PDA

View Full Version : Valve..... VALVE!!!!!!

Zabiela
15th December 2006, 19:10
I had no idea they could down their servers and prevent me from opening any steam application. Right now im getting "Steam is having trouble connecting to the Steam servers", and the steampowered forums dont work, so im guessing theyre doing unnanounced maintenance or something.

But all I want to do is use the sdk, and im starting to get seriously pissed off at valve. First friends stops working, then i start getting kicked from my own servers, then i couldnt load custom maps, now i cant even frikin open steam.
Jesus christ, valve, quit fucking up.

QReaper
15th December 2006, 19:12
Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem...

NiZ0
15th December 2006, 19:13
I'm having the same problem :mad:

QReaper
15th December 2006, 19:14
Just read this on another forum:

A major power black-out has brought the master Steam-servers down. Therefor you are currently unabled to connect with the Steam-network, and thus unabled to play The Ship in multiplayer.
They won't bring the network back up before the storm is over, so I suggest you find something else to do this evening ^^

Zabiela
15th December 2006, 19:16
GAH I WAS GONNA SPEND ALL DAY MAPPING!!! NOES! :mad:

waRp^
15th December 2006, 19:28
i have no problems connecting to steam, but there arent many people to play with :/

Isolation
15th December 2006, 19:31
There's nothing better than waking up, all ready to map and finding out you can't. Huzzah.

Zabiela
15th December 2006, 19:34
Theres no way to get the sdk without using steam?

This means all i have to play is gran turismo 4.

Isolation
15th December 2006, 19:41
Valve one day decided that Offline mode is evil, and that no user of Steam should be allowed to use it.

But, hark, there were glory days when you could boot up Hammer directly, and play games without having to be logged in.

That, dear children, was the good year.

Zabiela
15th December 2006, 20:31
"There is currently a wide spread power outage in Bellevue/Seattle impacting Steam Server availability. Unfortunately ETA for when the power will be restored is unknown as the power company will only work on restoring it once the storm has eased and the high winds have died down.

Any issues you are experiencing with connecting to Steam are only temporary, as this isn't an end-user issue.

Please check this Forum or Steam News for further updates."

Isolation
15th December 2006, 20:37
GS finally reported on the issue:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163281.html?tag=latestnews;title;1

Zabiela
15th December 2006, 20:58
They keep saying forum access is impossible - its not, its just REALLY slow, like 300 bytes / second slow. I dont know if its the storm or the amount of people flooding it, but i get to read a new page every 5 minutes.

Kira Yamato
15th December 2006, 21:08
This begs the question, why doesn't a company the size of steam have separate back up servers in other places?

Zabiela
15th December 2006, 21:17
Valve really isnt that big of a company. Well by now they might be, but around the peak of hl2 they were still a relatively small team.

Isolation
15th December 2006, 21:20
I should actually probably thank Valve... since I can't map, I can go write for a few hours.

Zabiela
15th December 2006, 21:30
Did you ever see that simpsons episode where tv gets shut off, and all the kids go out in the sun for the first time ever.
Lol, IRL.

Paegus
15th December 2006, 22:20
tell me about it...
though what i find really great is that instead of thinking to itself "oh i can't contact the auth server... i guess i'll start in offline mode then" it thinks "OMG ARRrrrgggg... *" and kills your login data. so even if you wanted to spend the day mapping, you can't even use offline mode... unless you backed up your client blob... not that offline mode would have work anyway you realise.

* : /dies (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516339&goto=newpost)

Demented
15th December 2006, 22:31
I've had success with Offline mode, just so long as there isn't an update to be had.
"A game you don't even play is not up to date, **** you!"

waRp^
15th December 2006, 23:00
someone posted this on and other forum.

To get online you need to start your pc with your connection cable pulled out, and then start offline steam and then put in your cable again. Dunno if it works since i dont have to try it

Demented
15th December 2006, 23:16
You don't even need to start the computer unplugged, at least in my case.
Just yank out the ethernet cable and wait for Windows to go "OMGWTFTHEINTARNETSRSPLODED" (sic). Then start Steam.

Of course, just disabling the proper Network Connection device might work too, but I don't go through life so I can use Microsoft products like I'm intended to!

Zabiela
15th December 2006, 23:18
upon starting steam with my connection off it says, since last time i tried loggin in it failed, i need to be re-authenticated to even be able to use offline mode. Most people are in my situation. If there was warning of this we couldve set up our accounts to work in offline, but its too late.

