PDA

View Full Version : Resetting stats every 3 months?

RANX
1st August 2006, 20:53
Where is the point in resetting the stats every 3 months? When almost opened all weaponpictures, oops reset again! Earned title masterhunter, it's gone again, or is the point you have to play 24/7? Why is are the stats reset anyway? An error; like it is so hard to reset it and then make sure to save scores and ranks. To me the point of stats are that they are never reset.
Creating a cool phenomenon, then turn it to shit...

The.ViruS
1st August 2006, 20:59
Its better so everyone has a chance to get to the top. If one person is dominanat its harder to beat. I would personally like them reset every month.

A Knife in the Dark
1st August 2006, 21:10
but the fact is whats the point of getting to the top if you only get it for like 1 month or two? and thats if you really try to keep up with everyone. It takes the glammer away from numbah 1... but i seriously don't mind anymore about the stats lol

A Knife in the Dark
1st August 2006, 21:13
back to playing only for fun i suppose :( hahaha

The.ViruS
1st August 2006, 21:21
People who reach the top20 get something added to theyre profile so they get something.

chilly
1st August 2006, 21:58
I'd just like to add that we (Raider, Virus and myself) have just had a long discussion about this and have settled for a midfield solution. Players will keep their personal stats on their profile page, but the leaderboard will be ranked over a (possibly 3 week) period, with the period leader gaining an uber point or somthing that goes toward the good stuff.

We have a few areas we still need to finalise but this is a pretty accurate description of the coming system.

Any comments/suggestions welcome!

Chilly (and the H:S team)

Paegus
1st August 2006, 23:07
so basically:
-you're going to have the leaderboard stats expire after however long so that you'll need to work to maintain your position by actively playing. if you stop your score will start to drop as the points you earned however long ago expire and are culled from your active standing.
-you checked your score yesterday and you had 953 points. you check it again today after not playing and you have 892 now because exactly 3 weeks ago you had a good day and racked up 61 kills but they just expired...
-the per player pages would have timed ratings within the expiry time and another is the accumulated total. someone who hasn't touched the game in 6 months can still have hundreds of kills shown but she or he is no longer on the board so to speak...

RANX
2nd August 2006, 01:00
...I was in the top 20 before reset, yet there is nothing added to my profile, I hate not being master hunter/ tracker anymore, I hate whining but I feel assraped... Whats the point of giving new players a chance, if they kill as much as I did they will get the same rank. Its just a dumb argument. The concept of the hidden-stats really rocks, not the way it is gonna be used, snif.

Ging
2nd August 2006, 01:05
The stats were reset yesterday due to a DB malfunction, the awards system will be coming into play with future resets.

chilly
2nd August 2006, 06:23
so basically:
-you're going to have the leaderboard stats expire after however long so that you'll need to work to maintain your position by actively playing. if you stop your score will start to drop as the points you earned however long ago expire and are culled from your active standing.
-you checked your score yesterday and you had 953 points. you check it again today after not playing and you have 892 now because exactly 3 weeks ago you had a good day and racked up 61 kills but they just expired...
-the per player pages would have timed ratings within the expiry time and another is the accumulated total. someone who hasn't touched the game in 6 months can still have hundreds of kills shown but she or he is no longer on the board so to speak...

That's pretty much on the money, I think it's a good solution (used by a fair few stats systems, I might add) for Hidden. It means (as you point out) you need to be good AND active to have a ranking. But you can be good and not active and still have awards and titles and such gained from total accumulated score.

Also there will probably be some kind of leader board leader board (if you catch my drift). Someone who is on top of the board consistently will be gaining points every cycle which go toward some other total (uber points!) which are then used to rank players.

If you have any better solutions other than what is already in place do let us know.

Zaus
2nd August 2006, 15:43
so basically:

This is probably the fairest solution. A lot of the people in this thread have no idea what skill, logic or fair play are whatsoever. The ranking system should, to some degree at least, be a reflection of a player's skill. Playing longer than everyone else != skill. There are so many flawed arguments in this thread that trying to comprehend what bizarre form of logic was used to create them is making my head hurt.

The only advantage I can see that resetting every 3 months has over the gradual erosion of old stats is that it gives you definite points as to when to collect data about who deserves "awards" and such, although with an ongoing system you could choose to collect data at the start of every third month or something, so it's not a big advantage.

With the ongoing system you could also have an "all time" top 20. If the top score was 5000 (random numbers) and someone managed to get 5100, but subsequently stopped playing (causing their score to drop down as old data is deleted), their score of 5100 could be recorded as the all time high, until somebody else manages to get more than 5100 in 3 months (or however long the stats last).

Kasim Slovak
3rd August 2006, 09:30
I totally agree to that. By now the ranking system just highlights the sickest 24/7- players :D

I would give points dependend on a players "skill", including teamwounding, teamkilling, suicides, nooby-180-turn-1hit-shotgun-kills ;), time-played, use of nades, physics, ...

Might be more difficult to implement but is by far more significant than counting kills minus death.

Dies ist der Wahrheit (that's the truth) :)

chilly
3rd August 2006, 09:47
Well I am no stranger to stats and analysis (being a university level maths student) so I am happy to have a sit down and write a big nasty ranking algorithm, but I think there is definitely a case for simpler ranking. Perhaps I could offer a few ranking modes, what you think of that?

kenny87
3rd August 2006, 16:11
Seperating PS-off and PS-on servers would be nice.

chilly
3rd August 2006, 17:45
You want seperate ranks for each map, weapon, mode of play, ping range, nick length....

I can see the case for PS on and off stats but tbh I cant be bothered and I'm not sure it would be worth it even if I could.

RANX
4th August 2006, 09:36
..I started a tread about resetting, not about the properties of the stats. Nothing wrong with that.

chilly
4th August 2006, 09:41
Show me a thread that hasnt gone off-topic and I'll show you an honest politician.

kenny87
5th August 2006, 00:12
Ok... is it atleast possible to seperate slash kills and pigstick kills?

starstriker1
5th August 2006, 00:49
The damage difference should be enough for that.