PDA

View Full Version : Why does every fantasy book suck?

Cyborg
8th January 2007, 07:21
I like to read. It is good for me. My favorite genre is fantasy, so I've read all of the biggies... Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Harry Potter, Eragon, Fire and Ice Series all of that mainstream stuff.

I wanted to get a few more books, so I went searching. You know what I found? Big steaming piles of crap that did not interest me in any way. Help me.

Suggest some fantasy (and maybe a bit of Sci-Fi, I suppose) for me.

KThxBye

Sithun
8th January 2007, 08:13
R.A Salvatore is quite good. He wrote (an is still writing) a few really good books in the D&D universe. The Darkelf Trilogy FTW. Action and Magic and Darkelfs, what more do you want?

Ging
8th January 2007, 08:49
Robert Jordan, David Gemmell, David Eddings, Raymond E Feist, Sara Douglass... That'll keep you going for a while, if you think any of them suck, you need to go out and top yourself.

What you listed is essentially, fantasy for kids (bar LOTR and that's close) time to move up in the world - the authors I listed above are mainstream fantasy for adults. (well, in general anyhow, any good geek has read the wheel of time by Jordan and probably touched upon Gemmell and Eddings).

khu
8th January 2007, 11:56
Good scifi:

Starship Troopers [probably the first exploration of powered armor in a military setting by an author who actually served in the military]
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress [prison colony on the moon rebels against earth with the help of the first self-sentient computer]
both by Robert Heinlein.

The Player of Games [the powerful human "Culture" civilization sends an emissary to defeat a barbaric alien race through a political board game that is so complex, the winner of the game becomes ruler of the planet], by Iain M. Banks

Snow Crash [super-hacker-delivery-boy Hiro Protagonist saves both the virtual-reality Metaverse and the real world], by Neal Stephenson

These are books that are must-reads. Classics of the genre. When you pick them up, you won't be able to put then down again until you're several chapters in. Unless you're stupid!

Ging
8th January 2007, 12:17
If you're after a bit of Sci Fi too - then along with Snow Crash, I'd also go for Neuromancer (and it's follow ups) by William Gibson.

Chas0r
8th January 2007, 13:46
Yeh, guess who's back :) Well, even if i've been absent longtime -years even- i kept reading in here every now and then. However, I decided that this passive Lurker-behaviour doesn't do me good. Well, truth is, i just miss a nice community ;) Don't worry, I expect noone to really remember me^^

allright, back to what lured me here: all these authors i loved to read. both, Fantasy and Sci-fi (cyberpunk like neuromancer in particular)
A few to add: Stan Nicholls 'Orcs' is a must-have, and Terry Goodkinds 'Sword of Truth'-series, although a bit childish, is the best fantasy i've ever read.

Following an advice of Sil, i also tried humorous fantasy: Terry Pratchett. (I actually doubt you haven't heard of him ) Something totally different, but still worth reading!

Paegus
8th January 2007, 14:18
almost anything by Ursula Le Guin. Specifically the Earthsea (fantasy) and Ekumen (scifi) series

can't go wrong with Larry Niven's Man-Kzin Wars. they're collections of short-ish scifi stories by various authors but in the same universe.

Poul Anderson has some good scifi, histori-fi (aka time travel) and fantasy.

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game was pretty fun. but by the 3rd book in the series it was getting a tad old.

If you likeh the dragons then Anne McCaffrey's Pern series isn't bad. Though she seem to have an axe to grind a bit much throughout the series. For all I know that's probably how it would have happened anyway...

Sil
8th January 2007, 15:30
Terry Pratchett

Start out with the Colour of Magic, then read his series. If I could make that font any bigger, I might. Just... read his books. They're all ingenius. There's still *one* book he's written that I haven't read, but that's not within the main Discworld series, and I'm currently in the process of procuring it anyways, so...

edit°
8th January 2007, 17:01
Theres some REALLY good suggestions here. Ursula K LeGuin's earthsea series is absolutely brilliant. I think in many ways its better than Gemmel and Jordan but each have their own appeal and are DEFINATELY worth checking out. Raymond E. Feist comes highly recommended from my friends but I haven't had a chance to read any yet.

Sci-Fi - Check out the alien vs. predator books for sure. Neuromancer, Software/hardware etc are all fantastic.

If you want fiction but not quite fantasy theres a wealth of stuff out there as well, thats important not to forget. Brave New World (whilst maybe slightly sci fi) was my most recent fiction read and its bloody good.

If you want a bit of fact, check out H.R.Gombridge - Art and Illusion. Its hard work at first but really good.

Cyborg
8th January 2007, 17:48
Robert Jordan, David Gemmell, David Eddings, Raymond E Feist, Sara Douglass... That'll keep you going for a while, if you think any of them suck, you need to go out and top yourself.

What you listed is essentially, fantasy for kids (bar LOTR and that's close) time to move up in the world - the authors I listed above are mainstream fantasy for adults. (well, in general anyhow, any good geek has read the wheel of time by Jordan and probably touched upon Gemmell and Eddings).

Thanks, but i disagree with the fire and ice series being for kids. Incest, murder, and torture ftw... Thanks y'all.

Ging
8th January 2007, 18:57
Ok, fair one on Fire and Ice - it's not for zee kids so much.

GrimReaper84
8th January 2007, 20:28
David Eddings is a great author. The Belgarion is unmissable for Fantasy fans and his other series are just as good.

Katherine Kerr has a GREAT Celtic fantasy series. It goes forever but well worth the read. Still a couple of books in the series to be written yet but most of it is done.

And of cause the master Ramond E. Fiest. A real master of epic fantasy. Start of with Magician and just keep going. The series is still being written but there's a LOT to read even now.

As for Sci-Fi

Anne McCaffrey has several good series. The Dragonriders of PERN, The Crystal Singers & The Tower and The Hive are all great reads.

And then, the master E. E. 'Doc' Smith. His Lensman series is the definition of the epic Space Opera and totally unmissable for Sci-Fi fans.

starstriker1
8th January 2007, 22:00
I recommend the Shannara books, as well as (as Ging mentioned) Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

Seriously, Wheel of Time is an incredible series. READ IT.

Ging
8th January 2007, 22:36
Hopefully, he'll finish it before he pops his clogs.

starstriker1
8th January 2007, 23:16
If I recall correctly, he said that the next one would be the last.

Ging
8th January 2007, 23:34
Yup, the twelfth will be the last, but he's also said that it may hit 2500 pages! :D He's aiming for some point next year for hard back publication, so we'll have to wait and see.

starstriker1
9th January 2007, 03:27
I'd heard no projected date of release, so this is good news to me.

I can't wait to see how he resolves all the plot threads he has going...