PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Weapons?

miteyMite
31st August 2006, 21:42
Hello. Not sure if this has been posted already. I could not find it with a few searches.

Is it possible to restrict weapons on my server? Specifically the less than lethal launcher?

Thanks for your support.

Korittke
31st August 2006, 22:24
I don't think it's possible at the moment because there's no buy events like in counterstrike. Disabling weapons in the menu would require changes in the HUD and would also require some coding since you would have to block the incoming choice of weapon XY and put another weapon for that player.

The only thing that you could do would be making a huge message in your MOTD that weapon XY is not to be used. Then you install a script that autokicks or -bans anyone who deals damage/kills with that weapon. That would be possible with Matties Eventscripts.

I'd start with the shotgun though, the LLL is fine as is.

In fact, this is the only line you need to fill in the player_death.cfg, assuming you have Mani and Matties installed:

if(event_var(weapon) equalto shotgun) then ma_ban 1440 event_var(attacker)
where 1440 = 24 hours

I just tried this and it works.
Based on player_hurt this is not possible since the 'weapon' is not included in that event, but only in player_death.

Daedalus
1st September 2006, 07:44
Don't restrict the weapons. It's not like we have as many as we have in CS.

Also weapons are balanced. Yes even the shotgun.

Korittke
1st September 2006, 12:44
The shotgun might be balanced in some wuffy fluffy land of happiness but slash from behind + pounce up immideately always gets 1 or 2 hits if they turn around and shoot, as long as the netgraph ping is anywhat higher than 30, tops 40. It doesn't matter if it's some sort of vet or some Ging who has decent reflexes from other FPSs. If the Hidden community was as big as the CS community and we could all choose our servers with pings of 20 then it'd be another story but with a good 100 servers worldwide and a Beta stage it's not.

Ging
1st September 2006, 12:48
*sigh* - the stats for the weapons point out just how wrong people are that complain that the shotgun is overpowered.

Nothing like not learning how to deal with an issue to help resolve it!

Korittke
1st September 2006, 16:05
First I'm talking about PS off servers. Second the stats don't say much since they don't put the kills in relation to the number of times the weapons are chosen. Yes, the 2000 is much better as a whole but considering how much power the shotgun gives to one single person, the shotgun is overpowered in what it is made for - close quarter engagements. I've seen very good Hiddens go down in a 1on1 on a shotgun simply because you barely need to aim. The 2000 enables one to kill over distance, shoot past teammates and avoid that TK, but the shotgun gives a single person the possibility to just shoot in some general direction, press a button and get the kill. Considering the Hidden is vageuly designed to be able to win against 6-8 enemies, I don't see how that qualifies as balanced.

The.ViruS
1st September 2006, 16:12
You should watch my Highrise video. First round Im against about 4 people with a shotgun and dont get hit once.

miteyMite
1st September 2006, 18:36
Okay well I'm using the Basic Admin Tool is there a way to restrict it like you did with Mani or should I just try to edit the weapon choice HUD to not show the LLL.

I find that this gun is a horrible part of the game...

Ging
1st September 2006, 19:02
First I'm talking about PS off servers.

and? In my experience, shotgun users are just as easy to take down as anyone else...

It's called practice. I know, learning a skill for a game is a rare thing these days, but there you have it.

Korittke
1st September 2006, 19:37
Why are you so mean, I'm trying to be constructive.

Daedalus
1st September 2006, 19:39
It's just annoying when someone gets instagibbed - when they thought they got away even.

Shotgun marines just have a lucky chance of hitting you when you attack them.

F2000 users can spray at close range, doing more or less damage, but they can kill you outright if they plant a few good hits on you.

Anyway, PS on or off, they're blanaced.

The.ViruS
1st September 2006, 20:44
Somehow I dont think too many players would stick regular to your server if a weapon was taken away.

-SM-SUCKER
1st September 2006, 20:58
No weapon should be restricted. They all have their advantages as well as disadvantages. Make sure its VAC secure and that you have some cvar blockers (or similar) running and the latest updates to keep it clean of losers.
Learn to live with the different weapons.
The capsules of the 303 are slow. When he shoots you pounce to the side.
The shotgun takes time to reload after a shot, go in AFTER he shot.
FN2000 has to reload after 30 shots and has a slow rate of fire.
P90 has to reload after 50 shots... and is damn inaccurate at bigger distances.

Clitcrab cala
2nd September 2006, 08:33
I think the hidden and the Iris have somewhat thesame chanses of winning =)

hidden with his big jumps, wallhanging, invisibility
and deadly 1 hit pigstick :P

don't whine about it :)
it's fine theway it is ;-)

miteyMite
2nd September 2006, 20:18
lol I asked a technical question not for opinions and flaming

Clitcrab cala
2nd September 2006, 21:10
well, i was just joining the crowd :rolleyes:

Isolation
2nd September 2006, 21:29
I've always felt weapon limiting should be up to a server op, regardless of "balance" or anything of the like. It lets server ops custom tune the way their server works. PS's have been limited, now Pipes are limited. Same should apply to weapons.

Most servers probably WON'T change things, but it needs to be an option.

EDIT: For the sake of arguement, I'll give an example:

I loved B2a. In fact, I miss it. Say one day I want to start up a server that plays like B2, by limiting everything except the P90, Shotgun, LAM and Flashlight. I should be able to do that.

hutch
2nd September 2006, 22:27
I've always felt weapon limiting should be up to a server op, regardless of "balance" or anything of the like. It lets server ops custom tune the way their server works. PS's have been limited, now Pipes are limited. Same should apply to weapons.

Most servers probably WON'T change things, but it needs to be an option.

