PDA

View Full Version : 2007, the next 1998?

QReaper
21st December 2006, 03:26
Well, everyone knows what I'm referring to. The most wonderful and productive year in gaming. With some of the best games in the history of gaming that any gamer today alive has played, if they're not idiots.

Now, I may be hyping up a little too much, but I'm totally psyched for 2007, and here's why:

Spore (top billing on this one for a reason folks)
Halo 3 (along with a closed yet public beta this coming spring)
Hellgate: London (Demons, in London + Diablo creators = one hell of a game)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (Yes, it's finally coming out)
(GC version) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Felt I should put this one up here)
Halo Wars (Big name franchise and big name developer, you do the math)
CrackDown (GTA style game with Superpowers, what's not to love?)
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (Orks orks orks, orks orks orks orks orks, orks...)
Age of Conan (Conan MMO, duh)
Dark Sector (looking even more kick-ass, even with less sci-fi)
Half-life 2/Portal/Team Fortress 2 (I don't even need to explain myself here)
Assassin's Creed (play as an Islamic assassin during the crusades, with a rumored sci-fi twist)
BioShock (Spiritual Successor to SystemShock, 'nuf said)
Shadowrun (Looking great, and I heard the RPG was good too)
Mass Effect (KOTOR creators making an open ended galaxy)

Added due to reminders:

Crysis: (Looks awesome, first true DX10 game, if I'm not mistaken)
Dragon Age: (Bioware and Dragons, 'nuf said)
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (Battlefield - shit + Quake)
Alan Wake (Premises looks promising)
Grand Theft Auto 4 (It's Grand Theft Auto, duh)
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (Successor to one of the best RTS ever)
Super Smash Brothers: Brawl (It's SSB, with Pit, how could it NOT kick ass?)

Guess I can't forget mods:

Nuclear Dawn
Hidden: Source Beta 5
Incoming: Source
Fortress Forever
etc.

And probably far more than that, are all supposed to come out in 2007.

That's one hell of a Blockbuster list to me.

What do you guys think?

Demented
21st December 2006, 03:43
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (Yes, it's finally coming out)

Really? For sure?
Dang-nabbit man, I am tired of waiting! And really, I just want to shoot the guns, they just look so fun....

Pubic betas for Halo 3 seems fun too. =P

QReaper
21st December 2006, 03:46
Really? For sure?
Dang-nabbit man, I am tired of waiting! And really, I just want to shoot the guns, they just look so fun....

Pubic betas for Halo 3 seems fun too. =P
Both are Q1 2007 baby!

http://www.stalker-game.com/index_eng.html

http://halo3.com/

Isolation
21st December 2006, 04:38
Devil May Cry 4
Metal Gear Solid 4

Dark Soul
21st December 2006, 04:53
How can you not put Spore or C&C3 up there?

Some others i can think of:
-MotorStorm
-Warhawk
-Heavenly Sword
-Lair
-Unreal Tournament 2007
-Mario:galaxies
-Super Smash Bro's
-CRYSIS

Isolation
21st December 2006, 04:55
Spore is the first game on the list...

Zabiela
21st December 2006, 04:58
Stalker looks sweeeeeeeet!

Dont forget Metroid prime 3.

Dark Soul
21st December 2006, 05:06
Spore is the first game on the list...
Ah crap,i need new glasses -o.o-.

O yeah,I know it's not a game but you should put Hidden B5 in there :D.

Kira Yamato
21st December 2006, 05:19
Armored Core 4 isn't on the list and that game is going to rip both the PS3 and Xbox 360 gaming community a new arse.

Cyborg
21st December 2006, 05:39
im excited about smash bros. hopefully the new mario is better than sunshine.

starstriker1
21st December 2006, 05:42
Why the HELL isn't supreme commander on that list? :P

Isolation
21st December 2006, 05:44
Armored Core 4 isn't on the list and that game is going to rip both the PS3 and Xbox 360 gaming community a new arse.

Danke. One should never overlook Armored Core.

And the new Mario (Universe or Galaxy or some such space themed name) will probably be a Wiimote flagship title. Expect lots of motion sensor use.

Kira Yamato
21st December 2006, 05:59
Why do Armored Core side stories suck so much? Like Nexus was good, but Silent Line, Nine Breaker, and Last Raven suck something fierce.

