PDA

View Full Version : I imagine I'm Not the Only 1

Ayrehead
27th December 2006, 04:31
Got an Xbox 360 for xmas cause well.... couldnt find a wii, and guess what?
It's dead already, less then 24 hours after I open the F*&#in' box.

Anyone have an xbox that is now a very expensive paper weight?

QReaper
27th December 2006, 04:34

Three red lights of doom?

What's the manufacturing date?

call microsoft yet?

starstriker1
27th December 2006, 05:59
Microsoft is apparently very good at replacing faulty units quickly and efficiently. A damn good thing, considering the sheer number of consoles that are best suited to be doorstops.

Isolation
27th December 2006, 09:44
MS recently changed the 2 month warranty to a full year, so you should be able to get a free replacement (but don't quote me on that... I'm unfamiliar with MS' returns/exchanges/warranty fulfillment process).

Boxy
27th December 2006, 09:51
MS recently changed the 2 month warranty to a full year, so you should be able to get a free replacement (but don't quote me on that... I'm unfamiliar with MS' returns/exchanges/warranty fulfillment process).

Ive always had a years warranty on mine? Two months?! Shocking cover for an expensive electrical item. And to the the original post, it has had red lights of doom twice but a turn off/on fixed it. Touch wood, been fine other than that.

Kira Yamato
27th December 2006, 09:56
I need a 360 my old XBox just became an MS kill brick.

Yeah but MS is usually good about replacing hardware they sell.

Isolation
27th December 2006, 10:01

So, Kira... you up to throwing that old Xbox around and recording the sounds? I bet the devs would LOVE some authentic killbrick crash SFX :D

Edit: On Topic: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163599.html?tag=latestnews;title;1
The original warranty was three months, not two. Either way, you should be covered for a replacement.

Kira Yamato
27th December 2006, 10:03
I'd need a digital recorder of some sort for that, and yeah I don't have one...

Gusdor
27th December 2006, 11:40

Whats wrong with it? There are some fixes you can try for "internal errors" (red ring of light) that involve removing hard disk and cleaning the cache /shrug.

Ging
27th December 2006, 13:57
Ive always had a years warranty on mine? Two months?! Shocking cover for an expensive electrical item. And to the the original post, it has had red lights of doom twice but a turn off/on fixed it. Touch wood, been fine other than that.

UK and most of Europe enforce a minimum 1 year warranty on purchased goods - USA doesn't, so MS recently upgraded the US warranty to be in line with the rest of the world.

QReaper
27th December 2006, 16:21

Yeah but MS is usually good about replacing hardware they sell.
Broken XBox: Doubles as a bulletproof vest, not even kidding.

UK and most of Europe enforce a minimum 1 year warranty on purchased goods - USA doesn't, so MS recently upgraded the US warranty to be in line with the rest of the world.

I blame Capitalism.

Ayrehead
27th December 2006, 20:12
I actually went into Futureshop today, (and after an hour wait) I just got a new one, if this 1 crashes on me I'm taking it back and boycotting MS forever.

Demented
27th December 2006, 22:21
Boycotting MS forever?
Don't make promises you can't keep. <_<

Broken XBox: Doubles as a bulletproof vest, not even kidding.
Ooh, fancy.

Kira Yamato
28th December 2006, 11:11
I blame Capitalism.

You would. When it wasn't world wide stuff that made MS update, but the fact that so many people threatened to boycott MS if they didn't be more reasonable. Since MS is a capitalistic company, the thought of losing a shit load of customers didn't sit well with them, and they upgrade warranty. As well as started making more reliable consoles, of course you're still likely to find a bad apple in the crowd of consoles some where.

Gusdor
28th December 2006, 11:30
Since MS is a capitalistic company
Surely 'company' implies that nowadays? :D

Ging
28th December 2006, 11:50
Surely 'company' implies that nowadays? :D

I think it always has...

Sil
28th December 2006, 14:08
Hehe. Norway doesn't. We have a 2 year thing enforced. Apple got in trouble for not wanting to follow up with that on their iPods, go figure.

Kira Yamato
28th December 2006, 14:14
I think it's wrong for the government to enforce restrictions of those sorts on a business.

edit°
28th December 2006, 14:53
I think its fair enough. The government is what the majority of the population invented to look after us. More and more we're seeing companies and industry taking an outsiders approach when dealing with customers because its aims are purely about wealth and not about welfare. Without the government we'd be a bit fuggered by big business. Some might say we already are.

Sil
28th December 2006, 15:30
Nice input, Edit. Wish I didn't just post to say that, but you kind of summarised what I was planning on saying, so -- nice input.

Sir Wankus Magpie
1st January 2007, 07:25
Meh...the government shouldn't enforce laws like this though

California Law : Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.

It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

Montana Law : One may not pretend to abuse an animal in the presence of a minor.

Seven or more indians are considered a raiding or war party and it is legal to shoot them.

I just threw those of those int here so you can think twice of what Govs can do for you

I love the shooting indians one

Kira Yamato
1st January 2007, 08:49
California Law : Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.

I'm all for the place of worship one, but animals mating near a school is an educational experience, and near a tavern, it's better then other things you could see near by.

Noir
1st January 2007, 13:20
Over here, there is something where if the thing doesn;t do the job that its designed to do then you have every right to a replacement/fixed one (i assume this hasn;t been scrapped anywho) even if it isn't in its warranty.

Tbh, i'm surprised i haven;t seen any upcry about just how many 360s brick themselves

QReaper
1st January 2007, 14:51
Uh...wait a second.

How exactly are you going to stop them from doing so. And even then, how do you punish animals for breaking the law?

Sil
1st January 2007, 19:27
A hefty fine, sir.

I don't think it's fair to judge an idea based on its execution. The idea of governments is to keep the people's interests. The execution sometimes results in a police state, other times in strange laws -- but this is a constantly evolving process. With democracy, the golden line between extremes is (hopefully) found. (Assuming, for once, that an angry mob is not representative of the village.)
And through dialectics and constant revoting, the laws are broadened and narrowed down until they reach a commonly accepted point where we can all live together in harmony.
'Course, it doesn't always work like this -- but neither does Communism. Or Fascism. *Shrugs*