PDA

View Full Version : Light_spot, helpplz

Zabiela
13th December 2006, 21:31
I cant get this to work. I have a light prop, a point_spotlight, and this light_spot. But ingame only the spotlight and the prop show up, Im not getting any actual light being made.

Brightness 255 252 244 200

Anything else besides the pitch is default. I tried a couple different brightness levels to no effect.

Boxy
13th December 2006, 21:54
I believe you have to have at least one normal 'light' entity in there or otherwise the game only takes on direct lighting or whatever. Just bung a light in a little room by itself for now or somewhere else in your map, see if it makes a difference for you.

Also, light_spots need to be much stronger than light entities as a rule of thumb. A brightness of 200 your light spot wont get very far, maybe try making it stronger like 500. Depends how far away from the hit surface the light is to be honest...

Zabiela
14th December 2006, 00:01
Ok, well I have normal light entities in there.
And also, I started at 300, and went down because I thought maybe the limit was 250. Im going to try it out with 500.

Demented
14th December 2006, 01:19
You need to 'disable shadows' on any prop that you're going to put a light entity into. Otherwise the light can't be projected anywhere.

Zabiela
14th December 2006, 04:31
OK.... no errors in the compile log, map starts up fine, but as soon as I add a bot it crashes to desktop.
Any help?

Maybe its this:

BasePortalVis: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
PortalFlow: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
WARNING: Cluster portals saw into cluster
Optimized: 30 visible clusters (0.00%)

Demented
14th December 2006, 06:16
You need proper spawn and spectator entities.
Forgetting those makes baby Jimmeh cry.

Zabiela
14th December 2006, 07:00
I do have cameras and spawns, but now I know where i went wrong.
In my last modification i removed a big section that contained the hidden spawn, and forgot :P

Thanks

Fluffy
14th December 2006, 19:17
OK.... no errors in the compile log, map starts up fine, but as soon as I add a bot it crashes to desktop.
Any help?

Maybe its this:

BasePortalVis: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
PortalFlow: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
WARNING: Cluster portals saw into cluster
Optimized: 30 visible clusters (0.00%)

This is the description for why this error appears as by interlopers.net compile log error list. most likely your map either has sloppy brushwork or a lot of detail (or both!)

(I think) vbsp.exe has made a concave leaf (or in other ways invalid) that can see into itself. I've also heard about this being caused by overlapping brushes or brushes that are off-grid (thuss causing offgrid visleafs). Allthough i find this unlikely, I am not sure if it isn't, so keep those possibilities open too.

Solution:
The solution is to simplify your leafs (func_detail) as much as possible to avoid this error, but usually (or sometimes) you will find no bad things come from it and your map runs as it should. If you got unexpected low FPS somewhere, this may be the cause. Finding it may be hard, and usually ends up in using cordon tools or just not doing it at all. First look at complicated parts of your map, try to use glview glview to find it.

Zabiela
14th December 2006, 19:24
I have a triangular brush behind a rounded corner detail that is sticking into the adjacent wall a little bit.
My map is working now, except for some reason the player model shadows and phys object shadows have a thin square shadow around their edges, like if the collision frame or model or whatever decided to cast a shadow.

I feel so noob :p
YOU WILL LIKE MY MAP THO, so think of it as long term investment :D
screens in a week or so.

Demented
14th December 2006, 19:50
My map is working now, except for some reason the player model shadows and phys object shadows have a thin square shadow around their edges, like if the collision frame or model or whatever decided to cast a shadow.

Okay, now that you blame Valve for.

Kira Yamato
14th December 2006, 21:36
When in doubt blame valve!

Zabiela
14th December 2006, 21:46
Okay, now that you blame Valve for.

F**K :mad:

Cheesey
15th December 2006, 06:45
LOL... if anything doesn't work, blame valve...

I've just wrote an e-mail to them, cause my fridge broke... :D