Isolation
21st December 2006, 06:09
I suspect it was always one of two things: Different teams or they were milking their at-the-time current engines. Master of Arena was the last side story game I played. After that, I waited for each "true" game.

neebo
21st December 2006, 08:11
While many here may not like it, World of Warcraft Expansion is due out jan 2007

Kira Yamato
21st December 2006, 08:25
Thats an expansion not a game...

Cheesey
21st December 2006, 08:58
Oh yeah, can't awayt some of them!

You've forgotten Sacred 2, maybe it will be a nice game too! :)

What's about the Duke? ROFL

Euphoria
21st December 2006, 10:08
Ah crap,i need new glasses -o.o-.

O yeah,I know it's not a game but you should put Hidden B5 in there :D.

You seem uncannily certain about beta 5....

Gusdor
21st December 2006, 10:09
Give me Spore, Bioshock and Burnout 5 (sounds pretty nifty imo) and ill be happy

Night Raider
21st December 2006, 10:39
Why the HELL isn't supreme commander on that list? :P
Sup Comm is probably the biggest and prettiest RTS out there, it must not be overlooked!

I'd add Medal of Honor : Airborne, the PC version of Jade Empire (Special Edition), Alan Wake, and Lost Planet.

Alt
21st December 2006, 10:42
Jimmeh says if we are smarter (Ging'll be nicer ;)) but also santa will 'deliver' us B5.

Paegus
21st December 2006, 10:55
Assassin's Creed (play as an Islamic assassin during the crusades, with a rumored sci-fi twist)

rumoured shumoured... youtube: assassin's creed xbox (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbYiV4IiWeI)

watch the end...

Mayhem
21st December 2006, 11:11
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

Been waiting for it few years now.

Sil
21st December 2006, 11:16
Reaper. They're mocking your "PUBIC" beta. Read that word slowly. PUBIC BETA. Read it, laugh, and fix.

C'mon!

And, yeh. Spore. Man, am I actually looking forward to thta. Fuck the rest, Spore looks ace.

Euphoria
21st December 2006, 14:16
Last year I waited through Christmas for Oblivion. This year its Spore, and I sure hope it keeps my interest longer than the month Oblivion kept. I want to create a killer Jimmeh!

QReaper
21st December 2006, 17:50
And, yeh. Spore. Man, am I actually looking forward to thta. Fuck the rest, Spore looks ace.
Oh yeah, if that game comes out in my life time, I will have achieved Zen state.

In response to supreme commander: Because the beta sucked ass.

starstriker1
21st December 2006, 19:19
A unbalanced, unpolished beta is not a good indication of the end product. :P

Also, the beta is currently full of tons of bugs. Including ones that stop me from even playing a match. >_>

Ging
21st December 2006, 19:20
In response to supreme commander: Because the beta sucked ass.

BURN THE HERETIC! *lights torches and hands out pitchforks*

starstriker1
21st December 2006, 19:22
I've got the wooden stakes and holy water!

hutch
21st December 2006, 19:32
Ohhhhh!
Can I get on this wagon?
Pls?

QReaper
21st December 2006, 19:53
BURN THE HERETIC! *lights torches and hands out pitchforks*
When I have a giant fucking robot, it shouldn't get taken down by three tech level two assault tanks.:mad:

So fuck Supreme Commander, the 25 rounds that I played all ended by average units decimating half of either my or my enemies bases, and air units are worthless.

Ging
21st December 2006, 19:59
You sir, are quite blatantly a nub :p

Noir
21st December 2006, 20:01
Not sure i can be excited by the Beta of Halo. I'm gunna imagine it'll cost to be public, and i bet it won't be cheap. But then, if it's a laugh, it might be worth it. (I remeber signing up to fileplanet for that planetside beta all those years agao, and the many hours waiting for the servers to come back up!)

Although i just read a true new pokemon this spring summer. Huzzah! :) A reason to dig out the DS!

Looking forward to conan, and warhammer, altho, i've seen very little of them, bit too quiet for a 2007 release perhaps? Tabula Rasa looked sweet as well.

I'm hoping that there's going to be something good to play on my 360, cos atm, nothing jumps out.

GrimReaper84
21st December 2006, 20:06
You forgot Supreme Commander. Chris Taylor, Experimental Super Units & Nukes.

Nuff said.

Isolation
21st December 2006, 20:24

*Looks up at Avatar* Damn it, here I am perfectly equipped and I miss out on some heretic burning...

