PDA

View Full Version : Iso's Tutorials - Mobile Decoy

Isolation
19th December 2006, 20:03
A small trick I developed while building Mobscene, I figured I'd share it.

What you'll need:
-Any prop. It can be a phys prop model (prop_physics, etc), or a brush based
physbox. I'll be using the Jimmeh prop for this tutorial.
--1 env_steam

How to do it:
First, set up your env_steam. You can fiddle with settings as you see fit, but
here's what I use:

Initial State: On
Particle Type: Heat Wave
Spread Speed: 4
Speed: 8
Particle Start Size: 2
Particle End Size: 3
Emission Rate: 5
Color (R G B): 255 255 255
Length of steam jet: 80
Translucency: 255
How fast does the particles spin: 8

Place the env_steam anywhere around the model. I like to have them straight up, but you can put them at the sides of a model or however you want them. Next, name your phys object (in this case, I've simply used "jimmeh"). Then parent the env_steam to the object in question. And... that's it. Almost too simple. Note that it helps to have your object set to "use preferred carry angles", if possible, so that when you pick it us as 617 it rights itself.

Problems: None that I know of, outside of having the object land in such a way to make it useless (and thus having to pick it up and try again). I noticed no real impact as far as framerate or playability. The Mobile Decoy is probably about as system intensive as the stationary steam vents in most Hidden: Source maps.

Download .vmf here: http://www.savefile.com/files/351048

Zabiela
19th December 2006, 20:16
I love it.

Cheesey
20th December 2006, 07:14
I'm no mapper, but did I get it right: that's the manual to "steam" props? :rolleyes:

Demented
20th December 2006, 07:19
Yup.

Make env_steam.
Make prop or physbox.
Parent steam to prop or physbox.
Rejoice.

Isolation
20th December 2006, 07:38
Even with the H:S mapping community growing, I still had not seen anyone place the mobile decoy in a map, so I figured I'd post and hopefully get people thinking a bit more out of the HL2/CSS box.

Luckily, Boxy is on the same page, I believe (as far as doing things "differently" in future maps).

Felf
20th December 2006, 10:46
this could work really well if you could tie the end of a vent to a wall (ie. have a rubber-like vent that swings about and can be directed). I can't see how it could be realisticlly used in /other/ ways though :/

Zabiela
20th December 2006, 18:39
this could work really well if you could tie the end of a vent to a wall (ie. have a rubber-like vent that swings about and can be directed). I can't see how it could be realisticlly used in /other/ ways though :/

Jimmeh is mad, steam comes from his ears.

Felf
20th December 2006, 22:11
waaaahw... *look of awe*... That's pretty damned amazeful.

Demented
20th December 2006, 22:24
Mobile smokescreen!

You could make a throwable knife too... =P

Isolation
20th December 2006, 23:09
Not smoke. Heat Wave, you know the distorted air look. The things noobs spend 50+ rounds shooting at before someone tells them it's just a vent.

All possible offense to noobs :D

Zabiela
20th December 2006, 23:12
The thing is, being able to move it in an unsuspecting spot will hopefully catch some vets off guard.

Demented
20th December 2006, 23:44
Not smoke. Heat Wave, you know the distorted air look. The things noobs spend 50+ rounds shooting at before someone tells them it's just a vent.

I meant smokescreen.
If smoke didn't react poorly with the refraction, it'd make an even more excellent tool for covering your escape and generally blinding IRIS. Alas...

Cheesey
21st December 2006, 08:35

ROFL that will be soooo funny!!! :D :D :D! Just put it behind a crate or something so jimmeh wouldnt be seen... GO FOR IT; I LOVE YOUR IDEA!

I meant smokescreen.
If smoke didn't react poorly with the refraction, it'd make an even more excellent tool for covering your escape and generally blinding IRIS. Alas...

Don't you think it's too CS:S style? ;)

But a burning jimmeh would also be freakin awesome! Scary... "your next"

Euphoria
24th December 2006, 13:50
But a burning jimmeh would also be freakin awesome! Scary... "your next"

Tell you what would be funny, if said flaming Jimmeh touched Iris the Iris caught fire, and could pass it onto any Iris camping next to or on top of him as well:D . And if the entire team was camping next to each other, and they started run about wildly in a cramped space due to a few other people on fire, and they all ended up burning....

Flamin Jimmeh did 100 dmg to Noob1 in 88 hits
Flamin Jimmeh did 100 dmg to Noob2 in 88 hits
Flamin Jimmeh did 100 dmg to Noob3 in 88 hits
Flamin Jimmeh did 100 dmg to Noob4 in 88 hits
etc....

Of course, if the Hidden picked up flamin Jimmeh he wouldn't catch fire, or if he touched an Iris. One of the chemicals that they tested on him was a chemical that made him flame retardent.

EDIT: I hope no one takes this as a serious suggestion...

Oakley
24th December 2006, 14:52

I resent that!
I keep shooting those damn things...and I even do it in my own map...
..I think I need help!

Isolation
24th December 2006, 17:10
I'm not sure if I should apologize, or make you a case-in-point ;)

Nah, it's all in jest.

Cheesey
27th December 2006, 12:04
It's just genious! I placed it under stairs, behind windows, crates, barrels or just behind a corner! Looks awesome, that will be fun! :D :D

BTW, maybe you can hide this super-jimmeh randomly, so you have to look for it before using it. I've read there is a way to do so.... so 5 or more places... ;)