PDA

View Full Version : Anti-spammage movement?

Alt
2nd January 2007, 17:18
How have you done it?

Gusdor
2nd January 2007, 17:27
Movement? Like, bowel movement?

Ging
2nd January 2007, 17:43
Couple of additions to the forum - a question that spam bots will (probably) fail on at registration and post count limit on posting links.

Sil
2nd January 2007, 17:54
That second addition is ingenious. Really.

Alt
2nd January 2007, 18:00
Good, not great. They'll just multiple post on their own thread. Unless this also isn't possible?

Sil
2nd January 2007, 18:28
Restricting consecutive posts at a logarithmic rate would be nice. Post in a thread, posting banned for two minutes in the thread. Post within ten minutes after making a second post, and you're looking at ten minutes, and so on? Or no triple posting? I really don't think these guys will bother, as those people who pass captchas are generally people *hired* to do so by big fuck-off-the-block companies who want to reel in more dough.

If nobody clicks those links, and we stop most from even posting, this forum won't be considered a good "ground" for such spam/privacy invasion, and thus it'll be left increasingly in peace.

Ging
2nd January 2007, 18:30
Their post goes into moderation - so they can't do anything until it gets let through. One thing I haven't checked is if a moderated post counts towards their post count.

Sil
2nd January 2007, 18:47
Ah, splendid!

I really don't see the calls for any more improvements as it is right now. Looks to me like it's a helluva lot more trouble than it's worth to post a spam message on these forums.
'Course, this isnt' my decision to make -- but since the topic is already on the boards, I might as well put my two cents in. Plus taxes.

Hrmh. Taxes on my cents. Would that be I sent off a percentage of my ideas in a PM to you, Ging?

Alt
2nd January 2007, 18:48
You moderate every post now?

Ging
2nd January 2007, 19:01
Hrmh. Taxes on my cents. Would that be I sent off a percentage of my ideas in a PM to you, Ging?

Go for it - I shall clear some extra space.

You moderate every post now?

Nah, just the ones from members with less than the limit that have match a filter.

hutch
2nd January 2007, 19:36
how does this work?

www.google.com
www.google.com
www.google.com
www.google.com
www.google.com
www.google.com
www.google.com
www.google.com
www.google.com
www.google.com
www.google.comwww.google.com

Zabiela
2nd January 2007, 19:40
Oooo multi quote button
Nice.

>_>

Demented
2nd January 2007, 19:47
Not-so-fancy forum update, eh? Heh.
Make the multi-quote button bright blue!

Hutch, you probably have enough posts to make the filter piss itself. :p

Ging
2nd January 2007, 20:06
how does this work?

Not like that...

Had you paid any attention and not acted the retard (as usual :p ) you'd know it only filters those with a low post count.

Isolation
2nd January 2007, 20:09
Ah, cool. Those "first strike" spam posts were getting annoying (and sometimes odd). I guess it's messages like those that are targeted with this update?

Alt
2nd January 2007, 20:10
Lol. Hutch got ...'Ging'ed'?

Ging
2nd January 2007, 20:10
Yup, pretty much the sole reason I put the bits in place that I have done.

Gusdor
2nd January 2007, 21:30
Freeking genius Ging. :) Top additions

Sil
2nd January 2007, 22:15
Proper job, isn't that what you say?

crans
2nd January 2007, 23:00
This is excellent news! This means that the evil spambots will persuade the high post count member with money! Leaving the Forum completely open to attack!!

Muahahahahaha!!!

Oh sorry, carry on.

Demented
3rd January 2007, 00:01
Utterly Random:

A placeholder button for the "Multi-Quote This Message" thingy until someone makes the real thing.
MSPaint + Copy&Paste = Win
MSPaint + Nonlinear gradients = Lose

Edit:
I love the registration question. XD

crans
3rd January 2007, 00:08
What's the rego question?

"Are you a Spam Bot?"

Zabiela
3rd January 2007, 01:36
Name any IRIS member.

hutch
3rd January 2007, 01:52
Not like that...

Had you paid any attention and not acted the retard (as usual :p ) you'd know it only filters those with a low post count.

Lol. Hutch got ...'Ging'ed'?

Ok that was totally mean. No fair.
losers
wait, low post count?

crans
3rd January 2007, 02:30
Name any IRIS member.

Colin Wakefield, so can somebody tell me what the Rego question is? :p

Kira Yamato
3rd January 2007, 04:13
Not like that...

How low is the minimum post count? 100, or maybe 30?

Zabiela
3rd January 2007, 04:42
By "rego" you didnt mean registration question?

crans
3rd January 2007, 04:57
By "rego" you didnt mean registration question?

It's ok man, I was just messin' 'round. That's why I had the Smilie at the end :p Like so. Yeah in Aus, we call our Registration (car registration, etc.) 'Rego' so pardon the 'Aussieism'. :D

Zabiela
3rd January 2007, 04:59
It's ok man, I was just messin' 'round. That's why I had the Smilie at the end :p Like so. Yeah in Aus, we call our Registration (car registration, etc.) 'Rego' so pardon the Aussie talk. :D

Well yeah, so thats the registration question, name an iris member. :confused:

Demented
3rd January 2007, 05:09
Surname only.

