PDA

View Full Version : HUD Display

Red
25th December 2006, 23:47
Remove it please? :)

I just love my games to be ultra realistic. I like to mentally keep track of how much ammo and health I have. It's just so much more fun for me to have a deathgrip on the trigger until it clicks, curse and reload. Crosshairs annoy me, especially when you wield a knife. =P The only thing you would need HUD for is the motion detector, and I can live without that. hud_draw 0 is a no go, though it works in hl2.. So is there a way? A console command? I would really dig it.

Can you dig it? :cool:

starstriker1
26th December 2006, 03:09
I'm personally in favour of reducing the interface to a bare minimal, wherever possible. The lack of marine crosshairs, I find, IS a bonus. The less of a visible interface there is, the better for immersion and atmosphere, I find.

I agree... there's even less need for the hidden's crosshairs than the marines. Lets be rid of it!

A no hud option might also be nice, though there are some critical pieces of information that still need to be communicated, like the round time, pipebomb count (the amount can change from round to round), health (since it's impossible to track, otherwise), and possibly stamina.

Proposal:
A "no hud" cvar that allows a player to optionally remove all non critical pieces of information, and reduce the critical ones to a less intrusive size (small font size, corner of the screen, text only). This would, of course, default to 0.

Outside of simply removing the hud, though, it'd be nice to creatively reduce the interface in other ways, like some way to change health from a number to something a bit more vague.

legoman
26th December 2006, 05:00
Well this obviously wouldn't be mandatory, but an option in the selection menu.

Red
26th December 2006, 05:05
Outside of simply removing the hud, though, it'd be nice to creatively reduce the interface in other ways, like some way to change health from a number to something a bit more vague.

Like everything's goin' black! *cough cough* can't... *cough* i'm so cold...

But srsly, I'm not asking for devs to come up with a whole new creative way to do all the needed info, just a command to take it all out. You do need a clock, but I'll live. As far as health goes... three hits and you're dead - maybe theres a nade in the mix. Maybe you'll get PSed. For the Hidden, maybe just a sound for when you reach full health from healing so you don't waste anything.

starstriker1
26th December 2006, 05:22
Damage received often isn't doled out neatly. Fall damage, thrown objects, partial pipe bomb hits, and weapons fire all deal out damage that is difficult to guess at. Its more important for the hidden than the marines, of course.

Zabiela
26th December 2006, 07:19
Being able to check someones health as the hidden must remain though. I like knowing if im in the 20-0 range for a physkill.

edit°
26th December 2006, 11:22
So keep the aura but take out the other health indications. Perhaps have the vision of the hidden blur in the origional Adrenaline shot way when you reach 30hp or less. You could do the same with iris but I think it would just unbalance it the game a little too much.

Its a lot of work but perhaps an animation could be made where the IRIS bring up an arm which has a wrist-strap, pulsemeter doobery dangly whatever jiggery and you could use the aura colour for it. Definitely polish but the mod is neally where polish is all it needs.

Colour correction as well if its in (I can't even remember :p) , lets REALLY think about how the mod can be stylised and see whats what.

Boxy
26th December 2006, 11:25
Colour correction ain't happening till Valve actually give it to us in the Source SDK. The functions are in there but they are just stubs (so my coder tells me) which slightly upsets me as I have the entities and .RAW files already made up in the mod.

edit°
26th December 2006, 12:08
Bastards, it would be so good to get something really grainy on the go, of course, the added complication of what it would do to the hidden's visibility comes in afterwards...

Ging
26th December 2006, 13:04
What, do you people not know any source cvars?

I can't remember exactly, but something like cl_draw_hud 0 (it might be just draw_hud) will remove the hud in it's entirety.

Boxy
26th December 2006, 13:21
I believe its considered a cheat G, it wont work in servers...

edit°
26th December 2006, 13:53
Aye, it won't work without cheats enabled. I was thinking more of making it impossible to know your own health. It gives the hidden more of a psychological edge than anything. The wrist thing is great I've decided now, so even if you don't bother, I'll make myself one out of cardboard and pretend whilst I'm playing.

Ging
26th December 2006, 15:06
I believe its considered a cheat G, it wont work in servers...

Pssh, that's what I get for only ever playing on my own server with cheats enabled so I can test things... Ah well, fair point.

Red
26th December 2006, 20:09
So... can ye find it your heart to somehow make that command work? :)

starstriker1
26th December 2006, 20:48
I'd personally prefer a minimized interface option.

Demented
26th December 2006, 21:27
cl_drawhud has been mentioned as a cheat HOW MANY TIMES NOW!?

*sigh*
*sob*

Sil
26th December 2006, 22:37
I'd like to see people stop saying "HUD Display". Kind of like saying "CIA Agency"

Cheesey
27th December 2006, 11:40
The HP-Display for 617 is necessary, cause I often have to hit the dead IRIS more often than 5 times to get all 25HP back... don't know why, but sometimes the body just shakes and everything without adding +5HP...

And for the crosshair so far, can't you delete it from the sprites directory?

If the ammo-display is not there anymore, the number of nades should be displayed at the beginning of a round for 617...

As for those ppl who'd like to have such a HUD, isn't there a possibility to create a cvar for B5 for this issue?