PDA

View Full Version : Iso's Tutorials - Wall Crawl

Isolation
19th December 2006, 21:04
You read that right. Wall Crawl. It's been discussed and shot down in the past by the devs, and for good reason. It'd complicate the control scheme and make the game feel too AvP-ish to name a few reasons. However... any half decent mapper could easily add a similar effect to his or her maps. It can have many useful applications if used properly.

What you'll need:
-Walls
--brushes with the "ladder" texture
---Clip brushes tied to "marine_clip"

How to do it:
Build a ladder brush to cover the surface of any wall. It's up to you. Make the ladder brush 1 unit thick (so it's as close to the wall as possible). Then, you basically encase the exposed portions of the ladder brush with the marine_clip, so as to prevent IRIS from using it. The marine_clip brushes should be a minimum of 3 units thick (I tested with 1 unit thick, IRIS was still able to mount the ladder, but not climb. 3 kept them from mounting all together). The best method would be to place wall crawl sections out of IRIS accessibility. Also, it would not hurt to use a texture behind the wall crawl section to let players know it's usable... but that's up to a mapper.

Problems: Well, two that are obvious. First is that while moving around, 617 still makes ladder climbing noises. Also, you can't pounce off a ladder. Another issue that's actually a good thing is that stamina does not recharge while crawling.

Download .vmf here: http://www.savefile.com/files/351055

Paegus
19th December 2006, 21:36
hmm i do that to pipes i want the hidden to be able to climb up turbo-zombie style.

but being unable to pounce off them is too much of a trade-off

Isolation
19th December 2006, 21:41
Well, you can jump off which is almost as good. If you could pounce it'd be way too abusable.

Kira Yamato
19th December 2006, 23:44
There is a good reason the hidden can't wall crawl. He has no claws.

Paegus
19th December 2006, 23:52
yet he can stick to walls? curious that...

Isolation
20th December 2006, 00:03
That's why I mentioned using a specific texture for cling areas. You know, the old skool "loose rock/brick wall being climbable" video game excuse.

Demented
20th December 2006, 00:10
yet he can stick to walls? curious that...

Teeth! He uses his teeth! Damn it people, pay attention!
It's why he can't climb. You ever tried to climb with your jaw?

Dark Soul
20th December 2006, 00:26
Here is the idea i had for Zerglings in Starcraft:Source (now dead :()

The hidden,being the acrobat that he his can run up walls but not ceilings(I don't think its possible to run on ceiling no matter how fast you run.)
Once the hidden stops moving he sticks his knife into the wall,letting him stick to it for 3 sec's then he falls off.

Seeing as my ideas always get shot down,i like the idea of using ladders to make it seem like your crawling on the wall.The only problem is,how would you stop the ladder sound from playing when your crawling on the wall?

Demented
20th December 2006, 00:58
"The only problem is,how would you stop the ladder sound from playing when your crawling on the wall?"

Two words: Pester Ging.

=D

Paegus
20th December 2006, 01:16
i asked for a special hidden-only ladder brush ages ago. it got noed.

Fluffy
20th December 2006, 02:25
"The only problem is,how would you stop the ladder sound from playing when your crawling on the wall?"

Two words: Pester Ging.

=D

One person spamming Ging just gets them banned from the forums. every mapper for hidden spamming Ging results in a game change... isnt life amazing like that?

Zabiela
20th December 2006, 02:52
One person vandalises a store- gets arrested.

Mob vandalises store - free tv's!!!!

Knigh7s
20th December 2006, 03:04
hmm, thats actually a pretty nice idea! can u get a demo of this actually working? I'd probably like to use it on my hdn_biohazard map... maybe

Isolation
20th December 2006, 05:26
I put the vmf up so people can compile and see for themselves how they work. Since a demo would require the map anyway... you see where I am going. I had never got fraps working right, so unfortunately that's not a possibility.

Perhaps one of these gents feels up to that particular challenge.

Cheesey
20th December 2006, 08:38
hmm, thats actually a pretty nice idea! can u get a demo of this actually working? I'd probably like to use it on my hdn_biohazard map... maybe

Do you still have this map? Can you give me a link to download it?

Fluffy
20th December 2006, 18:51
I put the vmf up so people can compile and see for themselves how they work. Since a demo would require the map anyway... you see where I am going. I had never got fraps working right, so unfortunately that's not a possibility.

Perhaps one of these gents feels up to that particular challenge.

use the command for recording a movie in console. open up the demo then type startmovie (name) 30 avi* and use stopmovie when you're done and you'll have yourself a recorded AVI video in no time (or in an eternity if you have a bad GFX card). since you have that new hard drive and all you should have PLEANTY of space for this AVI file... depending on how long it is.

*correct me if the order of the command is out of order