Mr. Bottomhat
21st December 2006, 20:46
www.darkfallonline.com

The only MMO that seems worth shit. Hopefully the clan beta (I've got a spot!!!!!111) will come Soon(tm).

The site is down now, maybe it's a sign *bite nails*

Damn, 1998 had it all, like half of the games I regularly play are form then. Half-life, Starcraft, Myth: The Fallen Lords, SWAT 3...

Demented
21st December 2006, 20:52
When I have a giant fucking robot, it shouldn't get taken down by three tech level two assault tanks.:mad:

So fuck Supreme Commander, the 25 rounds that I played all ended by average units decimating half of either my or my enemies bases, and air units are worthless.

I'm going to assume the "giant fucking robot" is the Supreme Commander, and not the massive Cybran spider bot they like to show off in the trailers.

Nub!

starstriker1
21st December 2006, 21:47

So, lemme get this straight.

Because you've played a beta build, where the game and unit balance is guaranteed to be off, and subject to radical change before release... you're writing off the game?

I suggest you look up the word beta, and study it until your eyes bleed, because you obviously haven't got the god damned concept!!!

Kira Yamato
21st December 2006, 21:53

My giant robot is better then yours!!!!

QReaper
21st December 2006, 22:20
Fine, fuck it then. Last time I express an opinion about something.

Demented
21st December 2006, 22:30
Because you've played a beta build, where the game and unit balance is guaranteed to be off, and subject to radical change before release... you're writing off the game?

If he IS referring to the Supreme Commander, that part of balance probably won't change much, assuming it's anything like TA. The giant robot is just a glorified construction unit.

Though, if it has anything like the D-gun, it should be more than capable of handling anything in sight.

starstriker1
21st December 2006, 22:52
From my understanding, the supreme commander isn't a combat unit for anything but the initial part of the game, and is instead something you do your utmost to keep out of combat. From watching the beta forums, though, I've noticed that the supreme commander's upgrades and settings go through changes often, so its not inconcievable that it'll be given some late game upgrades that let it hold it's own.

neebo
21st December 2006, 23:36
Thats an expansion not a game...

And its larger than the original.

Ging
21st December 2006, 23:37
You really don't need upgrades for the SupCom - the experimental units can demolish nearly anything that gets in there way, they're nightmares to take down!

It certainly can't (at least, not when I last played the beta) take down an experimental or very large groups of even tech 2 units.

starstriker1
22nd December 2006, 03:08
Since they fixed the bug where the game didn't play well with my antivirus, I'll be able to play. I'm reinstalling as we speak. :D

MWAHAHAH!

I'm going to get owned.

Gusdor
22nd December 2006, 10:34
I want to play - i loved TA :(

Ging
22nd December 2006, 10:35
My first game was embarrassingly shortly - I was meandering along, making happy fun level 3 siege units, watching him build a small-ish force on radar. I'm thinking "ahha, I've got about the same number of units, this should be fine!" - until they come into view and there's a huge experimental unit stomping along with them (big old spider) - killed everything in it's path and reduced my SupCom to bubbling scrap in about a second.

starstriker1
22nd December 2006, 15:24
Well, I've been playing a few sandbox games. HOPEFULLY, I understand the economy enough to not have a huge production bottleneck. I've yet to play an actual match.

Gusdor
22nd December 2006, 16:35
Well, I've been playing a few sandbox games. HOPEFULLY, I understand the economy enough to not have a huge production bottleneck. I've yet to play an actual match.
from the tutorial videos ive seen the 'economy' seems just like the one found in TA. The subtle change to the usual resource system (making it realtime) instead of batch is awesome imo

starstriker1
22nd December 2006, 17:41
I'm aware of the similarities to TA. Problem is, I've never played that game. :P

Ging
22nd December 2006, 23:38
Production bottle neck isn't a major problem, as long as you're aware that you can shove your level 3 power plants down anywhere and not just on the big electric signs on the map (which is what I thought in my first game).

Sandbox rapidly taught me differently and I enjoyed spending half an hour waiting for the smallest experimental to build, even with 10 c-bots working on it! :D

starstriker1
23rd December 2006, 05:17
I'm finding it very tough to get a lot of building construction going, especially where tier 3 equipment is concerned. I don't think I'm being aggressive enough at getting mass extractors up and running.

I may also be putting too many engineers on building orders.

Energy production is a bit easier to handle, of course.

