PDA

View Full Version : Insect's Infestation...

QReaper
11th January 2007, 18:37
Insect's Infestation to be released on Friday, server files are out already. I personally can't wait. Ought to be a fun mod, 64 player support, huge maps, the works.

http://www.insectsinfestation.com/index.php

hutch
11th January 2007, 18:57
I'd rather have a life on Friday.
Maybe I'll check it out on Sunday.

Dr.SharK
11th January 2007, 19:10
Finally!
Next to Hidden, this might be the single greatest mod ever to be released for HL2! Hats on, Ladies and Gentleman, this is gonna be awesome, has been in developement since the day HL2 was released! :)

,-Dr.SharK

legoman
11th January 2007, 19:18
Oh man, thanks for the heads up! I was supposed to be watching out for that one every single day and I guess I forgot. I've been paying attention to it for a good couple of months already, and there it is almost out already!

Thanks.

Mayhem
11th January 2007, 19:38
Finally. :) Been waiting ages for this.

Only crap thing is that got no time on friday nor on the weekend.

Ging
11th January 2007, 20:40
I fear 64 players on large maps on Source...

I'm not excited, but I will take a look and see what it's like.

On an aside, I got to give GMod 10 a crack today - I was duly unimpressed.

hutch
11th January 2007, 20:43

Just think, you could have had 10 cheese burgers instead! But no, you had to go and spend your money on gmod!

Ging
11th January 2007, 20:52
Thankfully, I didn't have to pay to try it - the joys of having access to a steam cyber cafe license.

Daedalus
11th January 2007, 21:35

One of my friends told me about it. He isn't pleased. :D

cant play 90% of the maps, high ping, cant join server engine error thing, game crashes for no reason like when I stepped in the pond or picked up a pistol

Demented
11th January 2007, 22:43
I find it amusing that there's both a server release, and a server patch, out before the client release.

QReaper
11th January 2007, 23:08
I find it amusing that there's both a server release, and a server patch, out before the client release.
That's just intelligence gleaming through. Release the server files, then if there's a bug in the public release, patch it.

Ging
11th January 2007, 23:42
As far as I'm aware, the patch merely corrected a corrupt language file.

QReaper
11th January 2007, 23:51
Oh, and upon further snooping, apparently, Wasps got the axe.

Not only from this release, but from the entire concept.

However, they've been replaced with the "Alliance", a collaboration of Insects that combat the Ant's and the Termite's superior forces.

Demented
11th January 2007, 23:59
Given the wasps are on the logo....

As for the patch, I just found it amusing to have the game already getting patched before its release! If it weren't such a small thing, one might even consider that a good sign.

QReaper
12th January 2007, 03:44
Wasps can be included in the Alliance, Demented...

starstriker1
12th January 2007, 04:04
Well, that actually sounds like a good decision... focus on a smaller group of features. That said, they might've been even BETTER off just having the initial release have two teams of ants or something...

Demented
12th January 2007, 04:06
For some reason, I read "combat" as "combine".
(Think about the implications of that for a moment, in terms of what the Alliance would be.)

+1 Reasons I should not be involved in international diplomacy.

hutch
12th January 2007, 04:11
For some reason, I read "combat" as "combine".
(Think about the implications of that for a moment, in terms of what the Alliance would be.)

+1 Reasons I should not be involved in international diplomacy.

Because your fonts are FUBAR? :p

Demented
12th January 2007, 04:14
My fonts are perfectly fine.
It's my BRAIN that's the problem.

Damn discount deals from Radio Shack. 50% off, they said! Works like New, they said!

hutch
12th January 2007, 05:08
My fonts are perfectly fine.
It's my BRAIN that's the problem.

Damn discount deals from Radio Shack. 50% off, they said! Works like New, they said!

It was returned for a reason

GrimReaper84
12th January 2007, 07:23
Yes, Abby Normal didn't have a good brain.

QReaper
12th January 2007, 16:06
It's released ya'll.

You're going to want a big ass server though, as the maps are absolutely MASSIVE.

Ging
12th January 2007, 18:37
Gave it a quick bash earlier - but basically failed at life due to not knowing what the fuck was going on.

QReaper
12th January 2007, 18:41
I played it a little. It's rather enjoyable. Sort of like Natural Selection but not.

Dr.SharK
12th January 2007, 18:51
I played it for a bit, it definately has potential. ATM though, it's too bugged and, well, 'unfinished' to be enjoyable, however: I expect great things from this mod :)

EDIT: The menu music is freaking fantastic too.

,-Dr.SharK

Dark Soul
12th January 2007, 21:18
Yey,i can't wait to play it (downloading now).I just wish they could have added wasps,they are by far my favorite from the 3 species.

