PDA

View Full Version : Just banned from FNFC

Isolation
7th December 2006, 21:25
Yep. Isolation, the most un-offensive player has just been banned from his favorite server, FNFC #2.

:rolleyes:

Someone mind telling me what specific command has been changed to be ban worthy so I can remove whatever it is from my config? I got that damn "Illegal alias" message and then the ban. I don't mess with my config, save for key binds, so I have no clue what the offending line is...

Night Raider
7th December 2006, 21:28
Try posting at their forum.

http://www.gofnfc.com/

Isolation
7th December 2006, 21:33
I did, concerning the ban. The purpose of this post was me asking what command Valve changed to warrant random bans. I just entered FNFC 3 without problem.

TheMorris
7th December 2006, 22:08
No idea why this would happen, I will try to check with Dan if he doesn't get to it first.

Knigh7s
7th December 2006, 22:16
Check this Thread out, it could be the excact same issue. (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=7151)

Scuzzy
7th December 2006, 22:26
Are these VAC2 bans or is this something like HLGuard banning people?

Scuzzy

Zabiela
7th December 2006, 22:43
My my, valve has really f'ed up this time. And the only FNFC I can get into is #2. WTFZORZ

Isolation
7th December 2006, 22:43
Check this Thread out, it could be the excact same issue. (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=7151)

Yeah, I read that thread. But I did not see an actual answer to the issue, oustide of someone saying the cl_restrict should be moved to the autoexec.cfg.

EDIT: Tried just removing the cl_restrict_server_command line from my config, did squat. Still get an Illegal Alias message, and I'm banned again from FNFC 2. Congrats, Valve.

EDIT 2: I love finding bugs in Valve updates. I tried swapping the applaunch dealy from 215 back to 220. Aside from doing nothing, running H:S under 220 seems to prevent Steam Friends from working while in-game. Brava.

I'm gonna go write for a bit. Might as well work out my aggression using the written word.

Paegus
7th December 2006, 23:11
if you use 215 you need to set the restrict commands to 0. if you use 220 you can't use friends or host servers but you wont have to worry about illegal aliases.

the ban should be coming from CVar-X and should be temporary.

Isolation
7th December 2006, 23:14
The ban is only 1 minute at a time... I'm gonna try 220 again, since I was still under the ban when last I tried.

I've set cl_restrict_server_commands 0 while under 215 and still got banned.

waRp^
8th December 2006, 12:37
i dont think cl_restict work anymore i get it as an unknown command in my console

Paegus
8th December 2006, 15:54
then you're probably NOT running in the SDK base.

if only there was a logo or something on the main menu that showed exactly what executable you're using so people can tell the difference between HL2's hl2.exe and Source SDK Base's hl2.exe but since that's a rather specialized fix and far be it for valve provide means for your average user to reliably track a problem and :shockhorror: possibly even fix it for themselves at least... i find...
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/7007/cmdlinesourcetw3.png (http://www.imageshack.us)
...works nicely enough.

Boxy
8th December 2006, 16:06
Total tangent but "I know over 10,000 Steam skins yet this one eludes me, tell what it is and then I won't have to let these men indulge their...darker side".

10 points for the first man to tell me where this steam-ified quote is from.:)

Paegus
8th December 2006, 16:51
Sounds like something Dexter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773262/) would say...

and yeah, the 'flat' series steam skins are a bitch to get working properly.

waRp^
8th December 2006, 16:53
Paegus i was running the sdk, or i think so, the command worked before i changed the steamidd in the gametext to 215.

Paegus
8th December 2006, 17:06
well you'll forgive my doubting you but on my box the SDK base and other multiplayer games (CS:S, HL2DM) have it. HL2 doesn't need it since it's a single player game. why valve decided to do things this way instead of having a singular source.exe that that is shared by all the game is frankly beyond me. i guess it lets them not break stuff in other games while breaking stuff in some.

so either try the method i posted above in the Launch Options: +echo GAMENAME in HL2 and SDK base or when you start it type map d in your console. if you get a dropdown list of the HL2 maps, you're NOT using the Source SDK base as the hl2 maps are stored in the Half-Life 2 specific GCF not the general Source GCFs so will not turn up.

waRp^
8th December 2006, 17:10
actually when i start up the sdk-base it opens half-life 2:confused:

do i have to change a shortcut or something. But im confident that i am running sdk-base, since i cant create a custum server anymore

Zabiela
8th December 2006, 17:40
Scuse, but, whats +echo for?

Paegus
8th December 2006, 18:12
echo is a console command that prints whatever appears after to the console. putting +echo whatever in the launch options will cause "whatever" to be printed to the console when you start the game. It's mainly used for ingame scripts like text-based radio menus and the like.

when put in the command line in-game commands and variables need the plus in front as opposed to the usual ones that take the minus. -dxlevel is specifically a command line entry but does roughly the same thing as mat_dxlevel typed in console or +mat_dxlevel in the command line. -console brings up the console when you start the game. +toggleconsole would do the same but the ingame command is just toggleconsole without the plus.

@waRp^
honestly idk what's up with your setup. if you've installed the Source SDK base and can launch it from steam's game list you should get something that looks like the Lostcoast launch menu and be presented with Options and the Stresstest thing which takes you through the Lostcoast map. If however you're launching the Source SDK based from the steam game list and you're getting plain old Half-Life 2 complete with the ability to start a new game and so on then something is wrong.

if you're using desktop shortcuts to start the game then you've probably borked the target line's -applaunch ###.
my Source SDK version is: "E:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 215 -game "e:\program files\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\hidden"
my Half-Life 2 version is: "E:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 220 -game "e:\program files\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\hidden"
and they both work fine.

Isolation
8th December 2006, 20:18
Total tangent but "I know over 10,000 Steam skins yet this one eludes me, tell what it is and then I won't have to let these men indulge their...darker side".

10 points for the first man to tell me where this steam-ified quote is from.:)

GIVE ME A CHALLENGE BOXY!

8t-88, to Kyle Katarn whilst on Nar Shadda, talking about the disc stolen from Kyle's home with the holo message from Morgan Katarn!

That's from Jedi Knight for those who don't know.

waRp^
8th December 2006, 20:21
i didnt mean it like that, it lauches something that looks like a half life 2 menu, but its different from the old an may be like lost coast (never played it)

i dont use any shortcuts on deskop, just x-fire and my games menu in steam

Paegus
8th December 2006, 21:04
from the steam game list it'll use whatever you've put in hidden's gameinfo.txt

from the xfire menu it will use -applaunch 220. you might want to change that:

search %ProgramFiles%\XFire\xfire_games.ini for "Hidden: Source"