Ging
23rd December 2006, 08:25
I found that once I had sufficient energy, I used mass converters to make mass from energy - their output is just so huge that it's worth the dent in the energy.

Felf
23rd December 2006, 14:35
urg, i keep getting trounced by easy enemy. I build up my base, and turtle, so even with shield generators etc, they just whack a bunch of artillery on me; i quickly run out of mass (can never get enough mass in, and trying to build converters is fruitless, cos my base is never big enough to house enough power generators, and when i try to build new, they get artilleried ), and die horribly. :( Man, i can't wait for the game proper to come out; first thing I do will be all the tutorials and the campaign on easy ^^. Also, for the game to run smoothly I have to run it on lowest settings :(

Demented
23rd December 2006, 21:54
There's only one solution to that: Build faster and expand more. =P

Or, in TA (I don't know about SupCom), incinerate a forest for extra room.

QReaper
23rd December 2006, 22:40
Sorry to interrupt, but can anyone tell me something? Why the HELL has Wright not shown anything about the Cell stage at all since 2005?
http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/games/pc/spore/spore_001.jpg

starstriker1
23rd December 2006, 23:42
I found that once I had sufficient energy, I used mass converters to make mass from energy - their output is just so huge that it's worth the dent in the energy.

I haven't been making good use of those... how do you suggest the power overhead be handled? Put a T2 generator beside each T2 converter, etc?

Need to mess about with that.

starstriker1
23rd December 2006, 23:43
There's only one solution to that: Build faster and expand more. =P

Or, in TA (I don't know about SupCom), incinerate a forest for extra room.

Nah. You can reclaim trees and rocks for additional mass... besides, I think you can build over that stuff without any hassle.

Demented
24th December 2006, 00:37
In TA you could only reclaim energy from trees, and slowly.
Reclaiming wreckage and unwanted units and buildings was so much more fun.

Ging
24th December 2006, 00:39
Throw down T3 power plants - 2 will provide more than ample power for a single T3 mass converter (if you want to have spare energy to play around with). I never bothered with T2 converters, their output just wasn't worth the energy loss at that point.

Construction units clear trees before they start building, but their mass isn't worth it once you get beyond about your second unit.

Q - probably because there isn't much more to say right now, the 2005 stuff is all early prototype code. I expect you'll hear more when previews of more final code start hitting over the next few months (depending on when it's actually finished.)

starstriker1
24th December 2006, 00:56
If I'm not mistaken, isn't the spore section of the game basically just a tutorial for the player? It wouldn't be that important to show off, in that sense...

QReaper
24th December 2006, 01:54
Aye, but I've wanted to see the uses of that proboscis for over a year now, if only to see it in action.:(

starstriker1
24th December 2006, 03:40
Aw, damnit. GPGNet obviously hates me. It either refuses to let me connect ("Durr... I don't remember your beta key this time"), disconnects promptly after or during checking for supreme commander updates, or refuses to let me actually host or join a game.

I've had zero luck getting ANYTHING going today.

Gusdor
24th December 2006, 11:07
Aye, but I've wanted to see the uses of that proboscis for over a year now, if only to see it in action.:(
And ive wanted to see more of those fluid dynamics

QReaper
24th December 2006, 17:39
And ive wanted to see more of those fluid dynamics
If you take both your, and my statements out of context, it could be a horribly dirty thing to say. But you probably meant to say that, didn't you?;)

Klo
24th December 2006, 22:08
Probably been mentioned... UT2k7?

hutch
24th December 2006, 22:15
Probably been mentioned... UT2k7?
OMFG SECKS
I might actually steal a phys card for that game.

Gusdor
24th December 2006, 22:19
OMFG SECKS
I might actually steal a phys card for that game.
why?

Robin Williams playing Spore - http://comedy.peekvid.com/s2213/e16610/

hutch
25th December 2006, 05:53
why?

Robin Williams playing Spore - http://comedy.peekvid.com/s2213/e16610/
I prefer to shoot the fuck out of my issues, not evolve into a larger creature and destroy them.

Kira Yamato
25th December 2006, 07:42
I prefer to shoot the fuck out of my issues, not evolve into a larger creature and destroy them.

I prefer to slice it to pieces, then slam a few magical arrows in to it, or punch it trough with a beam rifle blast. Depending on which ever weapons are available .

Gusdor
25th December 2006, 08:26
I meant why do you need a phys card?

Demented
25th December 2006, 08:33
Only if they come out with a PhysX2 "This time it's not sucky" Version.