Demented
15th December 2006, 23:33
The default setting should be auto-login....
And, in any case, now that you know, that shouldn't be a problem. So obviously, it's either some other thing that's the problem, or you have a bad case of littlebrotheritis that makes auto-login unacceptable.

Zabiela
15th December 2006, 23:47
The default setting should be auto-login....
And, in any case, now that you know, that shouldn't be a problem. So obviously, it's either some other thing that's the problem, or you have a bad case of littlebrotheritis that makes auto-login unacceptable.

I dont understand what you understood and are trying to make me understand, understood?

Paegus
15th December 2006, 23:50
yeah but the problem is that you need to know ahead of time whether or not you can connect. if you can't but you try, it'll bounce you off and ask for your password... at which time your clientregistry.blob is fucked and you can't get into offline mode without restoring a previously backed up copy of it...

i made this for my shortcut a while back instead of just running steam directly it backs up the previous .blob files every time so it's just a matter of finding the last working .blobs and restoring them, killing the network, starting steam then waiting for it to whine about offline mode before i plug back in... too bad i'd reformatted and forgotten about it... :(

Zabiela
15th December 2006, 23:53
yeah but the problem is that you need to know ahead of time whether or not you can connect. if you can and you try, it'll bounce you off and ask for your password... at which time your clientregistry.blob is fucked and you can't get into offline mode without restoring a previously backed up copy of it...

luckily i use this for my shortcut instead of just running steam directly...

Please tell me what to do with this. If you get my sdk on my screen, free buttseks.

edit: wait, is it too late?

Demented
16th December 2006, 00:10
I wonder what Steam does if you use someone else's clientregistry.blob to log in offline. <_<

Paegus
16th December 2006, 00:13
I wonder what Steam does if you use someone else's clientregistry.blob to log in offline. <_<

gimme yours and i'll let you know :)

@Zab
yeah it's like sex... unless you already took the precaution ahead of time, you're screwed.

unfortunately taking the precaution eats your drive space... ~900kB at a time../

sorry i'm a wee bit pissed so it probably didn't make much sense despite the edits...

Zabiela
16th December 2006, 00:18
None of us have .bobs, we all got screwed. You have a magic duplicat0r tho.

Paegus
16th December 2006, 00:27
i'd rather have .boobs than either tbh... but all the batch files in the world wont help there :o

i'll leave now before i say something really stupid

Demented
16th December 2006, 00:29
gimme yours and i'll let you know :)

I'm so very tempted. In the name of science and experimentation, of course.
*Jots experiment down for when he's up to the task.*

QReaper
16th December 2006, 00:29
i'll leave now before i say something really stupid
Wee bit late for that.:p

Knigh7s
16th December 2006, 00:34
I dont understand what you understood and are trying to make me understand, understood?

haha, just had Captain Jack Sparrow running that line through my head, I laughed and now everyone in the hall is staring at me! (fyi im at work)

wayta go Zabiela, now everyone thinks im wierd or something!!

anyways, as an offline fix for future purposes, uncheck "keep file up to date" on all steam apps/mods and uncheck auto login. you will have to do some extra steps to login and update your games, but when shit like this happens, at the very least, you can log into offline mode with out much of any problems.

[snearing at the ppl outside my office for looking at me funny/]

Zabiela
16th December 2006, 00:52
This wasnt even an update though, its the server people use to verify their login information is down, so if since yesterday you have logged out of steam, you cant log in anymore, all the games work, and the people who left steam running all night can still play and some are.

-<<SyycK>>-
16th December 2006, 00:56
This begs the question, why doesn't a company the size of steam have separate back up servers in other places?
Or backup generators for that matter, they have em in hospitals... then again thats to save lives no ammuse people

Paegus
16th December 2006, 00:56
not many playing hidden though: http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=hidden2&showEmpty=N

Zabiela
16th December 2006, 00:57
I heard the power went out last night, backup generators had things running untill mid morning today.

QReaper
16th December 2006, 01:48
It's back up bitches!

Fluffy
16th December 2006, 02:06
it really sucks that offline mode wont work after one connection attempt. it's a bitch because I used to use it all the time when i use to have dialup but you lose the ability to log onto steam in offline once you've tried to log on with your internet connection and the login fails... aint valve a bitch?

well i guess i'm mapping for 1.6

thank god I have hammer 3.4 installed!

Isolation
16th December 2006, 02:08
It's back up bitches!

