PDA

View Full Version : 100 things we didn't know last year....

Gusdor
28th December 2006, 18:22
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/magazinemonitor/2006/12/100_things_we_didnt_know_last_2.shtml

Pretty amusing imo

Dr.SharK
28th December 2006, 18:34
They forgot ' The Playstation 3 by Sony, was a complete and utter disaster, and sucks like ass. '

QReaper
28th December 2006, 19:43
72. Modern teenagers are better behaved than their counterparts of 20 years ago, showing "less problematic behaviour" involving sex, drugs and drink.

My ass.

Demented
28th December 2006, 22:15
Things we didn't know 100 years ago...

Much less things we would've never even thought of 100 years ago.
Pele is no centegenarian!

Zabiela
28th December 2006, 22:18
They forgot ' The Playstation 3 by Sony, was a complete and utter disaster, and sucks like ass. '

Nah people knew that last year. As soon as the 600$ rumors got out it was like okfuckthat.

Red
29th December 2006, 05:54
My ass.

I agree with the article. Have you seen any 80's teen movies? All kids do is light up and fuck. (and listen to really bad synth)

My friends and most of the kids I know these days, I would say, have looked back upon the previous generation, found the drugs and drama ridiculous, and stayed away. Still plenty of people who go for it tho.

QReaper
29th December 2006, 05:57
My friends and most of the kids I know these days, I would say, have looked back upon the previous generation, found the drugs and drama ridiculous, and stayed away. Still plenty of people who go for it tho.
Yeah, now all they do is write poetry, bitch, smoke cigarettes, and cut themselves.:rolleyes:

Demented
29th December 2006, 06:10
You failed to contradict his last sentence, Q. Try harder!!! *whip*

Isolation
29th December 2006, 06:22
Yeah, now all they do is write poetry, bitch, smoke cigarettes, and cut themselves.:rolleyes:

You forgot to mention the following:

They also spend all day in front of a computer, posting nonsense in a forum dedicated to a video game about an invisible emo bastard with a penchant for exploding people with a knife.

Zabiela
29th December 2006, 06:51

They also spend all day in front of a computer, posting nonsense in a forum dedicated to a video game about an invisible emo bastard with a penchant for exploding people with a knife.

zing!

Cheesey
29th December 2006, 07:05

:D

Kira Yamato
29th December 2006, 07:08

Quit with the projection!

Isolation
29th December 2006, 07:11
Tic Tac Tow, three quotes in a row. I win.

Mayhem
29th December 2006, 14:38
Yeah, now all they do is write poetry, bitch, smoke cigarettes, and cut themselves.

F off :)

Poetry, make love, get high. Cutting yer self is too dramatized. Only kids who have some antidepressiondrugs usually cut them self and take an overdose.

E: Hahaha. Just remembered!

Kids.. never do it ACROSS the street! Do it always DOWN the street!

QReaper
29th December 2006, 15:45
"Remember kids, it's down the tracks, not across the road."

Is that what you're referring to?

Mayhem
29th December 2006, 17:24
I've heard it say that way. Well.. goes for the same thing.

I just type english as I would say it in Finnish.

Isolation
29th December 2006, 20:23
Only kids who have some antidepressiondrugs usually cut them self

Too bad that's not true. Most cutters are drug-free.

Mayhem
29th December 2006, 20:35
Was kinda supposed to be sarcastic. The stereotype.

Zabiela
29th December 2006, 20:38
Too bad that's not true. Most cutters are drug-free.

Thats not what the NIDA wants you to think.
I would occasionally have a suicidal thought before I started smoking pot, now I dont ever. F* suicide!

Mayhem
29th December 2006, 20:44
Thinking of doing suicide is completely normal.

Zabiela
29th December 2006, 20:46

Apparently not if you do drugs.

Mayhem
29th December 2006, 20:50
Apparently not if you do drugs.

I just hate such people. Been called 'odd' (which I take proudly!) from telling my friends how I would do suicide.

I'd blame the 'drugs lead to suicide' thoughts the politicians and the religion.

People who can't understand that doing suicide needs just one thing:

Mental illness or The loss of will to live.

Demented
29th December 2006, 21:03
Mental illness and the loss of a will to live isn't totally necessary.
All you need is a support group and a belief. *cough*cult*cough*
:D

Why the heck did I use that grinning smiley? Is this topic supposed to be funny?

Mayhem
29th December 2006, 21:10
What was this topic of again? Oh right! 100 Things we didn't know last year.. I didn't know that Towelie had a episode where he ran out of pot.