Kira Yamato
25th December 2006, 08:37
I meant why do you need a phys card?

The Unreal 2k7 engine is tied to the PhysX card.

Boxy
25th December 2006, 09:33
The Unreal 2k7 engine is tied to the PhysX card.

It will quite happily run without one. PhysX cards blow, their days are numbered (did they even ever really take off?). The stuff Nvidia can do on the GFX card that can outdo the PhysX is amazing, and I believe what we saw at GDC was single core usage, now with dual core GFX cards PhysX is left out in the cold to my mind. Feel free to come back at me with some information I didn't have and make me feel meek...

Ging
25th December 2006, 12:31
Of course, people use to say roughly the same thing about "pointless" graphics accelerators! :D

Gusdor
25th December 2006, 13:18
True Ging. Although, there are also many revelutionary standards that have failed in the passed. Beta Max, Zipdisk, Blu Ray (/giggle - what a joke).

It will quite happily run without one. PhysX cards blow, their days are numbered (did they even ever really take off?). The stuff Nvidia can do on the GFX card that can outdo the PhysX is amazing, and I believe what we saw at GDC was single core usage, now with dual core GFX cards PhysX is left out in the cold to my mind. Feel free to come back at me with some information I didn't have and make me feel meek...
Im backing this statement, the Havok PS2.0 stuff was immense

Ging
25th December 2006, 15:21
True Ging. Although, there are also many revelutionary standards that have failed in the passed. Beta Max, Zipdisk, Blu Ray (/giggle - what a joke).

Erm, zipdisk didn't fail and is still in use at some places today, not just generally in the commercial market.

I'll also point out that physics cards are quite different from storage formats, now I'm not exactly their biggest fan - but I am intrigued to see if they'll take off given more generations of design / development (remember, the first uptake of 3D accelerators was slim because nothing needed them, everything they could do the CPU did just as well and they were massively expensive - remind you of anything?)

Saying that it's dead after a single release - especially when PhysX is appearing in a fair few titles of late - seems a tad naieve to me. Sure, the Havok stuff is impressive, but you'll still need a beast of a gpu to get the most out of it.

starstriker1
25th December 2006, 17:21
Its far too early to tell.

Of course, what's needed is another Quake3. If I remember correctly, it was the first hotly anticipated game that REQUIRED a graphics card...

Gusdor
25th December 2006, 17:39
Erm, zipdisk didn't fail and is still in use at some places today, not just generally in the commercial market.

I'll also point out that physics cards are quite different from storage formats, now I'm not exactly their biggest fan - but I am intrigued to see if they'll take off given more generations of design / development (remember, the first uptake of 3D accelerators was slim because nothing needed them, everything they could do the CPU did just as well and they were massively expensive - remind you of anything?)

Saying that it's dead after a single release - especially when PhysX is appearing in a fair few titles of late - seems a tad naieve to me. Sure, the Havok stuff is impressive, but you'll still need a beast of a gpu to get the most out of it.
By all means, im not saying it has failed, just that its not made the best of starts. It seems to have too many requirements. The extra PCI-e slot for start. Then developers need to support it, then people have to buy it. The games showcasing it will need to be big enough to really grab interest and for that you need big funding and, supporting a fledgling piece of hardware (perhaps exclusively and with requirement) is a risky move.

Graphics cards got big because every game requires graphics. In one form or another. There has to be a visual component for it to happen. Physics, whilst awesome, do not 'make' the game.

There a feature list showcasing what PhysX is capable of anywhere?

Demented
25th December 2006, 21:33

Of course, what's needed is another Quake3. If I remember correctly, it was the first hotly anticipated game that REQUIRED a graphics card...

For some reason I always believed that title belonged to Half-Life.
Though it doesn't seem to. Maybe it just was one of the first to benefit from them.

While I expect physics acceleration to get big (destructible environments en masse, eh? Nobody can resist that!), I don't expect it to be in the form of PhysX. Anyone who can afford a physics card can afford a GPU beefy enough to handle Havok.

...It'd be neat to see Half-Life 2 get updated to support physics hardware. If only because Valve will naturally screw up the game's physics for the next month afterwards. =P

Isolation
25th December 2006, 21:36

Soldier of Fortune required a graphics card. I think that was out before Quake 3, and was running off of Quake 1 (but hella modded). Q3 was a showcase for the new Voodoo's that were coming out... (rummages through old PCG issues)

hutch
25th December 2006, 21:50
Silly fool, if I'm not paying then why would I care?

