PDA

View Full Version : Double Equipment

Matto
4th January 2007, 23:23
I had an idea.. that you could select two types of equipment as IRIS, however all items that mount on the weapon such such as LAMs and Flashlights can only be mounted on ONE weapon. Say, If you chose Flashlight for your Shotgun and LAM for your pistol, you would only have flashlight usable while your shotgun is out (and vice-versa). However If you chose LAM twice both your shotgun and pistol will have LAM usable.

All the equipment that doesn't mount on your weapon (Adrenalin, Sonic Alarms, NVGs,) Can be used any time. However, If you chose LAM and then Adrenalin, you will have a LAM on your shotgun and nothing on your pistol; with Adrenalin accessible any time. Choosing Adrenalin twice will give double the amount of Adrenalin the player can use.

But for this to work you will need to alter the weapon loadout menu. First you will need a Primary weapon menu, where you choose your Primary weapon and which equipment will take up its slot. Then an identical one for the secondary weapons, but with Pistols available instead of the primary weapons.

I just thought that this would encourage people to use other equipment, not just LAMs and Sonic Alarms. Also it would add a bit of difference to the game.

Paegus
5th January 2007, 00:15
you'd also need another button...

if/when they fix the lam dot so it doesn't interact with the hidden player model, thus turning it into a hidden detector, some people will probably start moving away from it.

Matto
5th January 2007, 00:59
Yeh, I didn't think of that. Well, does the button 'G' do anything? Its right next to existing equipment button, F.

They're fixing that? Cool. I didn't know that :D
However I think that most people will be using The LAM anyway, because everyone is so used to playing games with crosshairs, thus knowing where they're aiming.

I mainly thought that you could make some interesting combinations, making the equipment more useful. Say using your Flashlight-equipped Primary for dark areas and using your LAM equipped pistol at long range. Or being able to use Adrenalin and still knowing where your aiming. Just small things which could bring interesting tactics, just making the game that little bit more enjoyable.

Paegus
5th January 2007, 01:06
idk.. in the interest of keeping the interface simple don't mix things.

LAM, Flashlight or nightvision in the toggle button category and sonic alarms, stims and maybe something new like an iris-sided aura booster in the slot3 category. yeah that would mean having to select slot3 and 'firing' to get stimmed up... more realistic i'm sure but gameplay-wise it would kill the stims.

<Beatlemania>
5th January 2007, 19:01
What?! Why would they mess up the LAM? Now a hidden can run into me at short range and I won't know what hit me! That's not fair if its true :(

Paegus
5th January 2007, 19:26
because the lam as it is does not function as it's supposed to. it's supposed to be just a dot to fire at.

<Beatlemania>
5th January 2007, 23:26
boo!

Zabiela
6th January 2007, 00:51
Well if it doesnt hit the hidden, youll see it do a jiggle when he passes over it. Right?

Paegus
6th January 2007, 00:57
yeah but you wont notice it much unless the wall it's falling on is close enough. would be nice to have the lam beam show up in dusty places akin to manor's attic... but the beam lag would suck i think.

Zabiela
6th January 2007, 01:07
yeah but you wont notice it much unless the wall it's falling on is close enough. would be nice to have the lam beam show up in dusty places akin to manor's attic... but the beam lag would suck i think.

A dusty beam would look so awesome, but would be hard to do.
Have you ever seen a beam you can only see in some places in source? I think a changing texture would look stupid, it'd have to be procedural. (is that the word? by that i mean something thatll "make" itself based on a series of definitions, not something pre-made).

Meh I guess you could just make a static beam that would alpha more or less. I was picturing swirls of dust traversing my lazer tho :(

crans
8th January 2007, 01:36
Omg... They're changing it so that the LAM doesn't interact with the hidden? That's so totally uncool. I don't like that at all. Oh man, why are they doing that? I reckon it's awesome they way it is. Leave it.

That's a thumbs down for me fellas.

FreePointz
8th January 2007, 02:12
This will balance out the other items slightly more, but one must ask how does a lazer beam not get refracted when it goes through the hidden? I am in favor for the change though.

----------Everything below this line does not add anything meaningful to this post---------------------

(This does not include any future posts by the author in this thread)
Now all we need is the experiemental, undeployable, portable, 2ft radii motion detector :eek:. Or maybe echo-loaction detectors for the next generation EARS (Elderly Assault and Recon Squad)! For all of those that need to know that the hidden is 0.01 seconds away from knifing you to relieve the stress you are feeling.