Isolation
29th December 2006, 21:13
Thats not what the NIDA wants you to think.

Well, they'd be wrong. Cutting was not about suicide, and is not for most people.

QReaper
29th December 2006, 21:23
Aye, but mutilating oneself to "get rid of the pain" is both retarded and abnormal.

Isolation
29th December 2006, 21:28
Aye, but mutilating oneself to "get rid of the pain" is both retarded and abnormal.

Abnormal? Sure. Retarded? No.

Mayhem
29th December 2006, 21:29
To "get rid of the pain" works.

For example: If you have by accident cut yerself you can bite your arm.. inflict pain to another part of body. This will make you concentrate to the other pain, which will make the cutting wound feel like nothing has happened.

/experience

Isolation
29th December 2006, 21:31
Except it's mental pain being overridden by the physical.

Mayhem
29th December 2006, 21:32
Everythings mental.

Like getting yourself high without using drugs.

QReaper
29th December 2006, 21:34
Alright, my $20 is down and my hand is shit, and I'm leaving this thread.

Demented
29th December 2006, 21:38
Suicide poker!

Yeah, that game would suck.

Gusdor
29th December 2006, 22:24
Why the heck did I use that grinning smiley? Is this topic supposed to be funny?
The bit about indian condoms is.

BTW, search that page for the article about goths! :D

Zabiela
30th December 2006, 00:54
Like getting yourself high without using drugs.

:confused: I wanna know.

Ging
30th December 2006, 01:18
Everythings mental.

If that were true, we wouldn't need pain killers that block the chemical pain receptors in our nervous system.

Gusdor
30th December 2006, 01:37
If that were true, we wouldn't need pain killers that block the chemical pain receptors in our nervous system.
yeh, pardon me but isnt everytihng actually physical in one form or another?

Sil
30th December 2006, 01:58
Two views on that one, Gus. Some think so, some oppose it.

Demented
30th December 2006, 02:31
Just because everything's mental doesn't mean everything mental is under your control.
In fact, most of it isn't, and that's really freaking annoying.

Mayhem
30th December 2006, 10:32
Zabiela - Mental :P Get psychedelic music(something that stimulates you to some certain memory) or go to a place where you have many memories.

Then just stop thinking. Everything will start moving slow, people will just vanish from your sight. After that.. its all just you. No rush. No pain.

Say nay to painkillers. Except if your leg has been torn off or something similar. But in the end everything depends on the person.

Zabiela
30th December 2006, 10:44
Say nay to painkillers. Except if your leg has been torn off or something similar. But in the end everything depends on the person.

The power of the mind never ceases to amaze. We've got some crazy stuff in there, and we dont even use it right!

Mayhem
30th December 2006, 10:46
The power of the mind never ceases to amaze. We've got some crazy stuff in there, and we dont even use it right!

Like getting 6 bottles of beer down in one go!

Zabiela
30th December 2006, 10:49
Like getting 6 bottles of beer down in one go!

Beerbongs FTW!

Mayhem
30th December 2006, 10:51
Beerbongs FTW!

Hahahaha. FTW!

Ever tried to get 3 pints (1L) down in something 2mins? World record, if I remember correctly.

Kira Yamato
30th December 2006, 10:56

Some of us don't. Mind over matter my friend. It takes a lot of focus to block such things.

Ging
30th December 2006, 12:21
Some of us don't. Mind over matter my friend. It takes a lot of focus to block such things.

Sure, you find me anyone that can reach a suitable level of trance to allow them to block pain when they've been burnt or lost a limb in an accident.

I've seen people walk over broken glass without bleeding and others walk over hot coals without feeling the heat and being burnt - but both of those required a fair bit of preperation, it's not a state of mind you can just pop into without being prepared.

The.ViruS
30th December 2006, 12:29
Were you watching that Derren Brown thing on TV last night Ging?

crans
30th December 2006, 12:32
Sure, you find me anyone that can reach a suitable level of trance to allow them to block pain when they've been burnt or lost a limb in an accident.

I've seen people walk over broken glass without bleeding and others walk over hot coals without feeling the heat and being burnt - but both of those required a fair bit of preperation, it's not a state of mind you can just pop into without being prepared.

Tell me how you can be 'prepared' to block out pain? If some Buddhist monks can Meditate so deeply that even a bee sting does not awake them, then wouldn't it be plausible that they could retain a fairly high pain threshold through meditation?

