PDA

View Full Version : PC Problems

Isolation
15th January 2007, 22:31
So, I'm using my Dad's PC right now because mine died. Really, really died. And, I'm still not sure what happened. Here's the deal:

My PC was working fine, but then the table it was on was moved. The surge protector was pulled about 80% out of the wall, but the machine was still getting power. Someone tried to turn the machine on, but all that happens is my fans spinning up, nothing else. Now, it won't boot up and any external devices that are plugged in come out dead (so far, two keyboards and a mouse have died after being plugged into the machine).

This led me to believe that the mobo was irreversibly ruined somehow, but I can't take it to get checked today. Anyone here have any clue what might have happened and if it would have ruined internal components (HDs, Graphics Card, etc)?

Zabiela
15th January 2007, 22:34
Maybe it messed with the power supply.

Kira Yamato
15th January 2007, 22:35
It sounds like your wall socket is pumping out way too much power. So every thing that gets plugged in to it gets fired form some massive surge.

Isolation
15th January 2007, 23:07
Except this is the same outlet I've used for 3 years problem free, and I'm using a surge protector and I'm currently using a different machine with it. I'm leaning toward the board being fried and ruining the ports or something... I'd hate for the internal components being ruined. It'll effectively mean all my maps and other similar projects are long gone.

Zabiela
15th January 2007, 23:22
I think you messed up your power box, and its not sending the right voltage to the components. Go but a new one, you can get a cheap 20$ one.

edit: but troubleshoot and make sure you know thats the problem first.

hutch
16th January 2007, 06:07
Ok, first off, do not use a surge protector unless you have a 600 dollar pc. if you have anything invested in it use a UPS.
Secondly, sounds like a mobo or a ps problem.
Probably both.

Sil
16th January 2007, 12:02
It could very well've been the fuse that went out. Does it smell faintly burnt, the power supply unit? Really sounds like the power supply has been FUBAR.

Isolation
16th January 2007, 20:20
I've moved over components from the problem PC to a working one. RAM and GFX card are still working, so the HD should be also. We think it's a combination of the mobo/power supply, so we will be picking a new mobo/processor/power combo eventually.

hutch
16th January 2007, 20:34
I've moved over components from the problem PC to a working one. RAM and GFX card are still working, so the HD should be also. We think it's a combination of the mobo/power supply, so we will be picking a new mobo/processor/power combo eventually.

Padwan, go with the strength of AMD.
:D

Isolation
16th January 2007, 20:37
What? There are processors that are NOT AMD? Who knew...

hutch
16th January 2007, 20:47
What? There are processors that are NOT AMD? Who knew...

Yup, its called a Cyrix II

Night Raider
16th January 2007, 21:01
Don't be bashing Intel, their Core 2 Duo are the top of the line right now.

hutch
16th January 2007, 21:10
Don't be bashing Intel, their Core 2 Duo are the top of the line right now.

I'm a pc tech, Trust me, even if you want to put enough dough into a C2D system to run along side a X2 or even a FX your gonna have a unstable system.
*hugs fx-55*
Well the box anyway

Night Raider
16th January 2007, 22:38
You ain't the only one who has PC tech knowledge. Though I always prefer AMD over Intel, I recognize that the Core 2 Duo has the upper hand. No need to unstabilize the machine (I'm guessing you mean overclocking.) since it's faster than what AMD has to offer. At least, for now.

QReaper
16th January 2007, 22:46
Intel/AMD = Pepsi/Coke

:rolleyes:

Isolation
16th January 2007, 22:53
What a coincidence... I like Coke better.

crans
16th January 2007, 23:00
Is there a difference? Apart from the can?

Ging
16th January 2007, 23:33
Is there a difference? Apart from the can?

Gods man, don't say that!

Kira Yamato
16th January 2007, 23:35
Pepsi uses a formula with more bite to it. I like them both about equal but if I have to choose one it's gonna be Pepsi.

I like AMD better, but those Core 2 Duos are something else.

crans
17th January 2007, 00:14
Gods man, don't say that!

OHSHI-