QReaper
12th January 2007, 21:24
EDIT: The menu music is freaking fantastic too.

I second that.

LamerFlamer
12th January 2007, 22:09
I tried to play this thing, but there was a leak in the map Dom_Deadcow, it bogged down my whole system (which isn't low end, it's between mid and high end) Had to reboot my computer to get it to work. Stupid memory leaks. >.> Haven't tried playing since then.

Zabiela
12th January 2007, 22:12
I just tried playing, but the lowest ping server keeps kicking me for high ping :o

I got to buzz around the queen for 10 seconds though, everything looks so nice and smooth.

Daedalus
13th January 2007, 09:29
I hate insects. Arachnophobia ftw. :o

But the game sounds interesting.

Kira Yamato
13th January 2007, 09:49
I'm still sulking because they canned my favorite species...

Sil
13th January 2007, 10:08

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=12194

Ging
13th January 2007, 12:40
For those that can't figure out what Sil is being a pedant about, Arachnophobia is a fear of arachnids and not insects (spiders and other arachnids have eight legs, insects have six).

A fear of insects is called "Entomophobia" or "Insectophobia".

Kira Yamato
13th January 2007, 12:47
The only kind of bug that scares me, is one thats really deadly venomous.

Alt
13th January 2007, 12:47
The game is crap. Given that its in alpha stage though, I suppose it'll become a hell of a lot better in the next year. For now, I'll stick with Hidden :D

Kira Yamato
13th January 2007, 12:49
Are there really any outstanding HL2 mods aside form The Hidden Source?

edit°
13th January 2007, 13:11
nope

Dr.SharK
13th January 2007, 13:28
Are there really any outstanding HL2 mods aside form The Hidden Source?

Yes. Yes there is. (www.blackmesasource.com)

Still though, Hidden remains the most enjoyable out there atm. Dystopia sucks, Sourceforts gets boring after a while, and Garrysmod is just... lame.

,-Dr.SharK

QReaper
13th January 2007, 18:18

Insects and Arachnids are not the same...:rolleyes:

Kira Yamato
13th January 2007, 19:00

Yeah, Ging already pointed this out...:cool:

QReaper
13th January 2007, 20:21
Yeah, Ging already pointed this out...:cool:
:X

Didn't notice a new page, my bad.

starstriker1
13th January 2007, 23:47
No mods are as polished or solid as Hidden... probably because they're all trying to do a lot, while Hidden just takes a simple concept and goes with it.

...not that I'm saying that thats a bad way to do it. All these really complicated mods seems to be much less polished, so keeping the concept simple and focussing on implementation seems to have worked fairly well. Hell, if some of the AAA games coming out would just do that...

However, dystopia, sourceforts, and Minerva are the best mods aside from hidden (that are RELEASED, so Black Mesa doesn't count!). Insect infestation may get on that list, once it's finally done downloading...

Zabiela
14th January 2007, 00:30
Insect infestation is still too young to be called a good mod. They have quite a bit to work on, but youll get a feel for what it will be like. Most annoying is they havent made any sounds, attacking someone with pincers makes the metrocop bat sound.

Sourceforts could have been cool, but really hl2 dm gameplay barely makes use of cover and forts, so it ruins the point. A slower more tactical shooter with fortbuilding would be nuts!

starstriker1
14th January 2007, 04:16
I'm interested to see how the v2 (a total conversion) takes sourceforts... while I agree with your sentiments, I played the mod when it first came out... the only thing that dragged me away was hidden!

Daedalus
14th January 2007, 07:55

Okay okay, get off me. Typed that instead of the fear of insects cause I was in a hurry and look what happens. ;)

Kira Yamato
15th January 2007, 01:39
Too bad source is such a bitch to code for.

<Beatlemania>
16th January 2007, 22:55

thanks! i was thinking i missed out on something! the only thing worth playing on Gmod is noxious, try that out if you get the chance. kinda fun.

Just think, you could have had 10 cheese burgers instead! But no, you had to go and spend your money on gmod!

i woulda taken that over gmod

<Beatlemania>
23rd January 2007, 00:17
oh god this is the worst game i've ever played

Zabiela
23rd January 2007, 00:29
oh god this is the worst game i've ever played

You must not have played many games.

Hyp-R
23rd January 2007, 20:17
It's got a great start,
but nothing I can play at the moment
too shabby still

Zabiela
23rd January 2007, 21:34
It's got a great start,
but nothing I can play at the moment
too shabby still

There we go.

<Beatlemania>
24th January 2007, 22:41
You must not have played many games.

i'm getting blocked by builder ants making unlimited cactuses, and they patch it two days in a row, how is it that they could fix that stuff in a couple of hours but they hadnt already. really turns me off.