Mayhem
30th December 2006, 12:36
Tell me how you can be 'prepared' to block out pain?

Preparing mentally. Haven't walked on hot coals , but tried burning my self and the pain is just temporary. If you have low pain factor then try doing it first drunk :P Then start practicing while sober.

crans
30th December 2006, 12:41
Preparing mentally. Haven't walked on hot coals , but tried burning my self and the pain is just temporary. If you have low pain factor then try doing it first drunk :P Then start practicing while sober.

Ha, yeah I was kinda trying to establish the fact that how are they different? I.e. how is walking across coals/glass different to blocking out pain? Aren't they the same thing?

Mayhem
30th December 2006, 12:44
All the pain is the same in the end. Its just how you react to the pain.

Ging
30th December 2006, 13:39
Were you watching that Derren Brown thing on TV last night Ging?
I saw it live last year - none of this silly tv stuff! :D

Did they show the suicide? In the live show he actually stops his heart prior to walking on the glass - they had a nurse on hand to check his pulse, it's fairly disturbing.

Ha, yeah I was kinda trying to establish the fact that how are they different? I.e. how is walking across coals/glass different to blocking out pain? Aren't they the same thing?

To a degree, they are the same thing and in both cases a fair amount of mental preperation was required before the act could be undertaken (ie, they didn't just decide on a whim to walk across hot coals and do it there and then).

Buddhist monks are one thing, but they'll still need to enter that state of meditation before they can stop feeling pain - something I reckon they'll struggle to do if they've just lost a limb in an accident.

The.ViruS
30th December 2006, 23:53
I saw it live last year - none of this silly tv stuff! :D
Did they show the suicide? In the live show he actually stops his heart prior to walking on the glass - they had a nurse on hand to check his pulse, it's fairly disturbing.

There was some woman there at the end doing something to his wrist.

Demented
31st December 2006, 00:43
There's a fair difference between a bee sting and dipping your hand in boiling water. There's several different senses of touch... for pressure, pain, heat and vibration (light pressure), and that says nothing about intensity.

Walking across coals and broken glass without getting cut just requires some thick feet and patience.

crans
31st December 2006, 00:51
There's a fair difference between a bee sting and dipping your hand in boiling water...

I never said there wasn't. What I said is, some monks can hold concentration so well in meditation that a bee sting does not awake them. That's not really saying, "Hay guyz! Bee stingz r les painfle den boilin watre!!!111!!"

Just having a playful jest :p

Ging
31st December 2006, 01:06
Walking across coals and broken glass without getting cut just requires some thick feet and patience.

Hot coals tend not to cut so much as burn - 'thick feet' or not! :p

The glass does actually cut him while he's doing it, he just doesn't bleed - my viewing of the live show has provided me with quite graphic images of him pulling bits of glass out of his feet afterwards.

Demented
31st December 2006, 01:12
Unless your jests are meant to insult the monks... =P
It's not hard to meditate through a bee sting.

Though, I seem to recall a bumble-bee sting being pretty spicy. Then again, I was probably 6 at the time, so anything would've hurt. Honey bees were never all that nasty. A collar being on too tight is much worse.

Edit: Fine, fine, Ging. They burn. =P
Thick feet still help, though. Patience... not so much.
I've stepped on a thumb tack... it went in the thick of my foot and didn't bleed.
Which is annoying, really. Puncture wounds like that tend to get itchy.

Gusdor
31st December 2006, 01:47
To a degree, they are the same thing and in both cases a fair amount of mental preperation was required before the act could be undertaken (ie, they didn't just decide on a whim to walk across hot coals and do it there and then).

Buddhist monks are one thing, but they'll still need to enter that state of meditation before they can stop feeling pain - something I reckon they'll struggle to do if they've just lost a limb in an accident.
There is a difference between blocking pain and living with it. The latter is easy. Pain is just a sensation. Yuo can interpret it however you like. Personally, if I smile whenever I feel pain, I never feel pain. Bit of an oxymoron, but you see what i mean!

crans
31st December 2006, 03:02
Unless your jests are meant to insult the monks... =P
It's not hard to meditate through a bee sting.

Ha! Most Buddhist monks practice meditating every day for 2 years and onwards to achieve the point where they can sit down, close their eyes, and meditate for what seems to be 15 minutes, but it's been hours at a time. No one really knows what they experience during that time, except for them, but it's mighty hard to break their concentration, especially if the monk has mastered the technique of reflection.