EDIT: For the sake of arguement, I'll give an example:

I loved B2a. In fact, I miss it. Say one day I want to start up a server that plays like B2, by limiting everything except the P90, Shotgun, LAM and Flashlight. I should be able to do that.
and split the community even more..

Isolation
2nd September 2006, 22:48
*Sigh* What is there to split? What if someone WANTS a different server to play on, with different rules or settings? Just ONCE I'd like to join a pistols only PS off server. But such a thing does not exist. You're not splitting anything, just offering new ways to play.

The.ViruS
2nd September 2006, 22:55
There isnt a big enough community to give so many options. Its fine for css as thousands play but when maybe about 200 at most are online it wouldnt work well.

Korittke
2nd September 2006, 23:21
I've made the experience that a lot of players just join any server they find that has a decent ping and a free slot. You still get the question "Why my pigsticker not work??" a lot on PS off servers, but the people stay and they adapt. They don't care.

I think weapon configuration possibilities are needed as Isolation pointed out. If a specific set of rules isn't liked by the public, eventually it will get changed or the server will go down. But I don't see why so many possibilities should be ruled out. Even if some known server like Smokey's or FNFC wanted to have a day of changed rules XY this is barely possible. The only notable variables we have to change gameplay considerably are sv_pigstick and sv_cheats. Considering the mod is still Beta some more freedom as to how servers can be configured could also lead to new ideas or give some more insight into balancing and such.

Ging
2nd September 2006, 23:24
Because, as has been pointed out a number of times in the past week or so - it dilutes the experience too much... People complain about not being able to find a PS off server now, imagine what it would be like if you had to factor in if a server had certain weapons allowed or not...

It's just a plain bad idea.

miteyMite
3rd September 2006, 17:40
Since this turned into an opinion thread, I think it's a great idea to make all the weapons have an on/off option. I have found, however, that it is extremely easy to edit a file and restrict certain weapons. I suppose that someone clever could still equip weapons by using the proper command, though. I'm not sure.

For my server I couldn't care less about whether public traffic likes it. I just want to get the most out of the monthly "Hidden" event that I host within the gaming community I'm in.

Demented
3rd September 2006, 20:14
At the current time, I'd say it's not properly possible, mainly because of the nature of the Assault/Support classes.

Restricting any of the pistols means one of those classes won't get pistols. Restricting all but one primary weapon would rob one of those classes of its primary weapon. Most of the weapons, if restricted, would mess with the already questionable balance between Hidden and IRIS. Et cetera.

While you can probably trust the most server admins to keep things logical and balanced, that amount of freedom screams "this is beta" and "we're still testing things". Not that it isn't true, but still, I'm sure a British dev team would like to keep up appearances. =P

It'd be perfectly easy to make restricted weapons intuitive (thus avoiding complaints and splitting the community). The weapons would just be crossed out and say "unavailable" in the weapons screen.

Daedalus
3rd September 2006, 20:44
Because, as has been pointed out a number of times in the past week or so - it dilutes the experience too much... People complain about not being able to find a PS off server now, imagine what it would be like if you had to factor in if a server had certain weapons allowed or not...

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/852/agreewiththisks1.jpg

Korittke
3rd September 2006, 23:28
I don't get it. How can an experience be diluted? I already said that first most people don't give a shit and second you rob server owners of the possibility to configure their server in regards to the gameplay they want to see there.

Why would you do that? Do you expect people to quit playing Hidden because they can't find a filled server they like anymore? I guess it would sort itself out - shitty servers go, good servers stay and maybe can give some insight into changes that are good and ones that are not so good. And I always find a full PS off server with a ping below 50.

As long as the default game stays balanced (which is arguably not the case with PS on) there is no evil inherent in allowing people to customize their server. It would be a good change to see as has been said a pistol only server or a Support only server

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/852/agreewiththisks1.jpg
The finger and the word "agree" associate words used in elementary school.

hutch
3rd September 2006, 23:35

QFT X1000. People are bashing on one another because someone likes/dosen't like PS, what about shottie? or FN303? Or even the P90?
Please, don't allow restricted weapons.

Ging
3rd September 2006, 23:59
I don't get it. How can an experience be diluted? I already said that first most people don't give a shit and second you rob server owners of the possibility to configure their server in regards to the gameplay they want to see there.

The fact that you don't get it shows me that I shouldn't be responding to this until you do...

I've already stated my view, it won't happen and I will make it as hard as possible for servers to do so if I need to - just the way it is.

Daedalus
4th September 2006, 07:02
The finger and the word "agree" associate words used in elementary school.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but when I use image macros I'm not totally serious, kay?

Still, I don't want weapon restrictions. It's kind of frustrating sometimes when you can't find a good ps off server and on the other servers there's a couple of stick whores. Sure, there are ps off servers, but they aren't always full.

miteyMite
4th September 2006, 09:13
Is it just me or does Ging always come off as a grumpy old man?

Don't answer that.

ThunderDan
5th September 2006, 07:13
Gings issue here it the UT effect. If you play UT you know what a mutator is, and sometimes you can get really pissed off while trying to find a game because every server has different rules. Seriously everyone is different. They got like 4 different play modes. You can enable/disable any weapon, and change the firepower of any weapon. It just gets annoying.

From a small game perspective, and believe me Hidden is very small. Do you really want to have to load into one of the 4 - 10 populated servers only to find your favorite gun is disabled. We already have to eliminate half because you want PS on or off, so we have 2-5 now that you'll want to play on. Lets toss another half due to ping (1 - 3 now). Do you see where this is going.

From a server admin point I see why you want it - especially if you are hosting for a specific purpose. But - if you really need it for a specific purpose you can manually enforce it.