*Starts up Steam... puts in password... gets same error.*

A pox upon thee.

hutch
16th December 2006, 02:26

A pox upon thee.
Poor child....And thankfully I live in oregon, so my speed > your speed.

Zabiela
16th December 2006, 02:31
See? I have all day untill 7 to get whatever computer work done, because my bro gets home from work at 7. AND POOF AT 7 STEAMS BACK ONLINE.\

RRRRGHGHGGH :mad:

Demented
16th December 2006, 02:34
Nobody will notice if your map is released three days later than it otherwise would've been, if you don't declare an actual release date. =P

If only companies like Valve and Blizzard would realize this.

QReaper
16th December 2006, 03:09

A pox upon thee.
Well, you're Steam client sucks. Because mine works fine.

Isolation
16th December 2006, 03:12
Well, you're Steam client sucks. Because mine works fine.

Obligatory spelling fix... GO!

You're = You Are, which would mean I AM a Steam Client. So, you must mean "Your", meaning the Steam Client I use.

/asshole_mode_deactivate

QReaper
16th December 2006, 03:17
Obligatory spelling fix... GO!

You're = You Are, which would mean I AM a Steam Client. So, you must mean "Your", meaning the Steam Client I use.

/asshole_mode_deactivate

Hey, guess what?

Get bent.

Isolation
16th December 2006, 03:42
Hey, guess what?

I don't care. You started the whole thing by insulting me, remember.

Dark Soul
16th December 2006, 03:55
Dose anyone know if there is a file that has my steam password in it?Steam has the most retarded password retrieval system EVER.They fucking ask you what was your password before the one you have now,well how the fuck would i remember that if i can't even remember the password i have now!?:mad:

crans
16th December 2006, 06:05
Lol.

/Password_retrieval_program
Steam Account: D-a-r-k-S-o-u-l
Password:

Error: Please enter password to Initiate password retrieval program

Zabiela
16th December 2006, 07:14
Password retreival requires a password.
Offline mode requires online authentication.

Woo Valve, king of irony.
Valve is getting so much shit talked about them these past weeks.

Demented
16th December 2006, 07:59
Dose anyone know if there is a file that has my steam password in it?
Unfortunately, any such file is probably encrypted, so there's no way you're figuring out what said password is. As for the "previous password" thingy... What they sent you was your "Secret Question". Secret questions are the most absolutely moronic account retrieval thing ever. Of course, most anything can be used effectively with some clever thought, but the base idea is abominable and whoever thought it up needs to be slow roasted over a pit.

Fortunately, God forced the reluctant minds of Valve to at least implement the "Contact us and waste valuable time doing things that could've be easily done automatically" (http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=294) feature.

Sub-Rant:
I know they say not to write down your password... ever... but I'd be more worried about someone stealing my stuff through a keylogger than them hacking into my comp and looking for a fake fanfic with my passwords deftfully hidden inside it. (Especially if it's a really sappy boring fanfic for something like Sailor Moon. Alas, I am not that brilliant.)

Of course, mentioning where you hid your passwords on a public forum doesn't help, but, hah, I am not so bold! Besides, if ever there was something that needed real security, it would require changing passwords.

Paegus
16th December 2006, 08:36
i prefer the ones that let you set your own question and answer...

Q: What school did you go to?
A: Oral

Ging
17th December 2006, 11:16
Or backup generators for that matter, they have em in hospitals... then again thats to save lives no ammuse people

Backup generators only last so long - chances are the data center the steam servers reside in do you have said generators, but they'll only keep going as long as there is a supply of fuel to them.

In a storm severe enough that the power company won't come out to do anything, chances are slim that diesel deliveries are getting anywhere either.

Zabiela
17th December 2006, 15:36
Backup generators only last so long - chances are the data center the steam servers reside in do you have said generators, but they'll only keep going as long as there is a supply of fuel to them.

In a storm severe enough that the power company won't come out to do anything, chances are slim that diesel deliveries are getting anywhere either.

I read on the steam forums that the reason people were playing the night before was because of their backup gens. The power went out in the early evening, service only cut out in the early morning.

Mayhem
17th December 2006, 17:50
Hope someone of you was at #steam the night when the servers were down.

The comments. Ah. The comments. You couldn't get such entertainment anywhere.

Paegus
17th December 2006, 17:56
people ideal in the steam irc channel? even though getting into IRC requires some semblance of deductive reasoning... /shudders...

Mayhem
17th December 2006, 18:01
They muted everyone there and people spammed the ops/voices with pm's.

