PDA

View Full Version : Colored chat area text?

Knigh7s
10th January 2007, 17:15
I did a search and didnt really find anything on this topic.

I was just wondering, if it could be possible to add colored text to the chat area. Like DOD:S or CS:S, with the light green, green, normal(orange), blue, etc.

Currently it isnt supported, or I cant get it to work with my plugin/eventscripts. I think it would be a nice addition to B5.

Also, would anyone know why some text shows up as all grey? example, would be the Pigstick Limiter script that runs on my server. Sometimes it prints out as all grey text, sometimes it does it in normal(orange) text.

<Beatlemania>
13th January 2007, 01:43
why? for different teams?

Knigh7s
14th January 2007, 02:00
This is how it currently is:

(IRIS) »D™Y«|:BlackhawK: : (RoofTop) statsme
(IRIS) Shadow Ops :(RoofTop) dief****r
Console: [K7-Filter] WARNING! Shadow Ops Swearing is not permitted on this server! (1/5)
(IRIS) »D™Y«|:BlackhawK: : (RoofTop) no
(IRIS) »D™Y«|:BlackhawK: : (RoofTop) nope
Console: [TK-Warning] WARNING! Carefull with the Team Killing!
Console: [TK-Warning] "Angel[Knigh7s]" - "STEAM_0:0:0000000" has been logged.
(IRIS) Shadow Ops : (RoofTop) lol
(Hidden) DarkMark : (RoofTop) :p

As you can see, that to me looks like a bunch of nonsense gibberish in the middle of a gun/knife fight. and the warnings just pass on unoticed.

This is what I am trying to say:

(IRIS) »D™Y«|:BlackhawK : (RoofTop) statsme
(IRIS) Shadow Ops : (RoofTop) dief****r
[K7-Filter] WARNING! Shadow Ops Swearing is not permitted on this server! (1/5)
(IRIS) »D™Y«|:BlackhawK : (RoofTop) no
(IRIS) »D™Y«|:BlackhawK : (RoofTop) nope
[TK-Warning] WARNING! Carefull with the Team Killing!
[TK-Warning] "Angel[Knigh7s]" - "STEAM_0:0:0000000" has been logged.
(IRIS) Shadow Ops : (RoofTop) lol
(Hidden) DarkMark : (RoofTop) :p

Now I would be able to do away with the "say" command using "console:"
and format it like above.

And with my eventscripts I could format like this:

es_msg event_var(es_attackername) #multi #lightgreenserver_var(toolname1) #redWARNING! #greenCarefull with the Team Killing!
es_msg event_var(es_attackername) #multi #lightgreenserver_var(toolname1) #greenevent_var(es_attackername) - event_var(es_attackersteamid) has been logged.

Above would output:

[TK-Warning] WARNING! Carefull with the Team Killing!
[TK-Warning] "Angel[Knigh7s]" - "STEAM_0:0:0000000" has been logged.

Summary:

"(IRIS) PLAYERNAME : (location)" should be colored to differentiate the name from there msg.

And just add variable such as #lightgreen, #green, #lightblue, #red, #normal(normal orange text), ETC.

This will also enable Mani Admin to be able to color code the ingame Adverts. so it just doesnt print out as that all grey or all orange txt.

Demented
14th January 2007, 02:31
Different teams I could support, but I think it'd be for the best to discourage Server Admins making multi-colored messages.

Knigh7s
14th January 2007, 03:47
Different teams I could support, but I think it'd be for the best to discourage Server Admins making multi-colored messages.

Why would you discourage against Admins to do this? You will only have 4 different colors, 5 including the normal text color. Its not like I'm making a rainbow of text just to be annoying or something.

Again, other ways to use this would be, to have Mani Adverts or EventScript Adverts to display server settings in all Red, Server ip in all green and/or other msgs in light blue. I dont know why it would be a problem to allow admins to differentiate normal chat to their server msgs or custom plugins.

Paegus
14th January 2007, 10:20
rainbow coloured text would detract from the feel of the game imo. given the option to have messages print out in bright pink and so on, some admins may well do that.

personally i'd keep it simple and limit it to 3 colours. iris, hidden and server output. all of which should be dull and not of "ZOMG LOOK HEAR" contrast. if you're not paying attention then you miss the text and you pay the consequences be that not knowing something important of getting banned from the server because the admin wants to you jump up and down while spinning in circles.

Handsome
14th January 2007, 10:22
I'm against this idea... i dont want H:S to look like that (http://norkimo.free.fr/kikoo-lol.jpg) :p

Dr.SharK
14th January 2007, 10:25
OMG, GREEN TEXT IS FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE TO READ! AHHHHH!

Please, no whitish colors, people with low contrast and high brightness hurts their eyes trying to read them :/

,-Dr.SharK

Paegus
14th January 2007, 10:43
like that sickly blue in your sig? that's nasty on the hidden forum theme...

Demented
14th January 2007, 20:33
Seems fine to me, but this is an old LCD monitor, it just can't output the contrast needed to make a color really ugly.

Zabiela
14th January 2007, 20:43
I'm against this idea... i dont want H:S to look like that (http://norkimo.free.fr/kikoo-lol.jpg) :p

Damn french and their dumb msn gimmicks.

Demented
14th January 2007, 21:20
"The french don't care what they do, actually, so long as they pronounce it properly."

Fwee!

Handsome
14th January 2007, 21:38
No comment.

Eart2Luke
7th December 2013, 20:54
I'd like for this thread to be bumped, but possibly to make this plugin happen from our gifted and talented community coders. I'm looking for this plugin specifically for Hidden-Source, in hopes that I can differentiate an Advert or "dead chat" from normal chat more easily. And to possibly customize the way my server's chat appears. So in this case, a whole chat makeover, allowing people to customize not only the color, but other things as well.

Here's a lovely example I've created! Very mild color changed, just to separate certain chat aspects. I think it cleans up the chat a lot more. Don't you?
http://i.imgur.com/RZ9ZfwT.jpg

Claybro
11th December 2013, 19:15
Would love to see something like this.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つGIVE SOURCE SDK 2013 PORT༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Eart2Luke
19th December 2013, 01:43
An possibly make it cooperate with dead players as well.