Red
25th December 2006, 23:55
2007 is going to be a good year for movies too.

Sin City 2
Splinter Cell
Spiderman 3
28 Weeks Later
Pirates OC 3
I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With (?)
Shreak the Third
Evan Almighty
Harry Potter and Another Crazy Movie
Rush Hour 3 (woo Jackie Chan!)
The Bourne Ultimatum
Beowulf (:O)
AvP2 (BETTER BE BETTER THAN THE FIRST)
Ninja TurtlesOMGGSRGLKHDLKJGHSDHGLSGHSGDGS:) :) :)

Gusdor
26th December 2006, 00:23
For some reason I always believed that title belonged to Half-Life.
Though it doesn't seem to. Maybe it just was one of the first to benefit from them.

While I expect physics acceleration to get big (destructible environments en masse, eh? Nobody can resist that!), I don't expect it to be in the form of PhysX. Anyone who can afford a physics card can afford a GPU beefy enough to handle Havok.

...It'd be neat to see Half-Life 2 get updated to support physics hardware. If only because Valve will naturally screw up the game's physics for the next month afterwards. =P
I ran Halflife in software before rushing to the stores to buy a geforce 2 :P

Soldier of Fortune was after Quake 3 but used the Quake 2 Engine

Soldier of Fortune: http://uk.cheats.gamespy.com/dreamcast/soldier-of-fortune/
Quake 3: http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/quake-iii-arena/

Full 2 years difference - What Raven did with the Quake 2 engine was pretty outstanding imo.

-<<SyycK>>-
26th December 2006, 02:27
I'm hoping some work gets done on the FireFly MMO (if its even real) and Natural Selection 2 (Drools).

Red
26th December 2006, 05:09
I'm hoping some work gets done on the FireFly MMO (if its even real) and Natural Selection 2 (Drools).

Gorramit, I love Serenity etc so much it's not even funny. But right now I'm really hating this because I created a universe so much like Joss' in my own head that I wanted to make into a movie and an MMO. It's seriously scary how much they have common, from characters to style and general feel/tone of the story.

I also wrote a few chapters about a demon hunter... a lot like Angel. wtf.

Isolation
26th December 2006, 07:37
I ran Halflife in software before rushing to the stores to buy a geforce 2 :P

Soldier of Fortune was after Quake 3 but used the Quake 2 Engine

Soldier of Fortune: http://uk.cheats.gamespy.com/dreamcast/soldier-of-fortune/
Quake 3: http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/quake-iii-arena/

Full 2 years difference - What Raven did with the Quake 2 engine was pretty outstanding imo.

That was Quake 2? I always thought it was 1, or at least a 1 and 2 hybrid like Half-Life...

Either way, good to know.

Oh, and as far as dates: GameSpot says Dec. 2nd, 1999 for Quake 3 and Feb. 29th, 2000 for SoF. You have the Dreamcast version of SoF mentioned in that link.

Demented
26th December 2006, 08:40

Firefly MMO? What!?

Isolation
26th December 2006, 08:50
Firefly MMO? What!?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162937.html?q=Firefly

Ging
26th December 2006, 12:59
supporting a fledgling piece of hardware (perhaps exclusively and with requirement) is a risky move.

The PhysX SDK is (still to the best of my knowledge) free for use as long as you include support for the card - which actually minimises cost requirements and allows for continued "software" support (as found in games in terms of graphics accelerators)

You say that GPUs took off because graphics are 'needed', I'll point out that it's a two horse race these days and phsyics are the next big thing to be worked on (not having physics is like not supporting 3d hardware these days). What PhysX does have going for it is that it's been seen 'out in the wild' while Havok have only shown off their stuff at industry shows and then gone quiet!

Gusdor
26th December 2006, 13:05
Tsi true, the dude Tom promised there would be stuff out for people ot see and a free SDK for the PS2.0 stuff. I should email him again and ask :)

Noir
27th December 2006, 10:16
i'd rather have my graphics card fully availble to support all the new graphical featres tbh, which is why i could see a physics card as a viable option. I'd rather not have to turn off feautres or drop my res, just to make my physics work a bit better.

And its the same as everything, if they don't release it before 7 years down the line, they won't be infront of anyone else anymore. Meh, either way, i wouldn;t want tospend extra for it, be it on the graphics or a seperate card...