Pure overrun. People just continued to ask "when will the storm end?" or "When can I play again?"

Or just purely spammed the channel, when mute was taken off.

Dark Soul
17th December 2006, 19:45
F*** Valve,their no help at all!Here is what i wrote in another topic on the steam forums:
-------------
Did you read what i wrote in the other thread?I said the same thing.Valve,what in the world were you thinking?

EDIT*

OK WHAT THE FU*K,THIS IS FU*KING BULL FU*KING XXXX!!!
I sent valve an email asking for my FU*KING password(here is what i wrote)

Do to rerecent network problems,steam required me to give my password to log in,the only problem is i can't remember my password.I tried using the password retrieval system but i don't know the answer to the secret question.I really can't see how i would know the answer.it's asking me for the password that i had before this password,and i don't see how i can remember something thats older then the password that i have now.Any way,it would be nice if you could retrieve my password.

My email is,---
Account name-***
Thank you for your time.

And this is what they sent me back:

'Hello,

We apologize for the recent downtime: Steam authentication servers have been down from late December 14th to December 15th, with intermittent issues affecting a large number of users until approximately 8:30 PM (PST).

If you are still experiencing issues logging into Steam or playing Steam games, please completely exit Steam and delete the following file before attempting to log in again:

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\clientregistry.blob
(For default installations)

If your issue is NOT related to Steam connectivity - or if deleting the clientregistry.blob file does not resolve the issue - please reopen your Steam Support Center ticket to receive further attention.

Again, we apologize for the recent downtime and for any inconvenience it may have caused.

Please let us know if you require further assistance.

Sincerely,

- The Steam Support Team"

Honestly,does Valve even read what you right!?They gave an answer that had nothing to do with my question.

Edit*
Can a forums admin come in here,and maby send me the password.because honestly, I'm think that i should just screw valve for screwing me and just us "other" ways of getting on steam and playing the games that i paid for.

----------------------

FROM NOW ON,IM PLAYING ALL STEAM GAMES FOR FREE :D.

Zabiela
17th December 2006, 19:54
FROM NOW ON,IM PLAYING ALL STEAM GAMES FOR FREE :D.

*pish!

Kira Yamato
17th December 2006, 20:45
Valve is getting so much shit talked about them these past weeks.

How is this different from, say, ever?

Klo
17th December 2006, 21:09
Its a case of people blaming valve for problems that isn't really their fault. Sure they could be more helpful, but I'm sure they have bigger problems to deal with than somebody fogetting their password.

Paegus
17th December 2006, 21:53
as far as i'm aware no one forgot their passwords. however instead of just going to offline mode the thing actively REMOVED your login data so you couldn't even play singleplayer or LAN games.

an ounce of foresight would have made that not happen and maybe 1/3rd of the people who did bitch about it wouldn't because they could make use of the game they paid for... i laugh with irony at people who bought steam games on CD though. staring at the disc in their hands thinking "...the hell where they thinking?"

Dark Soul
17th December 2006, 22:44
Neh,everything is fine now.I'm never gone buy another game from steam,they don't deserve money for their crappy service.Seeing as i can play any game on steam for free,what game should i download,is THE SHIP any good?:p

Zabiela
17th December 2006, 23:21
Neh,everything is fine now.I'm never gone buy another game from steam,they don't deserve money for their crappy service.Seeing as i can play any game on steam for free,what game should i download,is THE SHIP any good?:p

Crappy service?

Steam sucks, but its the shit as far as game delivery and organization go. They messed up with the authentication servers once. Big deal.

Paegus
18th December 2006, 00:00
actually this is the second time it happens. to the day i think...

steam is a great concept though... or rather it will be once they start supplying modders with ways to directly maintain their mods for other steam games. as is it just either wasn't thought through very carefully or they fired the guy who had the original idea and didn't know how to guide it form then on themselves.

Zabiela
18th December 2006, 01:19
Really, HL2 and the SDK are steam's foundation.

Dark Soul
18th December 2006, 02:19
I LOVE Valve,but i hate steam(Valve makes the games,steam runs steam and fucks everything up).If anyone knows who got the idea to make steam please tell me,I want my hate to be more specific.:D

Edit*
I would also like to say that i didn't get any work done this weekend on my map because i was trying to make hammer work in PacSteam.

Kira Yamato
18th December 2006, 09:26
Steam was actually being pushed by Vivendi Universal. Damn French...

crans
18th December 2006, 11:05
*Peels off fake mustache, jumps through window*

I wonder what that was all about...