PDA

View Full Version : marine_clip not like it should be...

Fluffy
29th December 2006, 02:44
Something I noticed the other day that might want to be fixed is the fact that the marine_clip entities seem to just determine whether the player is hidden or marine and then if it's marine it just pushes them outwards. This causes problems when you try using a horizontal marine_clip that IRIS can walk on. If you do walk on top of a marine_clip, you find the camera of your player view bounces quite badly as if bunnyhopping only about 3 inches off the ground. The only reason i believe this is bad is because I'd like to be able to make marine_clip walkways over odd shaped models that I want the hidden to be able to cling to (cant cling if i use player clips) but I also dont want the marines to "bounce" across the bridge in a weird way either...

Ging
29th December 2006, 03:10
They're designed to stop access to areas, not to act as faux bridges... Surely just a no draw brush or two carefully placed would be the best bet.

Zabiela
29th December 2006, 03:56
Wouldnt it have been simpler to make it solid or not, rather than execute a push against the player?
Simple question.

Demented
29th December 2006, 04:17
It's because someone didn't put the marine_clip entity in the list of networked entities, or somesuch mysterious and arcane coder mechanism that I fear to understand, thus it's not being predicted by the client. All that bumpyness is your client expecting you to fall through an entity it's not keeping track of, then the server updating your position.

Er...
I mean, it's an engine bug. Valve's fault. Totally.
It's certainly not the fault of anyone with a ban hammer.
Nope.

Zabiela
29th December 2006, 04:30
It's because someone didn't put the marine_clip entity in the list of networked entities, or somesuch mysterious and arcane coder mechanism that I fear to understand, thus it's not being predicted by the client. All that bumpyness is your client expecting you to fall through an entity it's not keeping track of, then the server updating your position.

Er...
I mean, it's an engine bug. Valve's fault. Totally.
It's certainly not the fault of anyone with a ban hammer.
Nope.

Shit man...

hutch
29th December 2006, 04:55
Shit man...
I lolled.

Kira Yamato
29th December 2006, 07:07
I lolled.

Did you just call him Gabriela?

Isolation
29th December 2006, 07:10
Hutch does that. He thinks it's funny.

Ging
29th December 2006, 11:37
I'll just point out that I had nothing to do with getting the marine_clip to work - I do know it required a bit of effort due to some oddness that was happening with the players collision flags however.

Paegus
29th December 2006, 11:49
no way to use a method similar to the NPC Clip vs Player Clip textures and just have a Marine Clip texture to slap on brushes instead? that would work nicely with the rest of the Clip brush implementations imo...

Surely just a no draw brush or two carefully placed would be the best bet.
a straight nodraw would prevent the hidden from passing through as well?

i ran into this problem as well trying to let the hidden snake through some grating that wasn't solid. the bounciness just ruins it...

Ging
29th December 2006, 14:40
Texture based clips are produced as part of the compilation process - so if I were to get the code to vbsp, rework it to allow for marine clip and recompile sure, we could do it that way. But it would mean us handing out a custom build of vbsp and then keeping it updated through sdk changes (ie, not going to happen).

Fluffy said he wanted to be able to cling to the object, not move through it as the hidden.

Paegus
29th December 2006, 16:00
clip texture: didn't know how it was done normally so oh well...
clingable: err.. quite right. but nodraw blocks light doesn't it? how about just plain old tools/invisible?

Zabiela
29th December 2006, 18:21
I lolled.

Yknow, last time, I thought that was a 1-time thing.

Fluffy
30th December 2006, 04:45
Texture based clips are produced as part of the compilation process - so if I were to get the code to vbsp, rework it to allow for marine clip and recompile sure, we could do it that way. But it would mean us handing out a custom build of vbsp and then keeping it updated through sdk changes (ie, not going to happen).

Fluffy said he wanted to be able to cling to the object, not move through it as the hidden.

No, no, no. you've got it all wrong. What I was saying is that I have an entity set that creates an odd shape that would look as if the marine could walk on top of the object but when he does walk on it he ends up sliding off of it as if he's surfing in CSS (dont know why, but i dont want to change the shape)

Anyway, I want to allow the hidden to cling to these objects while still putting a marine_clip box around it to give IRIS a flat "bridge" to walk on. Putting a nodraw brush in this area ruins the effect of the hidden's clings and renders the brushwork bridge useless so I was wondering if it was the marine_clip that could be fixed instead... after all, it may need to be used again...

hutch
30th December 2006, 05:26
know, last time, I thought that was a 1-time thing.
what was? :confused:
edit wait wt f....

Fucking firebox. How long have I been butchering peoples names?

Kira Yamato
30th December 2006, 06:03
what was? :confused:
edit wait wt f....

Fucking firebox. How long have I been butchering peoples names?

FireFox doesn't automatically fix spelling errors.

Fluffy
30th December 2006, 17:34
FireFox doesn't automatically fix spelling errors.

No, but there is a plugin that you can use to fix spelling errors... hutch, i think you downloaded the wrong plugin... or you just suck so much at spelling that the browser cant even fix the errors for you