PDA

View Full Version : Updated Levels media

Boxy
1st January 2007, 21:56
Well plenty of you have been asking to see some shots or anything of Beta 5, so just to give you something to examine/scrutinze/rip apart and to also prove that we are doing marginally more than feck all I have gone and updated the Levels section of the media page.

The smart man would head on over and check them (http://www.hidden-source.com/media.htm#levels) out, making sure to press Ctrl-F5 whilst he's there to make sure the new images are loaded. All Manor images have been removed as the level is now defunct and the HEX level images are still old, so just check the HDN section for now. Thoughts, feelings and emotions, good or bad, are welcome...

Isolation
1st January 2007, 21:59
Sexeh. The enhanced lighting on Derelict makes it by far my new favorite (though Sewers still holds a special place in my heart.)

butterқnife
1st January 2007, 22:45
Ohh very nice. I agree that derelict looks really nice with the new lighting.

Matto
1st January 2007, 23:13
Whoa, discovery is red on the inside! Crazy!
The HDR in Docks is bright! Insane!
The uhhh, umm, is there anything different about sewers?

Isolation
1st January 2007, 23:24
The uhhh, umm, is there anything different about sewers?

Very, very yes.

starstriker1
2nd January 2007, 00:01
Look closely. Aside from the huge lighting differences... al lot of that ground is dry, there are gates, and if I'm not mistaken, the catwalks are bit different... ;)

Zabiela
2nd January 2007, 01:07
Beautiful job with the lighting, it looks so sick im excited!

One question: did you find it worth it to make ovr versions of these?

Dark Soul
2nd January 2007, 01:15
The gates scare me :(.

-SM-SUCKER
2nd January 2007, 11:47
HDR will kill the IRIS!
Those pics look like the Hidden will have some more places to hide in as HDR will keep those places dark for those who are in the light. But it looks awesome. Looking forward to play it.
P.S.: Tell those Hiddenites to shut their mouths about B5 and how much it rocks. Edit came in latlely and told us something about B5... It's already hard to wait for it, but knowing others are testing it already is frustrating in a way...
But if you ever need another tester, I could spare some time for sure ;)

Daedalus
2nd January 2007, 12:08
Yeah, the darkness will make the hidden harder to spot, but the average skill level of people seems to be on the rise anyway. The maps do look awesome, they have much more atmosphere.

Would like to be one of those testers though...

Alt
2nd January 2007, 17:17
Must...resist...boner. Eh lol.

Boxy
2nd January 2007, 17:33
HDR will kill the IRIS!
Those pics look like the Hidden will have some more places to hide in as HDR will keep those places dark for those who are in the light. But it looks awesome. Looking forward to play it.
P.S.: Tell those Hiddenites to shut their mouths about B5 and how much it rocks. Edit° came in lately and told us something about B5... It's already hard to wait for it, but knowing others are testing it already is frustrating in a way...
But if you ever need another tester, I could spare some time for sure ;)

Thats what the testing is required for. I need people to say 'hey this is just fine' or 'hell the Hidden is massacring us now, its too dark damn you!'. Being a beta tester is not just about having early access to builds, you have to report back on what you think, bugs you find and you often get broken or incomplete builds. Its not all fun.

We normally pick up testers based on how long they have been on the forum, how often they post AND how informative and educated those posts are and so on, so lots of "oh, lol" posts don't make many points. If you think you fit the bill and want to try your luck at testing, just ask, things sometimes happen, just ask other Hiddenites...

Alt
2nd January 2007, 17:59
Perhaps you should setup some kind of audition for people interested in beta testing.

Boxy
2nd January 2007, 18:06
Perhaps you should setup some kind of audition for people interested in beta testing.

Every post you make is an audition in effect. Talk/act like a cock you get nowhere, post sensible constructive comments, bring the community and the game forward and maybe, just maybe, you might get special treatment...

This isn't an attack on you Alt, I just read it back and it sounds like I am. Its a thought for all to take onboard and think about.

Alt
2nd January 2007, 18:51
It didn't sound like an attack :rolleyes:

So if we stated that we were interested in testing, you guys would just keep an extra eye out or...?