Ging
3rd January 2007, 09:33
How low is the minimum post count? 100, or maybe 30?

It's low enough that it'll stop the average spammer but not so high that it will dissuade new members.

Gusdor
3rd January 2007, 12:26
Lets be honest. If you are creating more than one new thread with a post count under 100, do we really want you here? :D

Kira Yamato
3rd January 2007, 13:00
It's low enough that it'll stop the average spammer but not so high that it will dissuade new members.

Ah thats just vague enough to work!

Gusdor
3rd January 2007, 13:17
feels fairly specific to me. I think the word you are searching for is subjective and even that doesnt really apply

Sil
3rd January 2007, 14:22
I think he was mocking hte lack of an actual number. I don't see the point in knownig the number so much as the point in not posting it on the forum, though.

Ging
3rd January 2007, 15:27
I mock those that don't see the point in not telling would be spammers how many posts they have to make before they can spam - not out of cruelty, just because they're retards...

Sil
3rd January 2007, 15:57
Yeah, exactly what I failed to say in my half-hearted attempt. (Which was directed at Gus' reply to Kira, sort of...)

H'anyways. Retards have rights, too. You're not supposed to pick on people just because they're retards. If there's one thing life's taught me, it's "Never tell anyone how you feel about them, and never discuss your feelings about them when they're around to hear."

Alt
3rd January 2007, 16:16
Ging retains the number of exact posts, get used to it. Why do you need to know?

Sil
3rd January 2007, 16:43
Hey, I don't. That was my entire point -- nobody needs to know! The information is better off left with Ging.

I think I said that two or three times.

Zabiela
3rd January 2007, 21:04
Retards have rights, too. You're not supposed to pick on people just because they're retards.

Well according to you, if you did and they took offense its because theyre retarded cumsuckers eh?

Kira Yamato
4th January 2007, 01:48
I mock those that don't see the point in not telling would be spammers how many posts they have to make before they can spam - not out of cruelty, just because they're retards...

Assume makes an ass out of you and me, Ging. Make something fool proof and some one will find a better fool. Never, ever make the "retarded" and elitist mistake of "it's obvious," because it's usually not. There is always going to be some one who will want more information on the subject.

Now I understand why you might not want to post an exact number. To prevent the bots from knowing how many times they need to post before they can get through the filter. Now you should know bots aren't all that smart anyways, and what they'll do in either case is keep spamming until they get through the filter. The mod filter how ever is a useful tool because it gives you a chance to delete the posts, and ban the bot before it ever manages to an unmoderated post.

Demented
4th January 2007, 07:35
The bots will have a hard enough time getting through the reg question. Heck, I'm not sure how many Hidden players will be able to get through the reg question. :p

Ging
4th January 2007, 07:45
Assume makes an ass out of you and me, Ging. Make something fool proof and some one will find a better fool. Never, ever make the "retarded" and elitist mistake of "it's obvious," because it's usually not. There is always going to be some one who will want more information on the subject.

You should be aware that using fucking silly statements like "assume makes an ass out of you and me" makes you completely worthy of ignoring, near enough forever.

I've assumed nothing, nor have I stated anywhere that "it's obvious" - I'm merely guaranteeing a certain level of security by not providing an easy method for human spammers to find what they need to do before they can post links, especially not in a thread entitled "anti-spamming movement", which in and of itself, a bit of a giveaway as to where they may want to start looking.

Demented, this is true - I tried to make it easy enough to go and find a suitable answer for it though.

Kitty_Loaf
4th January 2007, 07:49
You should be aware that using fucking silly statements like "assume makes an ass out of you and me" makes you completely worthy of ignoring, near enough forever.

I've assumed nothing, nor have I stated anywhere that "it's obvious" - I'm merely guaranteeing a certain level of security by not providing an easy method for human spammers to find what they need to do before they can post links, especially not in a thread entitled "anti-spamming movement", which in and of itself, a bit of a giveaway as to where they may want to start looking.

Demented, this is true - I tried to make it easy enough to go and find a suitable answer for it though.

hey now, I got that "assume/ass u me" thing from my math teacher. It's silly, but gets the point across. XD

I'm happy you were able to incorperate something that got rid of some of the spammers though. Hopefully it won't get broken by some stupid douche and we have more threads titled "IS YOUR WANG SMALL?". It wasn't needed, since I'm pretty good at ignoring them, it still helps keeps the forums a little cleaner.

Sil
4th January 2007, 14:50
Well according to you, if you did and they took offense its because theyre retarded cumsuckers eh?
>_>

I was merely remarking at the callous disregard and stone-cold emotion Ging treated the less-fortunate with. I mean, it's not their fault someone pissed in their gene pool?

Kitty_Loaf
4th January 2007, 16:11
>_>

I was merely remarking at the callous disregard and stone-cold emotion Ging treated the less-fortunate with. I mean, it's not their fault someone pissed in their gene pool?

Urine is quite sterile, I'd say taking a large, messy dump in the gene pool would probably mess things up quite a bit more

edit°
4th January 2007, 16:27

Hes a norveg, to him anyone who has anything wrong with them should be left on a hillside at birth anyway aint that right Sil? :p I'd say ging was efficient and honest rather than callous, but the two might actually be the same.

