PDA

View Full Version : Hellgate: London

Alt
8th January 2007, 20:02
I heard this game has procedurally generated content?

GrimReaper84
8th January 2007, 20:15
Whaaaa? :confused:

Alt
8th January 2007, 20:42
Confirmed. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellgate_London) That'll be interesting to say the least ;)

Demented
8th January 2007, 21:32
Confirmed where?
I see a comment about random areas, a la D2, but that's it.

Ging
8th January 2007, 22:35
I believe the randomised quest areas are the only procedural content of any major impact in Hellgate - it's quite impressive in 3D mind you.

starstriker1
8th January 2007, 23:17
That it is. Diablos random dungeons were impressive in their own right, but to do that in 3D? Nice.

Not too hyped up on the game myself, though, to be perfectly honest.

Demented
9th January 2007, 00:43
Maybe I've played D2 a bit too much for my own good, since it doesn't seem impressive to me. A randomized tile system is just about the simplest and easiest way to do random dungeons, and it ought to expand into 3D quite well.

Ging
9th January 2007, 00:47
The tech behind Diablos dungeons isn't impressive any more - it was back in the day however. Making 2d tiles fit together is a far easier task than creating anything randomly in 3D (especially when it's a complex urban environment).

Demented
9th January 2007, 01:35
Depends on how 3D you're thinking.
One could just take the Diablo 2 system and expand each tile into a 3D structure.

Gusdor
9th January 2007, 01:50
Think about how complex urban sprawl is. Maps of them feel like looking at drawing of impossible objects sometimes.

-<<SyycK>>-
9th January 2007, 02:34
So kind of like Natural Selection 2's dynamic infestation on a more grand scale?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JzKnXb8n8A
I'm thinking is it actualy going to be randomly generating geometry and appropiately texturing it or is it going to be peicing premade builing/corridoor segments together?
ie. T-intersection: joinable with section a. b. c. e. z. the computer or w/e decides to join it with one of the avaliable segments?

Demented
9th January 2007, 02:50
Probably a section-by-section thing, same as D2.
It would work well with the underground subway tunnels, and probably the city too. And, of course, you can do whatever you like in the hell zones.

Hyp-R
9th January 2007, 04:53
I'm actually really excited for this game
It should be really fun, but I cant say much yet.

starstriker1
9th January 2007, 05:21
Eh. Demonic invasion is getting to be a bit of a cliche. Unless someone does something different with it, it'll be tough to get me interested in the concept.

Ging
9th January 2007, 08:12
It is indeed section by section, without seeing more in game stuff, it's hard to tell how complex it actually is.

Gusdor
9th January 2007, 11:56
Eh. Demonic invasion is getting to be a bit of a cliche. Unless someone does something different with it, it'll be tough to get me interested in the concept.
Demons in London are only cliche because everyone loves to parody new labour.

Seriously though, ill never get tired of portals from hell dimensions blah blah :D

MiasmicAnomie
9th January 2007, 14:39

Has "Angelic Invasion" ever been done?

Kira Yamato
9th January 2007, 16:03
Has "Angelic Invasion" ever been done?

Neon Genesis Evangelion, it was an anime, a really bad anime. The game on the N64 was even worse...