Zabiela
2nd January 2007, 21:51
I think I see a huge phystrap in stalky :)

Gusdor
2nd January 2007, 21:53
Every post you make is an audition in effect. Talk/act like a cock you get nowhere, post sensible constructive comments, bring the community and the game forward and maybe, just maybe, you might get special treatment...
This is exactly why Ging repeatedly Zings me.

butterқnife
2nd January 2007, 22:56
I think I see a huge phystrap in stalky :)

That caught my eye as well. Hopefully you can smush IRIS with it :D or at least jump on/in it and throw stuff from there. Btw, you have to tell me where you got that sig image lol. Awesome.

On another note, I would love to be a taster if you all decide you do need more people to help out. So keep that in mind.

Zabiela
3rd January 2007, 00:22
Btw, you have to tell me where you got that sig image lol. Awesome.

Someone else's photobucket.

Dark Soul
3rd January 2007, 00:31
Thats what the testing is required for. I need people to say 'hey this is just fine' or 'hell the Hidden is massacring us now, its too dark damn you!'. Being a beta tester is not just about having early access to builds, you have to report back on what you think, bugs you find and you often get broken or incomplete builds. Its not all fun.

We normally pick up testers based on how long they have been on the forum, how often they post AND how informative and educated those posts are and so on, so lots of "oh, lol" posts don't make many points. If you think you fit the bill and want to try your luck at testing, just ask, things sometimes happen, just ask other Hiddenites...

Yes,take me for example.I've been playing hidden for over a year an a half now(Or when ever b1 was released),but i have poor grammar and i don't post on the forums a lot so their is no point in letting me be a Hiddenite :D .

Hyp-R
3rd January 2007, 01:55
I don't know
http://www.hidden-source.com/media/levels/sewers03.jpg
In the shot of sewers the ground texture to the bottom left looks very odd.
If I'm not the only one to say so.

The displacements look odd too, they are very bubbly and im my mind don't look as they should.

http://www.hidden-source.com/media/levels/stalkyard04.jpg
are you able to get up on that box and catwalk?
I don't think so, but only asking.

http://www.hidden-source.com/media/levels/highrise0.jpg
The reeds seem to standout, a little bit much.
I'm sure thats more of a model-lighting problem that you cant really fix

http://www.hidden-source.com/media/levels/derelict3.jpg
Nailed the headlights for the truck. Good job, look awesome.

Does the car still jump in trainyard?
Even though it's not that realistic, it's still fun.
Undecided about that.

I take it executive is now at night time?

http://www.hidden-source.com/media/levels/highrise0.jpg
The rock is looking a little wierd
in the middle of the picture ish

http://www.hidden-source.com/media/levels/hdn_origin04.jpg
Is that thing to the left a live-camera?
I thought there were problems about the hidden being viewed on them?

Thats my insight on everything.
I named everything I could see wrong with what I was given
Although, there is alot more good then bad in these pictures.

Fluffy
3rd January 2007, 02:04
I very muched like sewers the way it was before... the addition of the gates and the dry ground makes a world of difference to the map and no longer makes it an "aquired taste" anymore... I get the feeling it might have been changed for the worst... lighting was really all that could have been changed :(

and I thought the sewers were supposed to be DARK... I mean... they kind of are underground

I rarely see sewers with adequate lighting...

Hyp-R
3rd January 2007, 02:07
I very muched like sewers the way it was before... the addition of the gates and the dry ground makes a world of difference to the map and no longer makes it an "aquired taste" anymore... I get the feeling it might have been changed for the worst... lighting was really all that could have been changed :(

I don't know,
Change is good for the most part.
I'm going to give it a shot before I give it a thumbs up or down.

Looks promising to me though.
Those gates, if they work as I think, can really cutoff the hiddens escape

Fluffy
3rd January 2007, 02:14
I don't know,
Change is good for the most part.
I'm going to give it a shot before I give it a thumbs up or down.

