PDA

View Full Version : knife kill discrimination

Paegus
25th August 2006, 21:46
so can someone actually explain why it's supposed to be impossible to tell a pigstick from a slash solely because the killed with line doesn't mention the damage? all i see is that the mod team needs to change what is iirc the same output across most source games and have the killed with line include the damage, even though that damage is already logged happily in the previous line. the log tracks each hit and the integer damage done. so what's wrong with keeping the previous line on hand and if the following one (or nearest one that matches the user ids if you're just pulling lines from anywhere in no particular order) is a killed with then review the previous and see how much damage was done.

chilly
26th August 2006, 07:05
It's pretty trivial actually.

Fluffy
26th August 2006, 08:01
it actually takes some reprogramming of the stats setup to figure out the difference between the slash and the pigstick because of the fact that they are technically on the same server. its the only weapon that has a secondary attack on hidden but im sure that if the fn303 had a secondary attack equivilant of the pigstick people would be asking the same question of it. of course, everyone who uses the 303 would just like for it to record stats...

Paegus
26th August 2006, 12:21
well yeah everything takes a bit of reprogramming but it's not that complicated. an easy fix imo... or trivial as chilly puts it. though the ambiguous nature of his reply could be refering to anything :D

it's just an extra string buffer and maybe 2 if statements. 1 if you want to be fancy and less legible/future-idiot-friendly about it.

crappy pseudo-code ensues:
if killed_with is knife then
if previous_line_damage is 925 (or whatever) then
pigstick_kill
else
slash_kill
else if killed_with is grenade then

chilly
26th August 2006, 13:42
as I said its piss easy to do and its on my list :)

RaideR
28th August 2006, 02:33
people have been asking about this for AGES now :P and as has been said many times its on chillys list.

We have alot of other comitments to attend to. So progress is allways being made but at a rate denoted by how buzy we are.

Regards,
RaideR

Paegus
28th August 2006, 11:40
don't worry i'm not trying to say "do it now fkrs!" or anything so no rush... i mean i'm not even much of a fan of the whole stats system anyway right?

it's just that when i've seen it get mentioned the response/excuse about it requiring a mod-sided fix seemed kinda silly to me.

chilly
28th August 2006, 14:53
Thats what we said when we were first starting out, then it dawned on us that a PS kill is always the same amount of damage (925) and so you can just pick up that damage line as a kill, and then ignore the kill line that comes immediately after it. As I say, its pretty easy and will get done it's just that all of us have jobs and other interests too so things dont happen as fast as they might.