PDA

View Full Version : Direction Indicator

<Beatlemania>
24th January 2007, 06:04
I was thinking earlier today, while I was kind of mad when Mounce was slaughtering me as a hidden. (1v1 of course :p ) I had my headphones on and he kept jumping behind me and slashing me in the back, which was weird. I couldn't tell where he was hitting me from.

Anyways, besides that, my point is that i wish there was a damage indicator as to which direction you got hit. After all, when someone shanks my in the calf, i'm pretty positive he came up from behind, in real life. It could be pretty basic, just the 'my eyeball is bleeding!' effect thats already in there, just in the top, left, right, or bottom corner, to show where it came from.

of course it's not gonna save you from an expert hidden, but it would be a bit more realistic.

any thoughts?

khu
24th January 2007, 09:20
Not a bad idea. Could really make a difference for newer players, especially, without being any sort of dead giveaway.

edit°
24th January 2007, 09:58
It might make a difference for the newer players but with the lagboxes it might also make a rediculous difference for all the rest of us. If you can't see him then you know hes not attacked you from the front so you've got 3 guesses left, depending on the area you're in those can often be narrowed down to two (if not one) and depending on the player/last known sighting of hidden you're going to be aiming in the right direction.

Thats for someone playing WITHOUT sound.

If the lagbox problem didn't exist I might be tempted to agree on the idea but I can't see it bringing anything but whine since we've not used it till now.

starstriker1
24th January 2007, 22:12
It would be a nice addition for the marines... but it might make playing as the hidden even tougher, since you'd have to be even FASTER at getting out after making a hit.

Perhaps to accompany this a very small delay between getting hit and being able to fire again (or just sending the view wildly off, ala Doom 3)? That'd help deal with lagbox issues in general.

<Beatlemania>
24th January 2007, 22:16
yes, hitbox is a legitimate issue with this. if only the modders could do something to fix it, thought its probably just the presence of lag on a server.

adding on to my idea, it would only be a half a second mark or less, so if you miss it you aren't twirling around with it messing up on you. it would be another thing to train your eyes for, as well as helping newbies out a little bit, as in the ones who forget to look behind them.

crans
24th January 2007, 22:59
It would be a nice addition for the marines... but it might make playing as the hidden even tougher...

I reckon it'd be easier, 'Pounce, slash, *IRIS turns around*, pounce behind him again, slash, *IRIS turns around*, pounce behind him if you haven't already, slash, dead.

Well that's against noobs anyway...

Daedalus
25th January 2007, 13:28
Perhaps to accompany this a very small delay between getting hit and being able to fire again (or just sending the view wildly off, ala Doom 3)? That'd help deal with lagbox issues in general.

Nah, but that would be a nice effect to add to the shove.

After all, getting shoved hard IRL is disorientating when you're not expecting it, the hidden should at least be able to budge the marine's view a little bit with his super strength and all. :D

starstriker1
25th January 2007, 15:43
Getting cut open is kinda disorienting too. :P

I think it'd be a nice effect in general... getting hit in Doom 3 was a bit panic inducing. :)

Mounce
28th January 2007, 05:58
auh, thanks for the compliment, you're a badass hidden too though ;) to me as far as people I know, that Guy from Knigh7s, You, Mav, and most likely the creators of the game whom I'm not sure if i've played yet, are all badass at this game, everyone else I just forgot from my Selective memory.....

But indeed, Damage indicators would be nice, however, for unknown reasons, I can somewhat tell from which direction I am getting sliced at, are your headphones surround sound? or would it not matter?

Zabiela
28th January 2007, 09:58
are your headphones surround sound? or would it not matter?

Yes, and yes it does! You definately have a slick knife mounce! :D