PDA

View Full Version : Randomized IRIS Spawnpoints

Fluffy
24th December 2006, 01:10
Something I just thought about that would be cool for hex maps would be the option to create groups of spawnpoints for IRIS that could be randomly selected by an entity placed in the map (the entity would also add/remove details that would be necessary to make it look like IRIS came through a vent or down a rope in separate parts of the map or something, that way you dont see randomly placed objects throughout the map). If you set this it should also be available to select hidden spawnpoints that are valid as well (that way you can place IRIS spawnpoints somewhat close to where a hidden may spawn on other rounds but not allow them to actually spawn so close to eachother that you create gameplay problems...)

Anyone else think it would be cool to make a map with this in mind?

Zabiela
24th December 2006, 01:11
Aye, +1

Knigh7s
24th December 2006, 01:56
Sounds interesting! +1

butterқnife
24th December 2006, 02:29
I like that idea. For a hex map I think it could really add to the gameplay. Since there will finally be a teamwork strategy involved and I'd assume some sort of rendezvous point for the IRIS to complete their objective(s) having multiple entry points could be cool.

Fluffy
24th December 2006, 02:53
I'm glad people are taking to this idea...

I know that people want to use a scattered spawn idea (3 IRIS here, 2 IRIS here, 1 IRIS here, and finally... 2 IRIS here) and i figured "what about a map where they spawn together but in a random location every round?... and what if the hidden spawned just the same way?!"

whoppa
24th December 2006, 08:09
Give it a go!

+1

Mayhem
24th December 2006, 10:19
Ever played AAo?

They have some maps in which bough teams respawn in different locations every round.

Makes the gameplay more interesting. Could work great in H:S.

Paegus
24th December 2006, 10:34
random entity selection on round start is already possible. but info_hidden/marine_spawn just don't have the nessesary bits an pieces. all they'd need to do is attach names to the spawn point entities and let them be enabled or disabled.

of you could keep the spawn point the same and just open a different door.

Cheesey
24th December 2006, 11:55
Yeah, sounds interesting, I'll give it a try! +1 :)

BTW, is there also a possibility to spawn props like jimmeh randomly? It just comes in my mind cause Iso attached the gas-effect to jimmeh, and it would be a lil bit more interesting if 617 have to "find" it before using it. So 3 to 5 different places for jimmeh...

Paegus
24th December 2006, 16:47
it's tedious but not impossible.

make 3 'decoys' and use logic_timer and logic_case to randomly delete the other 2 on map spawn.

Ging
25th December 2006, 12:21
What's up with this "+1" malarky? Does anyone actually think that will influence me in any way?

whoppa
25th December 2006, 14:54
I got affected by Zabiela. :(

But it sounds really intresting. Just try it out.

Demented
25th December 2006, 21:46
Either teleport the IRIS to the proper spot, or try the disable method. Though I've always been irked by disabling spawns, dunno why.

Zabiela
25th December 2006, 21:58
What's up with this "+1" malarky? Does anyone actually think that will influence me in any way?

Its not a vote, its just showing that you share that opinion. +1 person with that opinion/idea.

Paegus
26th December 2006, 10:32
Either teleport the IRIS to the proper spot, or try the disable method. Though I've always been irked by disabling spawns, dunno why.

teleporting them to a random destination does work with the current system but when i tried to have the iris spawn in 2 semi-randomly selected elevators heading down the result was less than satisfactory.
and iirc you need to have separate 'porting sets for each player... which is just as much, if not more work than disabling spawn points the old fashioned way which SHOULD have included in the basic entity but for whatever reason where not.

Ging
26th December 2006, 13:00
Its not a vote, its just showing that you share that opinion. +1 person with that opinion/idea.

And my point still stands (not that I said it was a vote in any way) - all it does it actually make me not want to work on this sort of thing...

Zabiela
26th December 2006, 18:08
all it does it actually make me not want to work on this sort of thing...

Then dont.

Cheesey
27th December 2006, 11:44
We can't force you to do anything by posting: "do it", "please would you", "blah..."... ;)

Fluffy
29th December 2006, 02:47
Then dont.

*GASP*

SHHHH... We all want this sort of thing!... -2 :D

teleporting them to a random destination does work with the current system but when i tried to have the iris spawn in 2 semi-randomly selected elevators heading down the result was less than satisfactory.
and iirc you need to have separate 'porting sets for each player... which is just as much, if not more work than disabling spawn points the old fashioned way which SHOULD have included in the basic entity but for whatever reason where not.

The problem you had was teleporting the spawns into moving elevators right? That's probably why it didnt work. Let me guess though, they teleported and died instantly? (if they did, it's because they teleported with no physics info on vectors and momentum... then this massive brush structure slams into them from above and kills them...)

Besides, the issue with teleporting at spawn is that teleport can have problems. With the slightest bit of lag on a server teleporting 8 players at once, you can have players get stuck halfway between the spawn point and the teleport destination (much like a hidden pouncing up and getting stuck in the ceiling...)

Also, the entity trees used in this would be horrendous. It'd be much better if a slight coding change added a selectSpawnPointGroup (FirstGroup) block right before spawning of the players occured. This will eliminate the hastle of mappers creating 200 unnecesary logic entities and will also prevent lag teleport burying inside of brushwork... The entity could also include a basic logic output system as well just to allow removing or enabling details such as broken windows, cracked tiles, holes in walls, etc... (copied and paste output system from logic_auto maybe?)

Demented
29th December 2006, 04:28
It's not like this sort of thing can done quickly and easily by a mapper, with a logic_auto to trigger a logic_case to randomly trigger the change of spawn or teleport destinations to a different location via a cluster of I/Os, every time the round restarts.

That's crazy talk.

Paegus
29th December 2006, 11:57
in my limited xperience any attempt to script the beginning of the round be that having the iris arrive in an elevator, or a door open or close will be slightly buggy. it may work fine the 1st 30 iterations but then poof a door doesn't react and your players are stuck in spawn. internet lag aside this happens on a listen server with bots spawning... no fun being locked in spawn because the trigger never felt itself being touched.

Fluffy
31st December 2006, 20:25
in my limited xperience any attempt to script the beginning of the round be that having the iris arrive in an elevator, or a door open or close will be slightly buggy. it may work fine the 1st 30 iterations but then poof a door doesn't react and your players are stuck in spawn. internet lag aside this happens on a listen server with bots spawning... no fun being locked in spawn because the trigger never felt itself being touched.

if you set it to OnStartTrigger then it will occasionally be bypassed and not register the actually "touching" of the players and the trigger. Instead it registeres as "okay, he's already there and has been there, ignore that trigger then"

What you should do is run a logic_auto for round start that automatically opens the doors if they havent opened already (and if it's to a random door that IRIS spawns behind it will obviously be scripted for which door they spawn behind. you can always use logic_timer and logic_case entites if you do it this way...)

The issue with MOVING elevators is that they dont work great with multiplayer servers. The issue is that the players "bounce" up/down the elevator instead of remaining standing with their feet against the floor. I say you should just BS the whole "moving" thing and put still brushwork with doors between it and the rest of the map and use env_shake and ambient_generic entities to simulate an elevator.