I also take pleasure in pointing out the way this thread is going (I'm no innocent in helping it along) considering that its about being anti-spam :rolleyes: :D

Sil
4th January 2007, 17:56
Haha. I love the way the thread is going. I don't see anything spam-like by letting a discussion flow along into the obscure once the main topic has been answered, as it has been here. In fact, I'd say it's healthy. Everyone gets to say something about something, expressing their views -- those who don't want to do this just plain steer clear of the thread -- and everyone is happy.

World's a better place for this. I'd go so far as to say that locking this thread would produce a raincloud and possibly the death of something small and furry.

Alt
4th January 2007, 18:53
especially not in a thread entitled "anti-spamming movement", which in and of itself, a bit of a giveaway as to where they may want to start looking.

I'm sorry should I have named it differently? /sarcasm

Ging
4th January 2007, 20:46
I'm sorry should I have named it differently? /sarcasm

Oh, the wit - I die!

Was that a dig at you? No. Was it merely pointing out that someone who wanted to spam may well look in this thread first to see what's been said (if they have the patience that is)? Yes, yes it was...

Try again when you actually have something be to sarcastic over, well, once you've learnt how to be sarcastic to a reasonable level that is.

Zabiela
4th January 2007, 21:11
>_>

Oh. I just found it odd you would feel sorry for anyone after a disclaimer like that. :p

Demented
4th January 2007, 21:14
If this thread hits 12 pages, as it is wont to do, there's no chance that spammers are going to look through it to find out what they need to do to spam. They can just as easily spam up four or five other forums in the time it would take to spam up this one.

Isolation
4th January 2007, 21:17
If this thread hits 12 pages, as it is wont to do, there's no chance that spammers are going to look through it to find out what they need to do to spam. They can just as easily spam up four or five other forums in the time it would take to spam up this one.

Ironic that spamming our own forum is gonna keep outside spammers from getting in proper.

Alt
4th January 2007, 22:24
Oh, the wit - I die!

Was that a dig at you? No. Was it merely pointing out that someone who wanted to spam may well look in this thread first to see what's been said (if they have the patience that is)? Yes, yes it was...

Try again when you actually have som.....

Guess it wouldn't help if I told you to chill.

Demented
4th January 2007, 22:40
I didn't know the Ego War season started in January.

Ging
4th January 2007, 22:43
Guess it wouldn't help if I told you to chill.

No, not really... Only cunts try and get people to "chill". (that's a little known fact, but I saw it on wikipedia one day, so it must be true)

Zabiela
4th January 2007, 22:45

What do you use like 5 posts per page? :p
I use 40, this is page 2.

Demented
4th January 2007, 23:11
10/page, the default. Currently at page 6. All we need is MissMissy to post in this thread once and it'll skyrocket. =P

Isolation
4th January 2007, 23:18
Usually that's with threads she starts, so I don't know if that'd work in this case.

Kira Yamato
5th January 2007, 00:55
Thats why I avoid talking to Ging. I don't have enough patients for it. I'd have more, but they revoked my medical license.

Gusdor
5th January 2007, 01:31
No, not really... Only cunts try and get people to "chill". (that's a little known fact, but I saw it on wikipedia one day, so it must be true)
Fuck Wiki - you read it on the Internet - therefore it is true!

Alt
5th January 2007, 07:42
Oh lol big words from the man. You have got to link me that Wiki article, I didn't think they'd put up something so immature.

Ging
5th January 2007, 08:58
Oh lol big words from the man. You have got to link me that Wiki article, I didn't think they'd put up something so immature.

I think you might be missing the irony of the statement...

Though I didn't use any big words, well, other than wikipedia - I like to think of you as a "Sun" reader. :p

edit°
5th January 2007, 12:20
Dissention in the ranks. Guess whos got everyones support :rolleyes:

Sil
5th January 2007, 13:51
:D I dunno about you, Edit, but I'm sticking that banstick as far down my throat as I can to avoid it slapping upside my noggin.

Alt
5th January 2007, 16:13
I trust Ging won't retrieve the banstick over something as petty as this. Ging, sorry for whatever I did old man. I hope this won't come between us. :D

QReaper
5th January 2007, 17:00
"That wikapeedia is made by da faggery daggery doo boys!" - Caller to Hal Turner's show.

Ging
5th January 2007, 19:09
I trust Ging won't retrieve the banstick over something as petty as this. Ging, sorry for whatever I did old man. I hope this won't come between us. :D

Don't be silly old chap - speaking your mind doesn't tend to get you banned around these parts, unless I really, really disagree with you of course! :D

Demented
5th January 2007, 22:01
:D I dunno about you, Edit, but I'm sticking that banstick as far down my throat as I can to avoid it slapping upside my noggin.

Gah!
Bad, bad, bad mental image!

Sil
5th January 2007, 23:01
Haha. Feeble-minded weakling. Take it like a man!

Sheesh. I won't ever be able to say anything on these forums without vulgar homosexual innuendo being read into it, will I?