PDA

View Full Version : Not fair! -Doctor Who related-

Isolation
23rd December 2006, 07:10
So, just saw the last two episodes of the American series 2 season. "Wow" and "cool" were phrases I used throughout the episodes (along with some other, more colorful words and a general sense of disbelief). But, I'm a little ticked at one thing: You UK folk get the "real" last episode on Christmas, but we will probably have to wait until Sci-Fi starts up their next season of the show. Dammit!

Anywho, do you UK guys have any clue what's in store for the 3rd series?

Kira Yamato
23rd December 2006, 09:00
So, just saw the last two episodes of the American series 2 season. "Wow" and "cool" were phrases I used throughout the episodes (along with some other, more colorful words and a general sense of disbelief). But, I'm a little ticked at one thing: You UK folk get the "real" last episode on Christmas, but we will probably have to wait until Sci-Fi starts up their next season of the show. Dammit!

Of the new series? I just caught a few moments of it. Pfft that would have been cool in the original series, but that was pure Sci-Fi garbage. I miss the shear awesomeness every Stargate SG1 Brought

Ging
23rd December 2006, 09:27

Not particularly - other than the new assistant (the bride is only in it for the christmas episode) - but at the same time, I've not gone out of my way to find out in case I spoil too much for myself.

I'm also enjoying the spin off, Torchwood - which is a bit of a late night Doctor Who (they swear and have the sex!)

Felf
23rd December 2006, 15:31
fyi, I saw on the BBC news site that apparently they're gonna be distributing Doc. Who online, so you's in the US can watch it (idk what's wrong with TV, but hey *shrugs*). The site named was Zudeo.com - zudeo's a site set up by azureus (yer, the ones that made that bittorrent program) to host torrents for various video's (all legal btw). Many of them are HD, which is great for those of us with only 1/2Mbps broadband; 100megs for 3 mins of film really does it for me ^^

But yer. Doc Who, HD, Zudeo.com. Rockin' out for all you people in americas. Those of us in Britain will just turn on our teev's ^^

Gusdor
23rd December 2006, 18:14
Correct me if im wrong but isn't Doctor Who rubbish? I would much sooner watch a Stargate Ep > Doctor Who in my Sci-fi time.

The.ViruS
23rd December 2006, 18:47
I havnt seen much Stargate episodes but from what I saw of SG1 it was shit. Doctor who hasnt been much better, Torchwood has had some cool episodes.

Zabiela
23rd December 2006, 19:57
I havent turned on my tv in a while.

Ging
23rd December 2006, 20:07
Doctor Who is awesome - it must be, otherwise it wouldn't be the longest running SciFi program, ever. (SG1 claims that in the US - but SG1 is getting long in the tooth, Atlantis is still nice and fresh - I'm intrigued by the new spin off series they're thinking of)

Isolation
23rd December 2006, 22:04
First, I hate Stargate. I honestly can't see why people like it. But, to each his own. I find it too generic, and the comedic moments a tad... not funny.

Second, woah, woah, woah... There's a Torchwood spinoff series? Damn do I hate being at the mercy of what my cable company wants to carry...

Ging
24th December 2006, 01:29
Yeah - Torchwood has Captain Jack Harkness (the time travelling American from the start of the second season) and a few others in Torchwood Cardiff (based in the building with the rift from the first episode of the first season). It's been good so far - interesting to see the doctor who universe without the doctor (but with, as I mentioned earlier, sex and swearing).

Isolation
24th December 2006, 20:10
Gah, it'll probably never see the light of day in the States (on TV anyway). I tried checking out the BBC site, but those outside the UK can't watch the clips. Well, it'll be on DVD someday.

Kira Yamato
24th December 2006, 21:03
There is always BBC america, They play a lot of freaking Dr. Who. And Stargate only went super average after Rich retied.

Isolation
25th December 2006, 08:13
There is always BBC america

Not on my particular cable service anymore. It got axed (or moved to being a "premium" service) recently.

Kira Yamato
25th December 2006, 08:58
Let me guess, Comcast?

Isolation
25th December 2006, 10:18
Time Warner, actually.

Felf
28th December 2006, 16:59
mneh, I didn't much like torchwood - Doc. Who was always a kid's series, and that's what makes it so cool. Torchwood just took DW, took out the plot and tried to make it good by "sexing it up". Really didn't get into torchwood at all.

Klo
28th December 2006, 18:31
SG1 is my most favouritist science fiction program! (quality English) I actually do find it quite funny at times, and I enjoy the story line. I watched one episode of Doctor Who, and decided that it was very boring.

But each to their own.

Fox
29th December 2006, 08:52
The appeal of the Stargate series to myself was it's appreciation of it's audience. The series understood that it's watchers were intelligent individuals and actually took the time to make sure everything made sense and was as realistic as it could be while being sci-fi. Case in point: In the episode where SG1 could move at ungodly speeds, during one scene opening Carter is typing at about a billion words per minute on a laptop, so fast it's a blur. The first thing that popped into my brain as a technician was "Bullocks. A PC can't accept input that fast". A second later Carter stops typing, and watches the computer continue to display that which had been typed a second ago, while Carter sat looking frustrated, then complains to Frasier that she can't write the book she wants to because the keyboard buffer can't accept the data fast enough. I was blown away that the series took the time to figure out if such a thing would be possible. The series has to consult with the U.S. Airforce, which adds another element of realism. All this is just behind the scenes stuff that really adds to the series, even if some people can't see it, and it impresses me greatly. It's certainly better than Star Trek that, in countless situations, wouldn't even consider some options that seemed to be such common sense solutions for dramatic effect, making it a soap opera with phasers as far as I am concerned. This dedication to reality from the SG1 production team must make writing the storyline far more difficult as they cannot simply make up that which they want and force the audience to accept it, just because they wanted an easy way out of a situation.

Atlantis...well. It's not SG1. I don't feel the realism as much. I miss the concrete walls of the SGC. I miss RDA and Teal'Q. I do like McKay though. I suppose I'm just too pro-military, and it feels like it's taking a Farscape turn...no pun on the current actors in the SG1 series. Browder is a good lead and I still watch SG1 when I get the chance, but I enjoy the reruns with RDA better. His character's attitude simply jived with my own.

As for Doctor Who, I enjoy the series. It stays true to the old series in it's theatrical pull away from reality. This allows The Doctor to parade around and monologue in obviously dangerous situations where baddies of tremendous power who would otherwise just vaporize him instantly sit back to listen to his seemingly meaningless prattle, which ultimately is all for, as I mentioned before, theatrical effect. I don't expect realism from Doctor Who. I enjoy it all the same.

Both shows are good in their own respects, or they would not have lasted the 10 or more seasons they have existed. Simply watching an episode or two certainly doesn't make you an expert on the matter, and passing judgement, especially such that would seem extreme, ultimately makes you sound like a very narrowminded individual, especially when first admitting a lack of experience with the show as a whole resulting in an inability to appreciate its finer aspects that require so much from the staff.

In my own humble opinion, Stargate SG1 has been, to date, the finest example of a Sci-Fi based television show based in reality...but then, I suppose that's a rather narrow field.

--Fox