
Uh-oh. You know that feeling in the air you feel before a storm? I'm gettin it now...

ill
25th January 2007, 09:57
yeah wait untill ging posts you probably pissed him off
but some good ideas

Paegus
25th January 2007, 10:51
* Maybe ditch the knife. What is an amped-up mutant doing with a knife? After playing FarCry Evolution (that's the Xbox version), I think beating someone to a pulp or tearing them apart with bare hands is much cooler than poking at people with that little thing.
phys kills can accomplish just this.

* A move to stun or disorient IRIS members.
in the works... not so much on the stun part but being thrown half-way across the map is pretty disorienting imo[/quote]

* A gruesom killstroke. SMOD-level gore.:D
it's supposed to be pretty gory but something is wrong with the blood decal if i recall correctly.

* A disarming move.
presumably the guy can go back and pick up his gun? if so then all dropped weapons would be retrievable... so where's the DROP button because my f2k is out of ammo and that's a right tasty looking p90 on the ground there

* The Hidden taunts don't always work. I think they need to be louder, too.
actually they do. but you need to be close and it depends on the player you use them on. your average iris will hear them but not know where it comes from. a large number of players seem to play without sound so they wont even hear it. a half decent player will shoot in your general direction when use them.

* Another complicated idea: reward Hidden theatrics.
while i would like some kind of reward for being well... less than transparent :eek: about my actions as hidden having it based on gunfire is a bit ambiguous. what if they're shooting at me but missing? what if they're shooting crates? if they're not shooting near me then how does it have anything to do with my antics?

ill
25th January 2007, 12:57
i would like 3,4,5,6 to be in b5 that would be so cool:D

Isolation
25th January 2007, 19:40
I just know Ging will have issues with the "amped up mutant" quote...

FYI: A mutant 617 ain't. He's still human, merely "modified".

Paegus
25th January 2007, 20:27
aka mutated... ?

Isolation
25th January 2007, 20:40
"Mutant" usually refers to something grossly changed (like, growing horns and a tail), or being a regular ol' turtle and becoming a man-sized ninja reptile. 617 is still a human, still has human features, just "enhanced".

MiasmicAnomie
25th January 2007, 21:04
Mutants are any living creature with a mutation. Mutations are natural. 617 is intentionally modified.

In fiction, grossly changed is common, but not requisite - and for proof of that I give you Professor Charles Francis Xavier.

Isolation
25th January 2007, 21:07
Most of the X-Men are not physically altered. Few exceptions, such as Beast and the Morlocks, but on the whole, most Marvel mutants look "normal" (as mutation takes place on an internal/can only be explained by magic kinda way).

But, as you mentioned, they are all genetic and natural. 617 is not.

(I was of course using "mutant" in the super-fictional way, ie, 'Mutant League Football'... if you remember those games.)

MiasmicAnomie
25th January 2007, 21:15
Mutant League Football was, imho, the best football video game there was, ever. :)

(note that I'm not all that in to football)

Isolation
25th January 2007, 21:21
Yes it was. I remember discovering a glitch that let you use a nasty audible over and over. It made playing the game interesting when you won because you killed the whole opposing team... it was the all Troll team. With that glitch, I could kill even the Galaxy Aces.

Phaedrus
25th January 2007, 21:24
I played that game until I could goose egg the Galaxy Aces with the Sixty Whiners. Ton's of fun.

Pan the Goat God
25th January 2007, 22:30
Oh Coach Bricka, I miss having you yell at me in your fake made up language..

le'sigh.

<Beatlemania>
25th January 2007, 22:32
i wish the iris had a gruesome death, like his arm falling off and bleeding to death instead of pigstick. but the whole point of pigstick is a instant kill, and no feeding on the dead iris

crans
25th January 2007, 22:53
Talking about blood and such, the only part of 'gore' to be added which I would enjoy would be blood. I mean when you pigstick em the just fall apart, its like they're made outta hay :D But other than that, no complaints!