Looks promising to me though.
Those gates, if they work as I think, can really cutoff the hiddens escape

a hidden generally never leaves the same room in sewers... it just makes it harder. I dont know about you but when it comes to sewers, the darkness and the angled walls help me stay out of visibility (and the water) long enough to not get shot. Half the time I get spotted anyways because it's basically 4 long halls and three to four larger rooms. There's already so much in the way of keeping the hidden from moving around safely that it makes it a challenge. I like the water covering the whole thing too because sometimes that's all that saves you as IRIS... it seems a little too IRIS friendly now though... (not that it wasnt before... unless you knew what you were doing as hidden)

Paegus
3rd January 2007, 03:04
the previous version was much too iris friendly imo. the average hidden would keep to the 2 large rooms as mentioned. with the dimmer lighting, reduced water and the iris choke points caused by those gates which the hidden can easily pounce over i think it's slightly more balanced. though the grating effect of the gateways causes problems that are effectively as bad as landing in water. worse infact because if no one sees you land in the water you can still look around to some extent. most fence grating is lethal even when remaining motionless.

would need to play vs real people to see how it works out gameplay wise... bots don't cut it as the sensation of urgency just isn't there.

Hyp-R
3rd January 2007, 05:12
I still think that it will be fine.

I'm sure they wouldn't change it too much.

Euphoria
3rd January 2007, 09:19
My two cents:

I think all the maps look much better (from what I can see) especially the inside areas of derelict and discovery. However, I can't voice an opinion on how I think they will play with any map changes (eg-sewers) until I have actually played it.

edit°
3rd January 2007, 10:25
My two cents:

I think all the maps look much better (from what I can see) especially the inside areas of derelict and discovery. However, I can't voice an opinion on how I think they will play with any map changes (eg-sewers) until I have actually played it.

A wise man speaketh. Even the hiddenites can't test these maps with any real accuracy yet when it comes to how they play so lets not jump the gun.

Dr.SharK
3rd January 2007, 10:55
SHADOWS! OMG ! *orgasm*

That was what was missing from the original maps; Shadows, and proper lighting. It's here now, looks fantastic!

EDIT: I also like the general darker feel of the mod.

Ging
3rd January 2007, 11:46
Shadows and proper lighting?

I think you've not been paying attention...

edit°
3rd January 2007, 11:55
They've not been quite so extreme to this point is what I think he means. Darker maps in the older versions were generally quite dark and lighter maps were light. In the screenshots here theres really clear differences in terrain offered by the lighting, its a massive visible difference to older versions. We've just to wait and see if it alters playing at all :)

Dr.SharK
3rd January 2007, 12:49
Shadows and proper lighting?

I think you've not been paying attention...

Most of the maps before this update here, generally had very generic lighting. No fancy spotlights or anything of that sort, to make the stuff look dramatic. Also, with all of this light- pretty much everywhere, Hard, black shadows was a rare occurance.

Since the ambient lighting have been toned down considerably (as far as i can see), hard shadows are now plentiful. It suits the mod very well if you ask me, and also makes it look much, much more dramatic and moody.
I stole these pics from the Americas Army UnrealED turtorial, but i think it proves a good example.

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/e/e1/D056.jpg

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/8/84/D058.jpg

As you can see, adding details around lights, and with lights, makes the map looks much less generic and more dramatic- as they call it. :)

,-Dr.SharK

Ging
3rd January 2007, 13:23
Hard, black shadows was a rare occurance.

That is in fact because hard, black shadows are a rare occurance...

Those two pics look like wank, cracks or no cracks...

Fluffy
4th January 2007, 01:44
Those two pics look like wank, cracks or no cracks...

exactly why Americas Army UnrealED is always getting PWN3D...

The M.A.N6
4th January 2007, 17:32
God!
My favorite map, executive, in deep darkness \o/
And all the others maps look so cool now. No more nade camping in derelict; and the new sewers!
Can't wait. Can't wait. :p

(Secretly hope the lags in origin disapeared)

starstriker1
4th January 2007, 17:42
The shakes with each explosion, and the corresponding lag, HAVE been removed. Don't worry.

Cheesey
15th March 2007, 19:19
The shakes with each explosion, and the corresponding lag, HAVE been removed. Don't worry.

whopee! :)

Just watched the pics, really nice ideas, can't wait to take a walk in them!

stalkyard, executive, derilict and origin really looks very nice! (The others too, but especially this one!) Like the details you added... (like the hook in docks ;) )

Also cant wait to run on hdn_decay!

Hope they are such a pleasure to play on them...