Paegus
8th January 2007, 02:18
ideally the beam would get refracted and maybe the dot sprite would jump around as the beam moves through the bendiness. or more simply, your view of the dot would be distorted as usual.

but consider this: a laser beam is light right? coherent monochromatic light yes but light none the less. why would it reflect off of the hidden while light from say... a light bulb... does not?

crans
8th January 2007, 02:25
:(

Handsome
8th January 2007, 06:38
That is a rather VERY bad news if they do that do the lame... it is one little "plus" that IRIS have in order to detect Hiddy!

Think about that: an high tech research lab send its top elit troops to neutralize their escaped Super Weapon by all means and they don't even give their troops a way to detect it? -thermal googles, sonars, noise detection devices, whatever- :confused:...ok why not.
And here you want to give up on the only technological "advantage" IRIS has ? no no no... . Not credible, scientifically wrong and really disavantaging for noobs and average players (me)

Don't do that please, it is just over advantaging Veterans...dont make your game so elitist that average players won't be able to survive 15 seconds..... :mad:

Do not suppress LAM interaction with the hidden body, PLEASE!

Kira Yamato
8th January 2007, 06:55
If the hidden could refract the laser beam form a LAM, could he not also refract the beam form a sonic trip alarm?

Handsome
8th January 2007, 07:14
If the hidden could refract the laser beam form a LAM, could he not also refract the beam form a sonic trip alarm?

Yes, i think he could and should.

Let me add something about LAM refraction: the first time i saw it i said: "wow cool! That's a nice effect those guys have done here!"
I thought it was a Feature, seeing so good it was. And now i read this is some kind of "bug" that need to be "fixed"?
So, "fix" the refractive look of the hidden and make him totally invisable while youre at it ! J/K :p

Ging
8th January 2007, 08:47
Not credible, scientifically wrong and really disavantaging for noobs and average players (me)

How exactly is it not "credible" or "scientifically wrong"? He refracts light, the LAM should (and will, eventually) go through him.

The sonic alarm works by detecting the reflection of the beam - when it passes through him, it gets refracted which knocks the reflection out of whack.

Kira Yamato
8th January 2007, 09:13
How exactly is it not "credible" or "scientifically wrong"? He refracts light, the LAM should (and will, eventually) go through him.

The sonic alarm works by detecting the reflection of the beam - when it passes through him, it gets refracted which knocks the reflection out of whack.

Yeah, Thought so.

Brings up a different problem though. If the Sonic alarms work by reflection then how come you don't need a mirror, or reflector pad opposite them?

Boxy
8th January 2007, 09:23
Whatever happened to dispelling a little of the real world in the pursuit if enjoyment, or as Gus would put it... Gameplay > Realism.

Demented
8th January 2007, 09:46
There are laser ranging devices that don't need mirrors.
If an object isn't totally black, it reflects stuff.
That's good enough for Sonic Alarms.

Kira Yamato
8th January 2007, 09:59
Ah, optical sensors. I get it.
Maybe they should have a function to range find the hidden too and put a separate "Hidden" blip on the radar.

Paegus
8th January 2007, 11:26
Do not suppress LAM interaction with the hidden body, PLEASE!

personally i've never used the LAM. the stims and flashlight are just far too useful to me and knowing roughly where the centre of the screen is (exactly where after firing once) why waste the slot? if you pick the lam for its hidden finding abilities you're shooting yourself in the foot since no half decent hidden is going to camp out in LAM country for longer than it takes to pounce to the relative safety of a dark corner or overhanging ledge... or your head...

fixing it might just make hiddens less careful because they're no longer worried about having a bright green dot on their back.

EmeralDragon
8th January 2007, 14:12
I don't really care either way about the LAM. People using it as a "hidden detector" are only going to spot brand new 617 players. I don't think I've ever been spotted by a LAM, at least not that I know of. :confused:

Handsome
8th January 2007, 19:56
I don't really care either way about the LAM. People using it as a "hidden detector" are only going to spot brand new 617 players. I don't think I've ever been spotted by a LAM, at least not that I know of. :confused:

I think you had...

Ging: when i say that is not credible, not realist, i talk about the laser getting through hidden's body without getting visually modified like it seemed peeps were saying you planned to do . Maybe we misunderstood..

So, the laser could pass through H's body, but gets still refracted , it's that correct?

(oh, sorry for my horrible english)

Matto
14th January 2007, 12:39
Just a quick question: Will the LAM also pass through transparent objects like glass?

Paegus
14th January 2007, 22:10
ideally it would interact as a function of the glass' opacity and reflectivity. but i don't think reflecting it would be worthwhile. cool to see most definitely but idk if the source engine is capable of doing that cheaply enough.