PDA

View Full Version : Gunshin

ThunderDan
8th January 2007, 18:05
I found this really cool website about Gunshin.
http://eos.kokugakuin.ac.jp/modules/xwords/entry.php?entryID=6

Gusdor
8th January 2007, 18:08
major grats irl :P

Ging
8th January 2007, 19:02
Gunshin is also a term used to refer to kamikaze pilots in WW2 (and Japanese war heroes in general)

ThunderDan
8th January 2007, 19:50
Gunshin is also a term used to refer to kamikaze pilots in WW2 (and Japanese war heroes in general)

I was unaware of that. I did a paper last semester on a story called "Tale of the Heike" - based on a much earlier period then when Gunshin would have been used, and mainly about samurai. The Japanese definitely love their war heroes.

Demented
8th January 2007, 21:23
Is there some special significance to this that I'm missing, or is it a "just because"? O.o

Gusdor
9th January 2007, 01:21
Because its asian and 'fashionable'

ThunderDan
9th January 2007, 03:54
Unrelated Gibberings - I thought I put it in the right place, but maybe I'm wrong?

Gus and Ging can see how significant Japanese warriors are.

You should really look into it. There's some really nice stuff out there. And its definitely 'fashionable'.

Demented
9th January 2007, 04:21
So it's a "just because"... Okay. Works for Unrelated Gibberings.
Thought it might be related to something.

crans
9th January 2007, 04:24
EVERYTHING is related to something..

Demented
9th January 2007, 05:46
Something on this forum.

Nitpicker. =P

crans
9th January 2007, 06:06
Well what can I say, I'm related to a monkey... Oh wait, that's a flea-picker.

Kira Yamato
9th January 2007, 06:09
I just love Japanese, Chinese, and general Asian mythology. Not because it's fashionable, but because European mythology seems so bland.

Ging
9th January 2007, 08:13
Greek / Roman mythology is far from bland (and is European) - Now, American Mythology, THAT'S bland! :D

And yes, Gunshin does have some relevance to this forum...

Demented
9th January 2007, 08:39
American Mythology?
Hey! They actually have fairly decent mythology in Central and South America! I think. Lotta stuff about quetzalcouatls and the end of the world. It's got to be almost as good as Egyptian mythology, at least. If you've got a creature named a couatl, your mythology has to be good! Thing is, the poor sods needed to invent paper so they could write out epic stories, like the Western and Eastern societies.

Greek mythology gets precedence because it's got more sexual deviance and godplay than you can shake a stick at. :D

As for the relevance... point it out, damnit!

crans
9th January 2007, 09:28
American Mythology?
Hey! They actually have fairly decent mythology in Central and South America! I think. Lotta stuff about quetzalcouatls and the end of the world.

Quetzalcouatls? Your spelling is getting worse every post! :p

All jokes aside, isn't that the name of a GF in FF8?

Demented
9th January 2007, 10:00
To my credit, I only added an extra 'u'. ^_^
(Damn the modern fantasy genre and its "couatl".)

Never played FF8, so I wouldn't know. Please keep the cries of "Heathen!" to a minimum.

khu
9th January 2007, 10:43
Native North American mythology is interesting. IF you're talking about Canada and the US, uh, we have no mythology because we're a couple hundred years old. The only mythology is from that crap from the Middle East that was itself a copy of the Mithras legend.

Sigh.

Ging
9th January 2007, 11:06
As for the relevance... point it out, damnit!

I've got the faith that someone of your intellectual calibre can figure it out... :p

Gusdor
9th January 2007, 11:52
I havn't given it a whole lot of thought, nor have a given the text a good read. Still struggling to put the two and two together :D

Kira, go look up Norsk Mythology. Pleb! Its fantastic. Its all about ghostly viking warriors, sea monsters, living 'hell' and gods walking the earth. Its full on cool

ThunderDan
9th January 2007, 13:24
I figured it out - that's why I posted it.

Sil
9th January 2007, 15:22
Yeah. All our differences aside, Kira (which I am sure all surmount to me saying somethign offensive and you taking offense at it, causing unwarranted friction between us -- if there ever was any friction at all), Norse Mythology is absatively brilliant. It's unique, too, at least among European religions, because the "good guys", the Ęsir, know they're doomed to die at Ragnarok, but they stick around and fight their best nevertheless.

Kira Yamato
9th January 2007, 16:07
I guess I should state my self more clearly. It's not that European mythology isn't interesting, the style is just a turn off.

ThunderDan
10th January 2007, 04:06
Anyone else find any interesting Gunshin sites? ;)

Demented
10th January 2007, 05:01
I've got the faith that someone of your intellectual calibre can figure it out... :p

Did you feel that slight shudder?
That was my sarcasm detector imploding.

Boxy
10th January 2007, 08:27
I thought we were holding this sort of thing off for a while. This thread appears so cryptic to those who are unaware of its depths...

Hell even that last statement sounds like it belongs in a Matrix film

Ging
10th January 2007, 11:13
Mef, it wasn't really us that started it...

ThunderDan
10th January 2007, 14:29
And I'm the only one who gets it...

Demented
10th January 2007, 23:33
Not counting Gus, Ging, Boxy, and everyone else of their calibre.
If there are any depths that haven't been around for months, I'm not plumbing 'em.