PDA

View Full Version : Still got illegal alias

Felf
17th December 2006, 09:05
Yo, a while back everyone was moaning about a problem with "illegal alias" and how it gots them banned... Well I tried the fixes specified in the previous thread, and I stills can't get it working. Is it worth me downloading the Source SDK Base (I'm currently running off HL2:DM) ? If not, is there another easy fix?

Boxy
17th December 2006, 09:19
Is it worth me downloading the Source SDK Base

Even if it didn't fix the problem of alias (which I've never got, I don't even know what this error is) you will need the Source SDK Base for the next release and all other mods you ever play for HL2 anyways, so you may as well grab it.

chilly
17th December 2006, 10:55
Why have they suddenly made that a requirement? It seems a bit crap to me. What happened to game+mod=playable ?

Kira Yamato
17th December 2006, 11:48
Why have they suddenly made that a requirement? It seems a bit crap to me. What happened to game+mod=playable ?

Valve broke it...

Paegus
17th December 2006, 14:16
i think he's referring to the need to use the sdk base instead of hl2 for most 3rd party mods. and i don't think it'll be an absolute requirement unless they re-code it so that it simply wont work on any executable other than the sdk base's since Half-Life2's hl2.exe hasn't been updated in a while, while the source sdk base's hl2.exe has been, along with most of the other multi-player oriented game's hl2.exes.
i've never really understood what they were thinking with the way they redesigned the mod system from hl1's. they should really have kept 1 all-encompassing se.exe or something and then just used the same virtual file-system they employ now for actual games and any mods for said games. that way the various bin folders and such will be shared (they're virtually identical as is anyway) and waste less space. and there's only 1 engine to update instead of having a group of people using one exec that doesn't get updated as much (Half-Life 2's hl2.exe) and another group that has been updated a bit more frequently (Half-Life 2 Deathmatch's hl2.exe) and however many others happen to be usable by various people playing source mods (sdk base's hl2.exe)

the only real reason is that since functionality > valve, if they do manage to un-break something in one game (say Half-Life 2) they can leave it as is so despite their breaking things in other games, that one instance at least still works.

Zabiela
17th December 2006, 15:42
Under the hl2 steamappid, I get "unable to load svc_serverinfo" kick.
Under the SDKbase app id, I get illegal alias.

Woo, whee.

Felf
18th December 2006, 20:46
blah blah blah some bad stuff (sorry I couldn't be arsed to go back and actually get what you said, because i'm lazy and don't understand things like "ctrl+c" :p )

lol, sux2beyou ;)

OK then, I'll download the SDK base if I must. What a waste of my time